Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
RACERJOE1

Drives: 2014 2SS
Clear bra replacement

Has anyone had to replace/remove their clear bra?
My wife has terrible depth perception and has scuffed/peeled the clear bra at both front corners, it did protect the paint, but is now peeling back and looks like crap.
Attached Images

Last edited by RACERJOE1; 11-25-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Add photo
RACERJOE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Spike III Build 2011 IBM 1SS/RS [COTW 6/25/12]

I removed mine off the mirrors,Pillars,& acrosss the roof a 6 in. strip. I used a hair dryer on low heat. It came off very easy just don't hurry at it. I had to use some Goo Gone on the whole area to clean it up. Then washed, clay bared the whole car detailed buffed and waxed.

My clear bra was on for years. Paint still looks awesome
Attached Images

Last edited by BLU DUCE; 11-25-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: pics
BLU DUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
RACERJOE1

A graphics company nearby wants $100.00 to remove my clear bra, maybe I'll try it myself with a hair drier/heat gun like you did, thanks. Hope I don't regret this...….
Old 11-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Spike III Build 2011 IBM 1SS/RS [COTW 6/25/12]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERJOE1 View Post
A graphics company nearby wants $100.00 to remove my clear bra, maybe I'll try it myself with a hair drier/heat gun like you did, thanks. Hope I don't regret this...….
I wouldn't use a heat gun I'm not sure how low of a heat you can go. cause you want some warm air. And when yo start pulling the clear bra off do it slow.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I've had clear bra (Avery Nanofusion) on my 2013 ZL12 since I bought it 6 years ago.
Last year I peeled it off the mirrors with just my hands. No heat needed. Came off perfectly.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Use a Heat Gun on a low setting, just enough to allow the adhesive to release. The film will melt before any damage to the paint will happen. Start at a corner, or edge and begin heating until you can get the film to start to pull up.

Think about how hot the paint on a black car will get in the direct summer sun. You don't need to build even that much heat to allow the adhesive to release.

You may be able to pull the bra using no heat but you risk leaving a lot of adhesive residue on the paint to clean off, or worse yet, actually damaging the paint.

How do I know?

I decided to remove, and have replaced the 10 year old XPEL Clear Bra on my 2006 Pontiac GTO earlier this Fall. I started with no heat as I'd done several times in the past with no issues.
Hmm... Pulled a small chip of paint off the leading edge of the driver's side, Side Skirt. No big deal, I can fix that.

Leading Edge of the passenger's side Side Skirt

Shit!

I used my heat gun to remove the film from my front fascia extension. It came off much smoother and easier with little residue left on the paint to clean off, and no paint damage.

I'll be picking up the repaired, and repainted Side Skirts on Friday.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Heat gun on low or a blow dryer will work fine. The adhesive residue is the biggest hurdle to tackle. Goo Gone took mine off but was a very slow process. Instead you should get a bottle of Rapid-Tac Rapid Remover. This is the best stuff made for adhesive residue.

Keep the PPF at an angle, around 45*, when you pull it off.

Here's a thread I made a few years ago with a video for the process and before/after pictures of my car.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423610

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
XPEL

Drives: All Makes and Models
Clear Bra Removal

Quote:
Has anyone had to replace/remove their clear bra?
My wife has terrible depth perception and has scuffed/peeled the clear bra at both front corners, it did protect the paint, but is now peeling back and looks like crap.
RacerJoe1,

Professional removal of the film is recommended. However, when professional removal is not possible, the film may be removed as follows:

Removal of paint protection film should be done with a steamer. It will keep the film pliable and wet so that it can be “stretched” off the vehicle. Peel one corner of the film up with your fingernail. Pull the film towards you at a shallow angle less than 45 degrees (see figure attached). This angle is important to ensure sure that the adhesive comes off with the film rather than staying on the paint. The film should “stretch” off the car. If any adhesive is left on the car, use a general adhesive remover to help loosen it.

Name:  XPEL_Instructional.Car_.Graphic_Gray.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  104.2 KB
XPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
I used 3M Adhesive Remover and a microfiber towel.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #10
RACERJOE1

Thanks for all the great responses, I'll give it a try with a hair drier in a couple weeks, have to clear out my shop for room first.

BRZN, hope the paint repair went good....great color!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #11
RACERJOE1

XPEL, can you show an example of what type of steamer you mentioned?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #12
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
Thanks for all the great responses, I'll give it a try with a hair drier in a couple weeks, have to clear out my shop for room first.

BRZN, hope the paint repair went good....great color!
Paint repair is perfect! Painter knew how particular I am and treated me as such. He kept my car in one of his garages away from his shop to keep the car from getting dusty. I removed the side skirts, and spoiler for him, he removed the hood to do some paint work on it, and took only the hood into the shop. I pulled the hood scoops and washer nozzles. He sanded and buffed the parts to match the appearance of the rest of the car. I'll do a small amount of polishing to the parts before I get the front clip wrapped in Clear Bra next spring. He even worked with me on delivery and pick up based on the weather knowing the car doesn't get driven in the rain. Cost? Just shy of $1,500