Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 01-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Race Ramp Cribs

Looking for a better / safer setup to use over jack stands. Thinking of going with something like this:

http://www.raceramps.com/images/prod...cribcamaro.jpg

Has anyone used these without the ramps to lift a camaro? Any issues?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
I use ramps and then jack the back end of my GTR up to place on 10" cribs. Works awesome.

Haven't needed to use them on the Camaro since I can easily use my jack/stands for a quick oil change.

As no maintenance is quick with the GTR with the under paneling.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
justjoshin

Just wondering if I will have any problems jacking the car up enough to get the one piece 10" cribs under the wheels with my floor jack, or if I should get the 2 piece cribs??? My jack has a max lift of 19-1/2" so I THINK it would lift it enough....
Old 01-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
My original plan was to do the same thing Jeff suggested - the ramps up front and jack up the rear for the 10 inch cradles. I only did this once or twice. It was a hassle, and didn't do what I wanted - I'd rather work on jack stands for anything that requires lifting the rear.

When jacking up the rear end, the rear wheels sag so much that I needed more height that my floor jack provided, and even when I got the 10" cribs under the wheels, the car was lower than if I used jack stands. I decided this wasn't an advantage unless I was doing something that required load on the rear wheels (rare). Plus, the rear wheels in the air are in a different position (angled inward, following the suspension arms) than when they are on the ground, so the cribs actually have to move/slide while lowering the car onto them. Also, when first lowering the rear onto the ground the rear shocks are not fully settled, so they sit higher than usual, which changes the angle at the front of the car when backing down off of the ramps (scraped my splitter even though I have the ramp extensions for lowered cars and no scraping when pulling up onto the ramps). The Race Ramps are a great quality product, but ultimately not what I wanted. (I should add that I'm lowered about 1 inch or so)

I'm in the process of installing a mid-rise lift so I don't have to work with jack stands or ramps anymore, but if I were to continue using jack stands, I would go with the ESCO 3-ton jack stands. They are a little more pricey, but worth it IMO because they provided additional stability.
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
justjoshin

Thanks for the detailed info, AG1LE. I just never feel safe under a car using jack stands, and thought these looked pretty good. Looking to use for oil changes or anything that doesn't require removing the wheels. Wasn't planning on ramps, but cribs for front and back like in the link I had posted.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Same as AG1LE, used the 2 piece cribs a couple times only.

I use 6 ton jack stands for my truck and cars and still feel more comfortable with race ramps and cribs. Did my headers and full exhaust replacement with 67" 2-piece ramps and 2-piece 10" cribs to get more work space clearance. In the end, I could have used stands in the rear, but live and learn. Had to use my 6 ton stands to get car high enough to pull my trans when rear main leaked. I have a jack that has a +21" lift so this helps a lot.

Depends what you're doing. Since my car is lowered and I just added a splitter, I bought a second set of roll ups when I swap wheels for racing. Needed the clearance for my jack and didn't want to use 2x6 anymore. Also, needed the ramp extension for my 67" ramp to clear the front splitter. It will get pricey, but comes in handy. If I had the garage clearance for a lift with a center brace, I'd install one. Would make bleeding brakes and changes wheels so much easier.

The most common combo I use is the 67" ramps with 6 ton stands. Drive up and jack stand the other end. Great for general maintenance and oil changes. As I get older, I have a greater appreciation for things that make my life easier.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
justjoshin

Ended up ordering a set of WC-10's & a set of WC-10-2's from summit for $237.50 and will get a $20 mail in rebate. I have 2 sets of jack stands but I wanted something a little more secure when I am under there not needing to remove the wheels. I like to do my oil changes because i don't trust most places. I had access to a pit at my grandfathers shop but it has been sold. I was taking my car to Lethal but they closed down. So, I figure these would be nice to have as I have 2 Camaros at the house. I was mainly worried about being able to lift the car high enough to ge the 10" cribs under the wheels with the sag in suspension, but I think the set of WC-10-2's will cure that if so. Thanks for all the info guys!