Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #29
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Dyno numbers dont mean anything but they will get you in the ballpark.....I have had low dyno numbered cars from a heart breaker dyno that killed cars that made more power on a different dyno.

His 124 trap speed is what you should be chasing instead....
As the manager says in Office Space, "Yeaaaa". I think driving skill plays way more of a part in road racing than drag racing. You get outrun on the straights and then make it more than up with your knowledge of the track, line, and skill. You have too much seat time.

Agreed that comparing different dynos runs don't tell the whole story. They do help you know if a change you made helped or hurt your car. The proof is in the real world where the driver makes a big difference. And anyone can see when looking at my times I am an amateur still learning.

Agreed too about MPH. His 124 shows the power. And this was on a night where my car was struggling to get to 117. That is alot to make up. I have to beat him while he is still struggling to get below mid-high 1.8s 60'. Once he gets that down game over.

So my answer to that would have to be to swap my LS3 + TTs into a Mazda RX7. Then I will need a roll bar and he will be thinking of adding nitrous. Would it ever end?

Last edited by Fraxum; 05-16-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #30
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK2DRUL View Post
Just be glad that he didn't do twin turbos as well....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
I say pull the pin and go big. It may end in a fireball but you'll beat and that's all that matters.

In all seriousness anything can be done and above comment about cubic $$ is a great way of putting it. They are a good competitor with the way the Mustangs are set up but you could always invite him to a track day so he knows how it feels
"Pull the pin and go big." I will have to remember that. Funny! But how you could have come by that saying is not.

I am sure even if he had the Paxton and my 1LE was stock I could wipe up a track with his 5.0. Not that he couldn't learn tracking fast, and not that I am Ayrton Senna, but a base Mustang GT 5.0 Auto is no Boss, not even a Miata.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #31
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yes, he can turn it up. But I think a 5.0 @ 650 RWHP is a bit delicate. Advantage LS3. And my HP is easier on the LS3 given turbos. My turbos are good for 950 RWHP so I'm told (LOL). I would win a power race. He would need an Aluminator Coyote.

Hooking with either car without spending big $$ is the issue. Which is why I started at 4lbs. Right now that is the perfect number for the street. Adjustable boost coming later.

Plus he promised me he would not go bigger boost! Should I trust him? However better DRs are coming for him.
You are wasting your time Lol. Like I said if drag racing is your thing you picked the wrong car. BTW your turbos are not easier on the engine than his Paxton. There is no huge instant tq spike with a Paxton. It builds boost and power with rpm.

Last edited by Novie LE; 05-15-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Novie LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #32
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Great story...I think you can take him. Never quit, he will make a mistake. On the 3rd yellow...honk the horn.

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #33
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Here I didn't trust him. I asked for his dyno sheet. Yep 490 and his before dyno was 390 when he was running high 11s. My numbers were 422 (boltons, no tune) and 547 on a Dynojet. I think his was a Dynojet too. He asked for the smallest Paxton centrifugal, whichever that one is, or so he said.
There is only 1 Paxton head unit that comes in a kit for the new 5.0 and that's the mighty NOVI 2200SL. Most GM guys don't know how big that blower is or how much power it's capable of so I will put it into perspective. I am sure everyone here is familiar with the ECS kit for late model GM cars right? Well, that kit uses a 1500 head unit and you can see the kind of power it is putting down. The 2200 is 2 steps above the 1500 and just 1 small step below the huge Vortech YSI. It is suppose to be capable of 1000HP. Smallest Paxton my a$$,LoL. You will still always make more power per lb of boost and truckloads more torque with your setup but that's not the issue here. I think one way you could for sure beat him is in roll races. Turn the boost up on your kit to 9-10 psi and I don't even see it being much of a race from a roll.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #34
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
"Pull the pin and go big." I will have to remember that. Funny! But how you could have come by that saying is not.

I am sure even if he had the Paxton and my 1LE was stock I could wipe up a track with his 5.0. Not that he couldn't learn tracking fast, and not that I am Ayrton Senna, but a base Mustang GT 5.0 Auto is no Boss, not even a Miata.
In all honesty I really think you are going about this the right way. I had a really nice street Camaro years ago when I worked at a Speed & Fab shop and my constant need to go a little bit quicker ended with the car being trailer only with, lexan windows, 14:1 compression, port injected 350hp NOS fogger kit, etc, etc. you get the picture. While it was a very quick SBC car and I did well campaigning it at the raceways I really missed having something to go for a cruise in.

It's fun to go racing. Really, really fun. But, these are a better well rounded car that do absolutely everything very well but with compromise comes some short falls and the extra Lbs are off set with handling, great ride and safety. The car will do anything you want it to do but it is not a one trick Pony (pun intended) so if you never catch him just know in the end you have a much better overall car.

That "Pull the Pin" was something I picked up at one of the shops I was in and I can't claim the have come up with it. It did just stick though

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #35
LagunaSecaZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Right car, wrong track

I grew up in New Jersey and went to E-town in the 1980-90s. Just invite your "buddy" to this-
http://www.etownraceway.com/road_course.aspx
The results would probably be different and the 1/LE would be used as designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
You are wasting your time Lol. Like I said if drag racing is your thing you picked the wrong car. BTW your turbos are not easier on the engine than his Paxton. There is no huge instant tq spike with a Paxton. It builds boost and power with rpm.
Sold- 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6 (Black on Black), Detroit Speed Sway bars, DOT 4 Brake Fluid, separate clutch master reservoir, Moroso Catch Can. 2.11 at Thunderhill 100* ambient. Ron Davis Radiator and AFCO Heat Exchanger installed after track day, Roto-Fab CAI.
Sold- 2001 Mustang Cobra -Griggs GR40,M5, Torsen T2-R, 4.10, 14" Brembo fronts, high 1:40s at Laguna Seca
LagunaSecaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #36
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Dont spend all your money after a stupid race; its a supercharged mustang, so its alright to get beat by that. Is your car a perfect drag setup?..i guess not; drag wheels all around, weight reduction, 9inch, custom suspension, did I say weight reduction? lol. You could lose 200lbs in a blink; drag wheels, 1 racing seat, no rear seats, no crash bars, exhaust and there you have around 200lbs off. (more like 300).

Its not worth it. Enjoy your car, and try to not break anything. Youre lucky the clutch is still ok.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:49 AM   #37
OneSlowV

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
Simple thing to do is sell the camaro and buy a 5.0 lol. His car must not be at 8-10 lbs of boost he should be trapping around 130 mph with his 5.0.

2020 CAMARO LT1 6spd 11.02@ 135 dragy approved
OneSlowV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #38
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK2DRUL View Post
Just be glad that he didn't do twin turbos as well....

naaaaaasty
Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #39
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
We have to disagree almost twice.

While I am wasting my time it is worth it because I am having fun and making new friends.

Secondly I say easier on my engine because turbo HP is almost free. In order for his car to make the same power as mine his engine has to make 15% more power to spin the SC. Harder on the lower end. And I might also say instantaneous torque is harder on the rest of the car more so than the engine. But is sure is fun!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #40
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDM View Post
Great story...I think you can take him. Never quit, he will make a mistake. On the 3rd yellow...honk the horn.
Great strategy! I for sure will try that. Thanks for the support. Your TT 1LE could take him right now for sure. Mine is a bit milder.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #41
Fraxum

Thought you guys would want to see my Dyno. It has my old bolt-on no tune setup as a base number. I would post one of my runs with Pat where he red-lighted like .011 but I threw it out I think. He was afraid of my Turbos as he cut that light too close. He needn't have worried though. He ran a 11.55 if I recall against my 12.2 with like a .1-.2 something light. I looked at those pretty 2013 Mustang taillights all the way down.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #42
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
There is only 1 Paxton head unit that comes in a kit for the new 5.0 and that's the mighty NOVI 2200SL. Most GM guys don't know how big that blower is or how much power it's capable of so I will put it into perspective. I am sure everyone here is familiar with the ECS kit for late model GM cars right? Well, that kit uses a 1500 head unit and you can see the kind of power it is putting down. The 2200 is 2 steps above the 1500 and just 1 small step below the huge Vortech YSI. It is suppose to be capable of 1000HP. Smallest Paxton my a$$,LoL. You will still always make more power per lb of boost and truckloads more torque with your setup but that's not the issue here. I think one way you could for sure beat him is in roll races. Turn the boost up on your kit to 9-10 psi and I don't even see it being much of a race from a roll.
Pat is one of those guys you just know you can trust.

I almost went with ECS, they are not far from my house. I would have wound up with a 1500. They say my TT setup is good for 950. Pat would still have the edge.

I think honking on the 3rd yellow light might be my only play.