Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Bobtorious

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2014 Sierra Denali
Send a message via ICQ to Bobtorious
Question Unable to remove scratches

Hi,

I'm not a detailing expert by any means, but I've done multiple vehicles over the years. I'm having a problem removing random pattern scratches from my car.

I did the usual prep. when I brought it home a couple of years ago:
  1. 2 Bucket Wash
  2. Claybar
  3. Polished with Adam's SHR then FMP using the PC 7424

I still have what I would call random scratches all over, but most significantly on the hood and the rear quarter panels. They are hard to see unless the sun is shining off them directly and you look at the paint from the right angle. I think they might be from a rotary polishing gone bad (thanks dealership). They are so light that I have been unable to capture them in a photo; I've tried polishing them out several times with no success.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, were you able to remedy it? I've only used the Porter Cable to tackle these, but I think it may be time to move up to a rotary polisher. I'm leary to move to a rotary though if it's not going to help me in this case.

Other information, I cannot catch these scratches. This makes me think these are below the clear, but I'm not sure that's even possible?
Bobtorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Is SHR the most aggressive polish you've used?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Bobtorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Is SHR the most aggressive polish you've used?
I've also tried Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Not sure if that's more aggressive than SHR.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Hmm that's strange. Are you sure its not spider cracking in the clear?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Are you addressing SWIRLS or SCRATCHES?

Swirls are something that can be realistically addressed with the PC and various polishes, but if you have deeper scratches here and there it will take something more aggressive to remove them.

Thats where something like our 4" pad system on a drill comes in.

A d a m s P o l i s h e s . c o m
use the code CAMARO5 CAMARO6 or CORVETTE for 10% off your next order
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Bobtorious

Quote:
Hmm that's strange. Are you sure its not spider cracking in the clear?
I don't think so. The damage is so light, I can barely see it and its pattern all over is fairly random and not as "uniform" as clearcoat cracking tends to be. It really looks like someone used a very dirty rag or had too much fun with the rotary. What baffles me is that I cannot get anything to catch in them, which makes me think they're below the clear.

It drives me insane that I can spend a long time on one spot and I cannot get them to come out.

I may lightly wet-sand an inconspicuous area and see if I have better results. Although, since this is over a majority of the car, I'm not sure.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Bobtorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Are you addressing SWIRLS or SCRATCHES?

Swirls are something that can be realistically addressed with the PC and various polishes, but if you have deeper scratches here and there it will take something more aggressive to remove them.

Thats where something like our 4" pad system on a drill comes in.
Definitely not swirls, those were all addressed with the Porter Cable But these are just not here and there, they are all over, and in significant amounts. I'm not talking just one or two scratches, but where there's damage, they look like what I'd describe as "circular random spider scratches". I may try getting a photo again...
Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
How many passes with e SHR? If you only did one pass, you may have to go again. If you go past five times, you need SSRH, but if you only went one time, I'd hit a couple more times with SHR then follow up with FMP.

Also pics will help us to diagnose.

Good luck
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

You definitely could step it up in polish intensity. If you want to stay in the Adam's family, you can hit it with SSHR, or you can always use the old M105.

If you have the spot pads, try them like Dylan said. First with the PC, if no dice, then with a drill.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
I had this problem when i started using my pc. It was because i was not cleaning pads after each use on my black car. I would polish some each day of the week and was letting the product dry on pad then just going right back at it the next day. Mine were random and like tiny c shaped. I cleaned all pads and redid those areas and boom it was gone. Maybe an idea?.
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
dme
Davis

Drives: 2012 LS Custom
It took me probably 10 or more passes with SHR and the PC to get rid of all of this on my hood. My entire car is this way (not quite as bad as beside the stripes) and there is no way I can put the time and effort into getting them all out with the PC. I'll have to look into something more.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Bobtorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
How many passes with e SHR? If you only did one pass, you may have to go again. If you go past five times, you need SSRH, but if you only went one time, I'd hit a couple more times with SHR then follow up with FMP.

Also pics will help us to diagnose.

Good luck
I've done 3-4 passes, multiple times (2 or 3 times over the last couple of years) to no avail. I've still been unable to successfully capture these on camera.

Quote:
You definitely could step it up in polish intensity. If you want to stay in the Adam's family, you can hit it with SSHR, or you can always use the old M105.

If you have the spot pads, try them like Dylan said. First with the PC, if no dice, then with a drill.
Maybe it's time for me to step up the cut on my polish. I don't want to buy anything though if it's not going to work. Although, I guess there's really only one way to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
I had this problem when i started using my pc. It was because i was not cleaning pads after each use on my black car. I would polish some each day of the week and was letting the product dry on pad then just going right back at it the next day. Mine were random and like tiny c shaped. I cleaned all pads and redid those areas and boom it was gone. Maybe an idea?.
I clean my pads after every use, with Adam's APC to bust up anything that my have solidified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme View Post
It took me probably 10 or more passes with SHR and the PC to get rid of all of this on my hood. My entire car is this way (not quite as bad as beside the stripes) and there is no way I can put the time and effort into getting them all out with the PC. I'll have to look into something more.

No kidding, if that's the case it might be rotary time.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Same issue, I think...can't catch it on film. Saw it right after I polished an area with a focused 4" pad on a PC. Now, can't get it out.

What is "spider cracking?"