Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 05-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
Bagheera_thecamaro
BAGHEERA

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
Post AB 1824 & AB 390 - New 2019 California Exhaust Law

Hello, fellow California Drivers!

My name is Marly, If you haven't heard about AB1824 and what's going on in that arena, I wanted to start this thread to discuss. My goal with this thread is to share your story, get educated, and help where you can to change the law. I'm seeing many people still get hit with a State Ref due to their exhaust, and I personally think a law that was written 50 years ago (VC 27150 and VC27151) need to be changed.

RECENT UPDATE: AB 390 has passed the first committee - now waiting to be passed by another committee

WHAT IS AB 1824

Simply put, AB 1824 is a law that was put in place (Jan 1st.) to make VC 27150 and/or VC 27151 a MANDATORY fine (originally it was a correct-it ticket). If you think to yourself, well I'm stock, I'll be ok - unfortunately no. There have been plenty of cases provided to me that stock vehicles are being hit with this as well. Whether or not they end up paying the fine / visiting a state ref has been a case by case basis.

More info from SEMA on AB 1824

WHY DOES AB 1824 EXIST?

This law was created for 2 factors, for Law Enforcement (LAPD & CHP in particular) they are using this law to combat Street Takeover attendees, which in theory is awesome, however, it's been affecting us car enthusiasts as well. The second reason is more income for the State. My proof? This bill was created by the Assembly of Budget - the committee that looks for ways for the state to get more money. Yeah. I'm serious. Which is why you've might have seen an increase in State Refs and/or exhaust tickets.

WHAT IS AB 390?

AB 390 is the result of car enthusiasts getting together and actually making changes. AB 390 (backed by SEMA) is a bill to revert the changes made by AB 1824 and make 27150 and 27151 back into a correctable ticket. It has passed the first committee, and we are now waiting for it to pass yet another committee.

WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

If you do receive a VC 27150 or VC 27151, your best bet will be visiting a State Ref - more then likely, you're going to get state reffed anyways, but if you don't this is still your best bet. There, you will receive a certificate of compliance and can present that to the court. HOWEVER, you STILL will pay at least over $100 to go to a State Ref.

The next option is to PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt, that YOU were in compliance with the law at the time of the ticket. Meaning, record EVERYTHING. Get under your car, show the exhaust, alert the officer that you are 100% legal, ect. Do whatever you can to show that you are within compliance, and present that to the court. It's difficult to do, but not impossible. Don't wait a day to do this, do this as quickly as you can after receiving a ticket, otherwise the court can just say you changed your exhaust, and then you'd need to prove that you didn't as well.

MY PERSONAL OPINION - VC 27151 and VC 27150 NEED TO BE CHANGED

I explain why in this video.

WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP CHANGE THE LAW

You can start by signing the petition. While AB 1824 is still in the process of being reverted, we need as many backers as we can get to continue making strides of change. You can also write a POLITE email/letter to your local representative (info on what to say and to who is in the petition)

PETITION LINK RIGHT HERE - OVER 275,000 SIGNATURES COLLECTED

Best of luck to my fellow enthusiasts. I'm not sure how it's going up in NorCal, but here is SoCal, there is a few areas we've seen being hit the hardest. I spoke with several officers (many are my friends, I trust their information) and some areas to avoid (especially at night) is Orange County, Irvine in particular, and Orange County.

God bless, stay safe.

Bagheera_thecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote