Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-29-2021, 09:58 PM   #1
Camaro23$$

Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2012 2SS
Just Picked Up A ZL1!

Hello, I just purchased a Yellow 2013 ZL1! What a freaking cool car. It only has 17K miles on it. Super excited about this car! For all you ZL1 owners out there is there anything I should know about this car? Cool features that aren’t obvious? This is all new to me on this one!

Ill post some pics tomorrow. I just got it today and its dark. Thank you!

2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3, GPI SS1 Cam, GPI Cam Kit, LS9 Head Gasket, Upgraded Valley Cover, Upgraded Crank Bolt, Lifter Trays, CHE Trunnion Kit, BTR Platinum Valve Springs, GPI Hardened Push Rods, GPI Phase Limiter, Upgraded Lifters, Corsa Dual Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Headers.
Camaro23$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:31 AM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro23$$ View Post
Hello, I just purchased a Yellow 2013 ZL1! What a freaking cool car. It only has 17K miles on it. Super excited about this car! For all you ZL1 owners out there is there anything I should know about this car? Cool features that aren’t obvious? This is all new to me on this one!

Ill post some pics tomorrow. I just got it today and its dark. Thank you!
There is adjustment and modes for the HeadsUpDisplay. Took me a while to figure out there were hard to see buttons for that. The rear tires tend to get bald
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:10 AM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Most important thing if it's running stock tires is to make sure they are warm before getting on it. Dont wrap it around a pole on day one.

Watch the GM videos on PTM modes. Good info there.

Great car is stock mode but if you add a few basic mods the car wakes up real fast. The LSA engine is amazing.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:53 AM   #4
Camaro23$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Most important thing if it's running stock tires is to make sure they are warm before getting on it. Dont wrap it around a pole on day one.

Watch the GM videos on PTM modes. Good info there.

Great car is stock mode but if you add a few basic mods the car wakes up real fast. The LSA engine is amazing.
Thank you, I saw the post with the videos but they dont show up for me? I see where they were but there is not video. Not sure why.

Also what mods are you talking about? Intake, headers, exhaust? Anything else that’s basic that helps? So excited to have this car and the LSA!

2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3, GPI SS1 Cam, GPI Cam Kit, LS9 Head Gasket, Upgraded Valley Cover, Upgraded Crank Bolt, Lifter Trays, CHE Trunnion Kit, BTR Platinum Valve Springs, GPI Hardened Push Rods, GPI Phase Limiter, Upgraded Lifters, Corsa Dual Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Headers.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
rednecks70

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
So how does the ZL1 compare to the 2012 you have? I upgraded from a 4th gen, huge difference!

I know a cam really wakes up the ss.
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:31 PM   #6
Bax-ZL1

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I have long tubes and an intake for it if you’re interested dm me.

It has launch control and no lift shift from the factory which is awesome!
Bax-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #7
Camaro23$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecks70 View Post
So how does the ZL1 compare to the 2012 you have? I upgraded from a 4th gen, huge difference!

I know a cam really wakes up the ss.
I haven’t driven the ZL1 much yet. Just a test drive and then home. So I haven’t played with it to much and haven’t turned off the PTM mode to see how that feels.

That being said the 2012 SS still feels like it has more power. A noticeable difference. But ya I haven’t gotten way into the ZL1 yet. But I have a feeling the SS is still going to be more of a beast for now.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #8
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

CAI and 10% overdrive pully is the min.

I'd install a catch can to prevent the blow bye oil from being recycled back into your engine.

You can read my mod list below for a good guild but then your into tune territory. ��
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
If your ZL1 is low on supercharger coolant which is common you might be losing some hp.
Factory stock ZL1 auto is around 480wheel hp. Your SS should be around 445whp, so you can see seat of the pants might not be so different. The positive displacement supercharger makes the instant power at midrange you won't get in the SS that can be fun to spin tires.
The sweet spot in the ZL1 has been mentioned, to add 75hp or more, and e85 is a fun add on albeit not on a low budget because it requires more injector and fuel pump solution.
There are good reasons to keep the ZL1 stock. The smile factor goes way up when its awakened with another 75hp+ or more added.
The NA car is limited to what streetable and budget hp you can make
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599964

I'm not saying the SS isn't going to be fun, that's what I'd do to one if I had it, just that the ZL1 is capable of much more if that's where you want to be.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:10 AM   #10
Camaro23$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
CAI and 10% overdrive pully is the min.

