Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 12-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #29
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-s...nual-2011.html

This is the most valuable tool in any tool box. Especially if you're new to turning wrenches. The writing can be technical in these things, but that is a good thing when you need a part. You will be amazed at how quickly and how friendly the parts counter person is when you what it's actually called and even have a part #.

The manual also will let you know if there is a special tool requirement for a particular job.

The absolute best thing about the true factory service manual are the diagnostic trees for specific symptoms. This alone will save more money and time than anything else because you won't be replacing good parts trying to figure out what the bad one is.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #30
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Lots of good info here. With the torque wrench, don't buy snap-on. I say this because, precision instruments makes all snap-on and mac torque wrenches. There the best in the business which is why snap-on and mac use them. you'll save yourself 100-150 bucks off the snap-on just for a name. Found out about this when I bought my Sioux drill. All snap-on drills are made by Sioux and saved myself $130. All warranty is still done threw my snap-on rep.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #31
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I got my first credit card at Sears to buy tools around 1975 and I still have them today. If you ever get the space, I took peg board and hung the tools on the wall. When working on projects, it was easy to find the different tools that you need. Good luck!
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #32
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfinkharley View Post
Be sure to get quality jack stands and a floor jack. Don't take chances when it comes to safety.
And Eye Protection. They don't grow back if you F them up!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #33
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
And Eye Protection. They don't grow back if you F them up!
ABSOLUTELY. In my younger days, I've had tiny metal particles and gasoline in my eyes a couple times. Once when I got sprayed with gasoline, I was temporarily blind and my eyes felt like they were on fire. No fun, don't learn the hard way.
Buy some clear safety glasses, cheap insurance.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #34
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE

My setup

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #35
DevilDawgSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Few things you need. First, like many said, good mechanics tool set. Sockets in both metric and standard.

Second, good set of wrenches. I have gotten the ratchet wrenches and they are awesome. Highly recommend them.

Third, oil filter wrench and drain pan.

Fourth, good set of low profile ramps and jack stands.

Fifth, good low profile jack.

Sixth, set of wheel blocks. When you have one end jacked up, always block your wheels. Better safe than sorry.

Seventh, good torque wrenches.

Eighth, shop towels (recommend the blue ones), hand cleaner, and latex gloves.

With this, you will be off to a good start and can do a lot.

THE Last Post Winner
DevilDawgSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #36
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Man you can never have enough tools. Buy a mechanics set, various sizes in sockets/impacts all the way up to about 1.5", torx set, lock key set, and sooooooo many little things here and there. It may take years to accumulate everything you will ever need.

Hell im still buying random things often, and i have a ton of stuff. Specialty tool sets you will find are the most beneficial. Just buy as much as you can... well whatever fits your budget it gets $$$

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #37
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
IF you haven't bought anything Lowes has a 250 piece tool set on sale for $79.99 (usually $199.99). This would be a good starter set. http://www.lowes.com/pd_221073-22328...d=4640241&pl=1

I just broke down and bough air tools, wow, what a world of difference and made the last job I did so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDawgSS View Post
Few things you need. First, like many said, good mechanics tool set. Sockets in both metric and standard.

Second, good set of wrenches. I have gotten the ratchet wrenches and they are awesome. Highly recommend them.

Sixth, set of wheel blocks. When you have one end jacked up, always block your wheels. Better safe than sorry.

THE Last Post Winner
This here is a good starter setup. If you need recommendations on anything specific just ask
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #38
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I've got Tons of Tools - Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Craftsman, Klein, H-F.
4 Big Boxes

My Advise - Tool Boxes are the Biggest depreciating item you may ever buy. Good Snap-On or Matco Boxes can be found easily on CraigsList.

Tools - depends on if it one use or multiple. Single Use, buy Harbor Freight unless that part can kill or maim you. Quality Tools are an Investment - don't let people borrow them (they never bring them back), keep them clean and buy multiple of the ones you use a lot
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #39
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDawgSS View Post

THE Last Post Winner
Good advice here.

Car stuff:
A solid mechanics set should be sufficient. Otherwise (in addition to above) for the Camaro you will need a T30 Torx bit (door panel removal), spark plug socket and thin wall deep sockets with those protective sleeves (protect the wheels during removal). Buy a few deep sockets 10MM.

House stuff:
Need a lithium rechargeable drill. Just lasts soo much longer and quicker to charge. Get drill bits for metal, tile, brick and sheet rock and screw driver bits (double down).