Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
TaylorZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Tuning options?

Ok guys, need some guidance here. About a month ago I got a 2013 ZL1. Love it. I’m foaming at the mouth to do the exhaust. I’m going to delete the cats, and go with the stainles works retro chambered cat back. This will obviously give me a check engine light due to the cats. It will drive me insane if I leave it lol.

SO

Do I need to have a shop do a dyno tune? Or is there anyone out there that sells a handheld tuner with a pre loaded tune to get rid of the check engine light?

This is my first Chevrolet. So Im not sure what companies work with my car.

Thanks guys!
TaylorZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:30 AM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
IDK if other tuners like the popular SCT tuner can do that. I purchased hp tuners non-pro version to do as you said. You will want them to leave the front o2's functional and disable error notifications on the rear o2's. The rear o2's can physically remain in the system or not. The fronts need to mounted properly. Some people have had to mount an extension in the wires and or tubing to keep them working properly. I did not.
Smog check is a different story. Also I think when you reflash smog systems go back to not ready status. Evap system etc. They can be very difficult to get them to self check as "ok" "ready" again. It won't throw a check engine light as they are not ready but you won't pass smog.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
1LEric

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LE
You can buy an Sct from dyno Steve and he gives remote tunes with purchase
1LEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
TaylorZL1

Thanks for the replies! Yeah I’m cool with going with a helandheld tuner or a dyno tune. I just don’t want to have the check engine light. Self tuning I’m not comfortable with because I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to that. Where I live doesn’t do a smog test so I’m good there.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
TaylorZL1

Calling dyno Steve?!?! Help a brother out! Lol
Old 08-05-2018, 05:16 AM   #6
ImBrokeAF

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe
Here is a link to Steve's store

https://www.rdpstore.com/
ImBrokeAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
TaylorZL1

Thanks man!
Old 08-20-2018, 12:36 AM   #8
TaylorZL1

I found some stainless works cat delete pipes on dynonstevs store site. Will this allow me to use the stainless works cat back and delete the cats without having to buy long tubes?
Old 08-20-2018, 04:19 AM   #9
pavlos1

Drives: 2018 red hot zl/1 camaro
go with dyno steve tune .he will set you up .good luck!
pavlos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #10
TaylorZL1

Yeah I’m def going to order a tuner from him. Just need to know if I can keep the stock manifolds and delete the cats or if I have to buy long tubes. Couple shops here advised long tubes but I’d rather not shoulder the extra expense right now
Old 08-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #11
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
You can do whatever you are thinking without buying long tubes. You can also get a tune from Jannetty Motorsports. Long tubes make a world of difference on our cars which is why it's being suggested. I did long tubes and noweeds diverters, Car sounds like a monster. Jannetty did my tune. You could also get HPTuners as suggested by another and tune it out yourself.

https://jannettyracing.com/collectio...x4-power-flash
Old 08-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
TaylorZL1

Thanks for the advice man! Yeah I will end up doing long tubes in the future, but for now I’ll go catback and cat delete. Then once I have enough cash saved I’ll pull the trigger in long tubes, cold air intake, and a pulley swap. I work in sales so it worries me to spend too much at once Incase my numbers are low for a month or something. One step at a time lol. Unfortunately ����
Old 09-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #13
TaylorZL1

im Sure most of you already know this, but I have to mention how awesome Dyno Steve is. Such a stand up guy. I’m having some issues with finding a shop that will delete the cats and some tech issues with the tuner, but Steve is really going above and beyond to get things sorted out for me. I will be a return customer of his for life, not even joking. Even if there is a part somewhere else that is cheaper....I’m still buying from Dyno Steve. He takes care of his ppl. If anyone is curious about where to go for their mods, go to the link to his store that was posted above, you won’t regret it!