Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 01-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Hockey withdrawl...want to get NHL 2013

I have not owned a game console in many years but I am downright anxious to get the NHL season started and to get excited about it, and I'm considering buying EA Sports NHL 2013

I play games on my PC, but they are air combat simulations, F1 racing sims, etc.

But EA's website is awful in my opinion. I just spent ten minutes there and the only thing I saw was basically "its awesome! It has 'Features'!"

So. Questions:

1) what console would you recommend?

2) In what play mode can I make my own player?

3) what's the deal with the game overall? Good and bad points

4) what's so special about Hockey Ultimate Team? The players are already in the game, if it's the 2013 NHL season. I don't get it

5) is it possible to make my own team? I'd love to take a rookie expansion team into an NHL season, or to make an NHL all time greats team to play against current NHL all stars

Well, gotta go...my take-out sashimi arrived. Wish me luck
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Get a Sega Genesis, and NHL 92 or 96. Last hockey game I liked.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Okay, well, that's a good opinion, thanks for telling me what you liked. can you help with what I might like now?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Not really, I don't play current EA titles because generally they are not to par on quality and they continue to remove game play features and simplify things for the worse.
I would not feel right recommending you a console or a NHL game from the current generation, sorry.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

On par with the quality of what? What is the contemporary competition? Can you explain how the "features" of NHL 96 are superior to NHL 2013, or how NHL 96 is a better game because of added complexity, in an objective manner?

OK, I get it, you don't like EA sports titles. Your suggestions for games that are 17 years old will not have current NHL rules or players. I could get a C64 emulator for my PC and play Mindscape's Superstar Ice Hockey too, but what's that got to do with the 2013 NHL season?

All you're saying is "that sucks". Sorry but without providing a counterpoint you're not convincing me. Do a little compare and contrast, a break down of pluses and minuses for each title and why they are positives or negatives. Sell me on it.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Well, decided to get blu-ray too so I got a PS3, and bought NHL 2013.

Nothing simple about it. It's quite complex and difficult to play. So many features I don't know what to do...except I'm making a 1971 Bruins team and a Charlestown Chiefs team, and all the players. You can choose the type of skates a free agent has, what he looks like, what stick he uses, which has a dynamic based on curve and type, plus the player's weight and height, you can choose a name for the player that the play by play announcers will use, my last name is even on the list, design your own team logo, type of jersey, colors, etc

You can set rules, etc

You have to aim your shots with one stock as you use the other to actually shoot, two types of passes, you can manually deke, skate backwards at will, fighting is first person, play against the boards involves caging the puck or trapping your opponent, then digging the puck out or waiting till the play is dead, faceoffs can be taken forhand or backhand, or you can just tie up the other center, you can crowd him in the circle, you can pretty much do it all and I'm overwhelmed. Very detailed and frustrating to remember all the inputs to do anything which means it's pretty awesome, really
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

I just finished making a custom team, with an all custom roster- the Chiefs. Made every player on the team, and I added them to an AHL season. The Hansons are getting a lot of penalties, I may have to edit some aggressiveness out of them, lol.

I'll be making a couple vintage teams, like the '71-'72 Canadiens, the '70-'71 Bruins, a Bruins greats team, etc

There's 'Hockey Superstars' in the game. But no Ray Bourque? No Bobby Orr? No Jean Beliveau or Doug Harvey? Bobby Hull? No. Mikita, Esposito? No, no. No Messier? He was maybe the most solid two way player of the modern era...no MESSIER?? Mahovlich, Clarke, Joliat? The Sedins are there, but no Larry Robinson?? No Gordie HOWE???

Well, I can fix that!