I'd install a catch can to prevent the blow bye oil from being recycled back into your engine.

You can read my mod list below for a good guild but then your into tune territory. ��
Thank you. Where would I purchase the Catch can? Sorry super new to all of this. Thank you for the info. I’ll definitely take a look at your mod list! Oh and where could I get the pulley? Would GPI have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
If your ZL1 is low on supercharger coolant which is common you might be losing some hp.
Factory stock ZL1 auto is around 480wheel hp. Your SS should be around 445whp, so you can see seat of the pants might not be so different. The positive displacement supercharger makes the instant power at midrange you won't get in the SS that can be fun to spin tires.
The sweet spot in the ZL1 has been mentioned, to add 75hp or more, and e85 is a fun add on albeit not on a low budget because it requires more injector and fuel pump solution.
There are good reasons to keep the ZL1 stock. The smile factor goes way up when its awakened with another 75hp+ or more added.
The NA car is limited to what streetable and budget hp you can make
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599964

I'm not saying the SS isn't going to be fun, that's what I'd do to one if I had it, just that the ZL1 is capable of much more if that's where you want to be.

Thank you for the info. And I apologize but what would add 75HP? I’m assuming The headers and intake? Is that what you mean by sweet spot? I would love to add another 75! That would be awesome. And I do agree. The SS is much more limited which is why I wanted the ZL1. For the potential and the fact that it should be higher HP stock than my SS. Along with not having to dig into the motor to wake it up like the SS.

It’s only got 17K miles on it so I dont think it would be low on supercharger coolant but maybe? I haven’t had much play time with it. I’d like to try sport mode and or turn all modes off for the raw car itself to test it. I definitely want that smile factor your talking about

Last edited by Camaro23$$; 12-03-2021 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:13 AM   #11
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro23$$ View Post
Thank you. Where would I purchase the Catch can? Sorry super new to all of this. Thank you for the info. I’ll definitely take a look at your mod list! Oh and where could I get the pulley? Would GPI have it?

Thank you for the info. And I apologize but what would add 75HP? I’m assuming The headers and intake? Is that what you mean by sweet spot? I would love to add another 75! That would be awesome. And I do agree. The SS is much more limited which is why I wanted the ZL1. For the potential and the fact that it should be higher HP stock than my SS. Along with not having to dig into the motor to wake it up like the SS.

It’s only got 17K miles on it so I dont think it would be low on supercharger coolant but maybe? I haven’t had much play time with it. I’d like to try sport mode and or turn all modes off for the raw car itself to test it. I definitely want that smile factor your talking about
75 rwhp is 10% lower plus belt, CAI, and good tune, recommend JRE. I have a 10% lower and belt stored in the garage attic somewhere but you would still need to purchase and ATI dampener.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
ZLs handle and steer very well. I agree, make sure that you have adequate heat on your tires. If you are vain about appearance, you may want to look at some rock chip protection products in your travels.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #13
Camaro23$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
75 rwhp is 10% lower plus belt, CAI, and good tune, recommend JRE. I have a 10% lower and belt stored in the garage attic somewhere but you would still need to purchase and ATI dampener.
Oh ok so no headers? That makes it easy. Thank you for clarifying. Now to look for a tuner? GPI says they wont remote tune a ZL1 due to to many variables. I have no clue where to go where I am located in Spokane WA area. Let me know what you want for it. Thank you

Old 12-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #14
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

You can run JRE no tune package found here.

https://jannettyracing.com/collectio...015-camaro-zl1

But you'll end up running the tune package after a while... its just too much fun.

https://jannettyracing.com/products/...015-camaro-zl1

And then realized your missing out on even more fun with their 125rwhp package! Lol. It's kinda how this mod think goes.

https://jannettyracing.com/products/...015-camaro-zl1
Attached Images