Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
KevinHoward8509

Drives: 2014 camaro ss 1LE
strange vs Ford 9 inch

I am redoing my car this winter and am contemplating what setup to go with.

Going forged 416 with an F1A should make 900 to the tires without an issue.

My issue is what rear end setup should I go with?

between the strange dana setup and the ford 9 inch I am hesitant on which to choose.

Whats everyone's opinion on ride quality and traction. the Ford is $400 more so price is not a factor.

I want my car to hook as good as possible so going with a conversion setup like a 9 inch how will that work with parts and i have heard some issues in the past with clearance issues with exhaust? another concern is if and when something lets go EVERYTHING goes with it. where if i blow the center section out of the strange it only takes out the center section.

Will there be much of a ride quality difference in everyone's opinion? the car will be 99% street as i dont really have any intentions on taking it to the track more than once.

im assuming the 9 inch will be stronger and take more of a beating but with the strange being a direct factory bolt on i am assuming i can just call BMR and get whatever traction type parts i want to get

Car is a M6 as well

Modifications are as follows:

Engine, Procharger P-1 Stage 2 Kit Intercooled, HP Tuner, AEM Wideband with Gauge, TSP Supercharger Camshaft 224/240 .615/.615 112 +3, Brian Tooley Dual Valve Springs, Brian Tooley Chromoly Pushrods
Brian Tooley Titanium Retainers, GM 3 Bolt Conversion, New GM Oil Pump, Injector Dynamics ID 1050x Injectors, Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers , Kooks 3" Catted (Hollowed Out), JBA Power Cable Ignition Wires, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, Mighty Mouse Oil Catch Can, Edelbrock (Red) Valve Covers
KevinHoward8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX427 TT
I have had a slew of differentials in the car: the stock SS, Hammerhead, ZL1 with 3.73 and 3.23, and the DSS 9". I have to say, I think the ZL1 differential was probably the best bang for the buck, and the stock axles held very nicely compared to the pricey aftermarkets. Negatively, only the 3.23 and 3.73 gears are offered but those would work for most folks. I have not heard of any valid complaints with either the Strange or 9"; but I do think after running the diffs I have, the 9" eats up more power than the others I've had (I have not had the Strange). I have not heard of anyone thrashing a Strange or 9" with power around what you're claiming. I think the Strange has a few more gear options, like 3.54 / 3.73 / 4.10 / 4.30. The 9" has the whole gamete of gear options. As for clearance, I did not have any issue with any of the ones I've had, but I'm stock ride height with regular non-offset diff bushings. As for ride, I didn't notice anything other than the noise(s) each one made (but that's mostly setup).

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX427 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalzer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Fore Triple Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 3.25 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Documento View Post
Well. You can actually just buy a new ford. There're several good models that age extremely well and cost close to nothing. Alternatively, you can just buy one to use for spare parts. I bet you will spend less money than on overhaul remodeling. 2014 Escape SE can be found for just $10.000.
Even if he bought a Ford, he would have to put an LS in it to make it fast.

I know this numbskull will never see it, but I couldn't resist.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Strange is hard to beat in my opinion.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #5
fireman1153

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have the strange s60 in my car and love it. It takes a beating and I was also "told" (I don't have proof) that it will rob less wheel horsepower from your car. I feel that my car rides just as good as it did when I installed it. I am running the DSS 1400hp axles with it.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - 416 stroker, F1A-94 procharger, BTR blower cam, Big Red race valve, AGP intercooler, Alky dual nozzle kit, ZL1 fuel pump with DSX Aux pump, DSX flex fuel sensor, Bosch 210 injectors, Mcleod RXT1200 clutch, MGW flat stick, Tick Performance Level 3 trans, DSS 3.5 aluminum driveshaft, Strange S60 rear, DSS 1400hp axles, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, X-pipe and MBRP muffler delete, BMR lowering springs, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Poly motor mounts, RevShift trans mount instert, rear sub frame braces, Tuned by Joey at Pure Fabrication in Panama City, FL
fireman1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
I don’t know that the independent Ford 9” is any stronger than the GM ZL1 rear.it has a 9.9” ring with a cast Iron Housing.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:29 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I run a DSS 9", with a Strange center section and a Wavetrack diff.... DSS 1400 HP axles and I've thrashed on it for years running north of 2000 RWHP.... No issues....

As to the comments referencing the exhaust clearance, I also run dual 3.5 inch exhaust, in the tunnel with a 4" one piece driveshaft and the exhaust is routed in the factory location.... I'll stipulate, I removed some of the "foil" type heat shielding and the tunnel brace.... As hard as I run the lack of a tunnel brace has never been an issue....
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #8
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I run a DSS 9", with a Strange center section and a Wavetrack diff.... DSS 1400 HP axles and I've thrashed on it for years running north of 2000 RWHP.... No issues....

As to the comments referencing the exhaust clearance, I also run dual 3.5 inch exhaust, in the tunnel with a 4" one piece driveshaft and the exhaust is routed in the factory location.... I'll stipulate, I removed some of the "foil" type heat shielding and the tunnel brace.... As hard as I run the lack of a tunnel brace has never been an issue....
Looks badass and performs im sure!
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 10psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote