Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Front View Cameras - via Pearl License Plate Frame

Sorry it's been a long time since my last post!

I have been spending a great deal of time on the Corvette. One of the things I really like is the front view cameras on the '16 and above Vettes. They are great for the Performance Data Recorder (PDR) and AVOIDING CURBS.

I am helping a friend install a front view camera on his sedan for the same reasons since front-end damage would be very expensive.

We came cross the Pearl Automation License Plate Frame.

https://pearlauto.com

Since the Camaros have a FLAT front license plate mount, I thought some of you might be interested in my results. They are promising, but mixed at this time.

First off, as designed and currently implemented this is a very expensive REAR FACING camera for standard rear camera needs. I guess they figure there are a substantial number of cars on the road without rear facing cameras - and the owners are willing to drop $500 for a top-end camera system. Be aware the company is founded by ex-Apple people. The product and the packaging definitely remind me of Apple products.

Personally I think they would have a better business with front-end applications since many of us (already have rear view cameras and) would be willing to drop $500 to avoid potentially very expensive front-end damage. A PDR would be pretty cool as well.

Here are some curb/street pics I obtained by using it on the front license plate frame on my Camaro. (iPhone screen captures)

NOTE: Currently the images are REVERSED. I have asked them to add a software switch for FRONT facing applications. For the the purpose of avoiding curbs, the reversed image is not (much of) a problem. They have said they will look into it.

The system works as follows:

1) The frame with the dual cameras (solar powered) is installed on the front license plate bracket.

2) A module is plugged into the cars OBD port. This module is linked with the camera license plate frame. They are matched set. They cannot be split. This is to deter thieves. The module creates a wi-fi and BlueTooth network.

3) A magnetic phone mount. Note: This is the best vehicle phone mount I have ever seen. They sell these separately. I am going to buy several. The mount can either be attached to a vent "vane" or it can be attached with adhesive. You attach a metal piece to the back of your phone (adhesive) or put the metal piece between your phone and your case. It holds really well.

4) An app for your iPhone, iPad (not tested) or Android (not tested) device.

To use this camera frame I have the Waze and Pearl apps on my iPhone. I keep both running.

When I run the Pearl app (manual or via Siri) it will show the image via Wifi or Bluetooth. After 30-90 seconds (or if you drive above a set speed - 10 MPH I think) the Pearl App will go to an app launcher where you can run Waze and other apps. I just switch back to Waze using iPhone/Siri commands.

What I like:

1 - I now have rear view and front view in the Camaro. I also have Waze running all the time as my nav system (landscape on iPhone 6 Plus).

2 - I can call up front view video whenever I want it.

What I don't like:

1 - Images are reversed

2 - Pearl App forces a switch to its App Launcher screen (no image) after a set time (max 90 seconds). I want it to stay on the image until I TELL IT to stop. I also want to be able to specify a single app to switch to after the car starts moving too fast. (There is a liability issue here otherwise.) I would set it to go to Waze.

3 - WiFi is the "better" mode. The issue is if you are pulling out of your home, your phone will most likely be connected to your home WiFi network. This causes issues until you are far enough away from a known WiFi network. BlueTooth could also be problematic as your phone may already be set to connect to your audio system via Bluetooth. I don't think it can do both at once.

4 - My personal preference would be to have the Pearl app come to top level on my iPhone whenever I am below a set speed, and go back into the background when I exceed that speed (or I dismiss it).

I was going to post this for my Corvette people with older cars ('15 and below) as well - but those cars have "bent" front license plates. That would be a no-go for this product as it can not be bent.

Let me know if you have any questions or want more pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by intensifi; 12-05-2016 at 08:59 AM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
This is actually pretty interesting. Having a 2011 1SS with no back up cam, but not wanting to drop the cash to do a screen or other work, this seems like a pretty solid alternative. The potential application for a front facing camera is also interesting...good find.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
$499.99
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
This is actually pretty interesting. Having a 2011 1SS with no back up cam, but not wanting to drop the cash to do a screen or other work, this seems like a pretty solid alternative. The potential application for a front facing camera is also interesting...good find.
You can install a good wired backup camera & monitor for under $250. Also, if you have a MyLink radio, it should have the connections for a backup camera; if it does, you can add a good camera for under $50. I added a backup camera to my Vette that I had previously added an aftermarket Kenwood deck that had the connections for a camera. Cost me $39 and took just over an hour to install, most of that time was spent removing/reinstalling the radio.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
$499.99
Exactly!

It makes more sense in the front for me. My current cars have low splitters. Running one of those over a parking brick and then back over would cause lots of expensive front end damage.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
You can install a good wired backup camera & monitor for under $250. Also, if you have a MyLink radio, it should have the connections for a backup camera; if it does, you can add a good camera for under $50. I added a backup camera to my Vette that I had previously added an aftermarket Kenwood deck that had the connections for a camera. Cost me $39 and took just over an hour to install, most of that time was spent removing/reinstalling the radio.
Agree for a backup camera this is very pricy.

MyLink is only available to '13 and later cars. I'm thinking it is already connected to a rear view camera in that case.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Interesting info, however I will only back into parking spots, utilizing my rear camera.