Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Good job Joe. About the spring spacers removed during PDI and tossed by the dealer. That happened to me and they said they were thrown out. You think they are under obligation to supply me a set? I would think so if it's part of the PDI bulletin.
Yes. Those spacers are yours. They threw away YOUR spacers. It's like if they threw away your floor mat
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Good job Joe. About the spring spacers removed during PDI and tossed by the dealer. That happened to me and they said they were thrown out. You think they are under obligation to supply me a set? I would think so if it's part of the PDI bulletin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Yes. Those spacers are yours. They threw away YOUR spacers. It's like if they threw away your floor mat
I tend to agree....I can't imagine the things costing that much - ask them to provide you with a set because you'll need them if you're ever towed, etc, etc...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I tend to agree....I can't imagine the things costing that much - ask them to provide you with a set because you'll need them if you're ever towed, etc, etc...
Jeff Morris from Customer Service commented on dealers throwing them away. He said they would have to give you new ones.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Jeff Morris from Customer Service commented on dealers throwing them away. He said they would have to give you new ones.
There you go!

Thanks - I missed that.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Sorry, I kind of lost touch with this thread. I just noticed it got stickied.

Yes, as others have stated, including Jeff Morris, you should be given a set of spacers from your dealer.

If they give you a problem, ask them to reference Service Information document # 2756086 or #PI0662 which is the bulletin I posted.

The part number for the spacers is 22761331.

I hope most dealers are up to speed on this, and hope you are all enjoying your ZL1's.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
elhefezl1

Drives: 12 ZL1,07 Trailblazer SS,65 Impala
Whats the best way to keep the hood insert looking new since you cant wax , any ideas?
elhefezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #21
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhefezl1 View Post
Whats the best way to keep the hood insert looking new since you cant wax , any ideas?
Short answer, soap & water

From all that I have read... long answer

Note: The black painted carbon fiber “mohawk” requires unique care when cleaning. The optional exposed carbon fiber weave version can be waxed like the rest of the surface of the car.

And from the owners manual...

It is not recommended that the (black painted) air extractor on the ZL1 be waxed, as it will change the gloss level of the surface. In addition, care must be used when waxing around the air extractor. If a small amount of wax is applied to the extractor it can create an irregular appearance in the surface of the panel. If wax, debris, or other materials create stains on the air extractor, see your dealer for the recommended cleaner.

The air extractor has vent screens in the openings. Keep leaves or other debris out of the vent screens.
Notice: Pushing on the vent screens could damage them. Do not push on the screens when clearing.
There is a water deflector on the underside of the air extractor. Do not remove it.

And though this next bit of info from a technical bulletin relates to matte stripes, I think the care instructions for the painted hood extractor would be similar...

Condition/Concern:

The low-gloss stripe kit may have a cloudy or hazy appearance. The application of a polish or wax onto the surface of a low-gloss stripe may result in this condition that seems to disappear when the stripes are wet and then reappear as the stripes dry. This condition is much more likely to be noticed on darker colored stripes and does not occur on the high-gloss stripes.

Note: The PDI sheet does have a Special Inspection Note in regard to vehicles with stripe packages. It reads - Do not use polish or wax on the stripes, this will distort the appearance.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If polish or wax was applied to the low-gloss stripes, the polish/wax product will have to be removed in order to restore the original appearance of the stripes.
Important: This process will also remove the wax from any other surface it contacts. The car will have to be waxed again, this time without applying wax to the stripe surfaces. Do not use polish or wax on the low-gloss stripes, as this will distort the appearance.
Important: Use of other wax remover products may damage the stripes; this damage would not be covered under GM warranty.

To avoid damaging the stripe material, the wax removal should be done by using Dawn® dishwashing liquid soap. Place a couple drops of Dawn® dishwashing liquid soap in a bucket of water, then using a sponge and the soap solution, wash the stripes to thoroughly eliminate the wax from the small "crevices" of the matte surface.

So, it seems you can wax the exposed, clearcoated extractor, but just use mild soap & water for cleaning the black painted version.

Last edited by R6P; 04-27-2012 at 06:04 AM.
R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #22
elhefezl1

Drives: 12 ZL1,07 Trailblazer SS,65 Impala
Great info, thanks for the help. I kinda figured the common sense answer was soap and water. Thanks again.
elhefezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
eco
eco179

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I took delivery before I read this post and quickly went out to see if the spacers were in the springs. They were. I took it back and the dealer removed them. When I got home, it no longer had the clearance I needed to get into my driveway. It's in the garage and haven't had it out since (almost 2-weeks ago.) I'm ripping out the driveway and replacing it this week to change the grade. I can't get it out until I fix the approach and it's killing me! I put 100-miles on it and it's been sitting since. But if I hadn't seen this post with the bulletin, I would not have known about the spacers or the break-in instructions! Thanks for the crucial info! Luckily I had planned on a similar break-in to the bulletin and had been taking it easy.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
bcwolf

Drives: 2012 CAMARO ZL1 COUPE
I hope this is posted in the right thread? I have seen the "Break In Period" is under 80mph for the 1st 1500 miles. Is there an RPM attached to that? I'm sure we can all get to 80 in a few seconds!!
bcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #25
wyoming zl1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1372
[QUOTE=bcwolf;5072821]I hope this is posted in the right thread? I have seen the "Break In Period" is under 80mph for the 1st 1500 miles. Is there an RPM attached to that? I'm sure we can all get to 80 in a few seconds!![/QUOTE
Nothing over 4,000 for first 1500 miles
wyoming zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #26
CamaroYork

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1 LE
What's the rear axle ratio with the automatic transmission ZL1 ?
CamaroYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #27
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
3:23 FINAL RATIO, but the 1st gear in the auto is LOWER than in the stick!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
DRTH VDR

Drives: 2012 triple black ZL-1 #799
My dealer quickly admitted they had tossed the spacers, but ordered them today for direct shipping via UPS to me by next Monday. Nice recovery.

Cheers - Boyd
Major USAF
Retired
GM Tech Mechanical engineering student 1958-1960

Last edited by DRTH VDR; 06-23-2012 at 01:57 PM.
DRTH VDR is offline   Reply With Quote