Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
HardrockSS
Drive Fast Take Chances

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary SS
Hard Brake Pedal

I’m having a issue when braking hard after heavy acceleration. My pedal feels very hard and really have to push hard to stop. Just installed 6 piston Stoptech upfront, stock rears. Fresh fluid. Possibly loosing vacuum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Do you get a hard pedal only after hard acceleration? With heavy acceleration/going WOT there is less vacuum in the manifold so I guess that would create a weaker vacuum for the brake booster. Do you still have the original master cylinder or did you upgrade it to a bigger one (such as a ZL1 one)? If you get a hard pedal all of the time, then assuming everything was installed properly there could be an issue with the brake booster (hose from intake manifold leaking; booster leaking; etc.).
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
HardrockSS
Drive Fast Take Chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Do you get a hard pedal only after hard acceleration? With heavy acceleration/going WOT there is less vacuum in the manifold so I guess that would create a weaker vacuum for the brake booster. Do you still have the original master cylinder or did you upgrade it to a bigger one (such as a ZL1 one)? If you get a hard pedal all of the time, then assuming everything was installed properly there could be an issue with the brake booster (hose from intake manifold leaking; booster leaking; etc.).

I still have the stock one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 05:38 AM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Just a guess, but maybe with less vacuum in the manifold (weaker brake booster) and a possibly undersized master cylinder you'll get inadequate braking until the engine RPM's drop. Maybe someone with the same setup as you will chime in.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
There is a good possibility you are in ICE Mode. What oads are you using the the six pot stoptechs?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
HardrockSS
Drive Fast Take Chances

I'm using the Gs-1 for the street, but this was happening with the stock brakes too.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
HardrockSS
Drive Fast Take Chances

I did find a tear in the vacuum hose ,hopefully this fixes it.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #8
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardrockSS View Post
I did find a tear in the vacuum hose ,hopefully this fixes it.
Bingo!
Old 07-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
Ttwerie

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible LT1
Hard brake pedal

Help
Hard break pedal and brakes not responsive usually on a cold start. Just had tires rotated and problem occurred after. It seems only upon initial start. Once overcome brakes work fine!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Vacuum??
Ttwerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #10
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttwerie View Post
Help
Hard break pedal and brakes not responsive usually on a cold start. Just had tires rotated and problem occurred after. It seems only upon initial start. Once overcome brakes work fine!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Vacuum??
Mine does this too but only after the car sits for 3+ days. I only discovered this when I started working from home. Starting every day or every 2 days, it’s fine. I had no work done to my car. Other than that, once the car turns over, the pedal releases and works normally.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #11
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Is the ZL1 master cylinder different than any other V8 car???
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote