Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
installing Hot Dog heater worry about long term heat damage

Just bought a Modine HD45 Hot Dog heater (Propane). I have a 24x36 garage. 10ft ceiling. The only places I have to mount it is above were the car sits all winter. Im worried about the heater blowing hot air on the car. Could it affect the paint or plastic long term? I can only put the propane tank on that side of the garage and dont want to run line all the way to the opposite side of the garage.

real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Can't help with the propane. But you need to get the mini trees out of those garage gutters. LOL
Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
Did you consider going with a 240VAC unit instead of propane? You wouldn't have to worry about tank placement, plumbing and having the unit sit over the baby. That way you can place the heater on the other side of the garage and out of the way. And as an added bonus, you won't have to worry about the heavy propane service truck tearing up your nice driveway.

Then again, if you lose power....
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
loose power no ignition for the propane eather. But wouldn't electric cost a lot more. I have the truck and the car in the garage. The car is on the side with the man door during the winter.
Thats my tree farm. should have seen all the maple saplings in the gutters of the house. that pic was of the garage befor i bought it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
That's a good question. The queen's chateau is fully insulated with the thermostat set to 60 and my electric bill is only $25 over last year (elec is 5 mils cheaper than last year or .085 per kWh). Then again, we have mild winters here but it's definitely worth a closer look to price in how many kilowatts or cubic feet of gas will run you in order to operate either style heater.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #6
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
no worries

My 2010 and 2013 sat under my hot dawg from 2009 to 2014 with no ill effects. Usually covered for the winter, though. Mine was natural gas. It will be hooked up for propane before next winter at my new digs and I'm not concerned. The exhaust goes outside and the air coming out is not that hot.
Attached Images

chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
ForcFed93

Drives: 2001 2500HD
I have a natural gas wall heater that's a couple feet behind my car. I just put a thick mat over where the heat blows and the car stays cool to the touch.

I'm sure my car loves the garage staying a nice 55-60 degrees all winter.