Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #113
ZL1Bullet

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanti View Post
My understanding is that the PZero tire is rated as a summer tire, like the GY F1 that is stock on the ZL1, but the GY F1 has a higher rating. TireRack recommends the GY F1 over the PZero as a better performer. I don't see an advantage to the PZero unless it is to have two sets of summer rated tires. Please, what am I missing?
I have the PZeros on my ZL1 now for only one reason - they are supposed to have a longer life. I'm not racing on them. I kept the F1s for that. My objective is to extend my 'fun' time on the track with the F1s by not using them as daily drivers. The price was right too. Otherwise, would I have purchased these tires to replace the F1s - I don't believe so. So Asanti, unless there was a huge price incentive I think you're on the money (pardon the pun).

ZL1Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #114
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Bullet View Post
Side note - For the Canadian owners of 2013 ZL1s, 153 have been produced to date for Canada.
Just curious, where did you get that production number from.

From the number of ZL1 Verts that have entered their VIN's on Camaro5 as as on the ZL1 Registery web site, I would have guessed the number would be much lower than that.

So far I've seen less than 100 ZL1 Verts listed, and that would cover all countries.

Again, just curious.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #115
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Bullet View Post
I have the PZeros on my ZL1 now for only one reason - they are supposed to have a longer life. I'm not racing on them. I kept the F1s for that. My objective is to extend my 'fun' time on the track with the F1s by not using them as daily drivers. The price was right too. Otherwise, would I have purchased these tires to replace the F1s - I don't believe so. So Asanti, unless there was a huge price incentive I think you're on the money (pardon the pun).
Ah, see, I thought I was missing something. Of course a great reason is to extend the life of both sets. Didn't think of that. Thanks for filling me in.
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #116
ZL1Bullet

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Just curious, where did you get that production number from.

From the number of ZL1 Verts that have entered their VIN's on Camaro5 as as on the ZL1 Registery web site, I would have guessed the number would be much lower than that.

So far I've seen less than 100 ZL1 Verts listed, and that would cover all countries.

Again, just curious.
I was talking to one of the service people at GM and asked how many '13s are in Canada. She had the figures. She was the one who called me about the tires. This number would include both verts and coupes but only '13s.

I had heard that a total of 300 would stay here in Canada. Someone else here had said that number was way too high. But the number came from the Regional Sales Manager at GM... I'd hope he would know.

ZL1Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #117
MY CA.ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #698
As a rule it is always a gamble to get on it a little in cold winter,even if you have done this a number of times,it only takes once and that is being used to this kind of power.Even in calf.the temps have been in the mid 30s at night and the low 40s in the morning.look at my pics in my alblum and see what can happen to your ZL1 and that is with having many years with very fast cars,boats and bikes.MY BAD.So be extra careful with these tires in the cold.In fact be extra careful.

Last edited by MY CA.ZL1; 03-11-2013 at 10:51 AM.
MY CA.ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #118
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY CA.ZL1 View Post
As a rule it is always a gamble to get on it a little in cold winter,even if you have done this a number of times,it only takes once and that is being used to this kind of power.Even in calf.the temps have been in the mid 30s at night and the low 40s in the morning.look at my pics in my alblum and see what can happen and that is with having many years with very fast cars,boats and bikes.MY BAD.So be extra careful with these tires in the cold.In fact be extra careful.
You got the right idea. Be extra careful...period!
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #119
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
I just put Michelin PSS on P285 front P295 back it was raining mid 50F yesterday the tires work great . Today going to work at 4AM 49 to 50F out side nail in first gear 2800 RPM to test the grip of the tire in the cold the car hook strait up no spin . The Michelins PSS are great tire just not cheap.
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #120
RyanMatthewMiller

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callchuck View Post
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Pirelli P Zero installed on the ZL1 for everyday driving?

I know I'm way late to this thread but right now I have GM 21" wheels looking to switch to ZL1 style wheels for my SS. I currently run Pirelli P zeros and I believe they have them in the appropriate size for the zl1 20" however, I am not really a huge fan of the Pzero, not only are they extremely expensive, $2,200 for the tires mounted on my 21's, but they simply just don't last long enough IMHO. Sounds like continental might be the way to go they are much more fairly priced.
RyanMatthewMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #121
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I have decied I just don't like these tires for a street car. If lived in a warmer state they would not bother me the grip in low temperatures just is not woth it.

when these wear out michelin Super sports are going on.
I agree with you. I have a 1LE and was driving it until November. As the temperature dipped below 5c (about 40f) I could really feel the difference - the ride which was already hard to begin within, now felt like rock wheels driving on rocks. And though I didn't skid or lose control, the car "felt" much more slippery. A normal start from a red light, without any extra gas and with the usual traction controls on (default) still caused my wheels to spin.

The Camaro 1LE is definitely not a car to drive in cold weather.

Above 10c it handles perfectly after only a few minutes of tire warm-up. Above 15c it's the sweetest highway ride you can imagine.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote