Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #183
Better Performance

Drives: 2010 SS TT 4L80, 72 SS454 Chevelle
Ted, I installed a TVS 2300 on a 2010 L99 customers car who did his own research and purchased the kit from you several years ago. Everything was excellent and you were great to deal with.

Very long story short, after MANY upgrades to the supercharged setup and after achieving 700 RWHP, it bent a connecting rod and he decided to build a 427 with hellion top mount twin turbo and 4L80.

Another long story later, I own the TT car and have installed the TVS 2300 on another customers 10 L99...
You may remember commenting on an under hood heat issue it had been having on another thread..
I contacted John at hellion and he recommended bumping the timing up at cruise speeds and that made a world of difference. However, neither of the cars have what I would call a decent tune in them. Drivability issues, trans tune for the 6l80 may have caused it to fail, etc. On top of that, I have another 10 LS3 with a cam and a 2.9 kenne bell coming in this month with a possible hurt engine from a junk tune.

Are these cars that you believe could be remote tuned, or will someone have to get their hands on them? I know all of the specs on 2 of the cars because I built both of them, and I can get all of the details for the kenne bell car. Both of my builds are forged rotating assemblies, 427 and 416 in. with squash E85 regulated and returned dual fuel, 427 has ID1300's and 416 has ID850's, both with fuel composition sensors.

I guess I had better be clear to anyone else reading this that the only tuning we received from you on any of the cars was just the SCT remote tune that got put in the first TVS 2300 car when it was all stock other than the charger...

Thank you for taking the time to answer everyones questions, it is great to have someone who knows what they are doing that is willing to share knowledge with everyone!
Better Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #184
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYwss6 View Post
Long tube headers, stock mufflers. CAI intake, Air scoop and the magnuson tvs2300. Ls3. What is the price on a stage 2 Maggie max kit? It won't fit under stock hood?
You will need to upgrade both your fuel system and injectors to move below a 3.6 pulley.

ZL-1 pump
Our Fuel pump control module
ID-850 injectors.

You are not ready for a maggie max until you do a cam and either race gas or Flex fuel conversion.

Everything fits under the stock hood.

Feel free to call me for a consultation on your build.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #185
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Performance View Post
Ted, I installed a TVS 2300 on a 2010 L99 customers car who did his own research and purchased the kit from you several years ago. Everything was excellent and you were great to deal with.

Very long story short, after MANY upgrades to the supercharged setup and after achieving 700 RWHP, it bent a connecting rod and he decided to build a 427 with hellion top mount twin turbo and 4L80.

Another long story later, I own the TT car and have installed the TVS 2300 on another customers 10 L99...
You may remember commenting on an under hood heat issue it had been having on another thread..
I contacted John at hellion and he recommended bumping the timing up at cruise speeds and that made a world of difference. However, neither of the cars have what I would call a decent tune in them. Drivability issues, trans tune for the 6l80 may have caused it to fail, etc. On top of that, I have another 10 LS3 with a cam and a 2.9 kenne bell coming in this month with a possible hurt engine from a junk tune.

Are these cars that you believe could be remote tuned, or will someone have to get their hands on them? I know all of the specs on 2 of the cars because I built both of them, and I can get all of the details for the kenne bell car. Both of my builds are forged rotating assemblies, 427 and 416 in. with squash E85 regulated and returned dual fuel, 427 has ID1300's and 416 has ID850's, both with fuel composition sensors.

I guess I had better be clear to anyone else reading this that the only tuning we received from you on any of the cars was just the SCT remote tune that got put in the first TVS 2300 car when it was all stock other than the charger...

Thank you for taking the time to answer everyones questions, it is great to have someone who knows what they are doing that is willing to share knowledge with everyone!
I am completely confident I can sucessfully remote tune both cars.

I would recommend you bump the 416 to ID-1300s also.

Both cars will need 3 bar map sensors if not already installed.

You are Welcome! I am proud to be a part of this community.

Ted.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #186
DarrylsDaily

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Hi Ted,

First off thanks so much for your contribution to the community. I like to do my research before I go throwing parts at my car, and I have to say you probably chimed in with helpful and accurate advice on the majority of threads I've read on here.

The question I have for you is about reliability/longevity when boosting the LS3. My car is an '11 SS (manual) with 60k on it. I built the car with the help of an amazing local race shop - full bolt on, custom cam (built for procharger), long tubes, suspension brakes tires etc. The car makes about 460hp/440tq wheel on a loaded superflow and is great. As I mentioned, the cam was spec'd for a procharger but the more I read, the more cause for concern I'm finding. From what I gathered so far, concerns with boosting this motor are:

pre/post ignition detonation
weak hollow valve stems
running lean from maxing out fuel system
piston rings failing under boost
rods/crank failing over 650rwhp

The first item can be handled with the right tune and fuel, no problem there.
The second I wouldn't mind going back in to upgrade, no big deal.
The third is nbd, I can do the research and make sure the pump, injectors etc are spec'd properly
The last two scare the crap outta me.

I've got a bug to build a hellcat killer and I think with my mods and a ~55% increase from a procharger, I'd be right around 700rwhp. But I don't want to make a decision that has a reasonable likelihood of hurting the bottom end. This is my daily driver, after all . I know that keeping intake temps low is key to longevity, and so I think my choice of an intercooled centrifugal is a good one.

My question is: what do you think about pushing past the 650 mark in these cars? Are there issues i've overlooked to be wary of? I also am curious about the 3 to 5 year lifespan I keep hearing about boosted LS3s. I know that supercharging is definitely not a death sentence for the motor, and that there are plenty of examples of engines lasting much longer or shorter. Why do you think 3 to 5 years tends to be a common lifespan for these setups? Does the beating just kinda add up over time on the rotating assy? Thanks again for your time, and all the awesome work you put in on this forum!
DarrylsDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #187
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylsDaily View Post
Hi Ted,

First off thanks so much for your contribution to the community. I like to do my research before I go throwing parts at my car, and I have to say you probably chimed in with helpful and accurate advice on the majority of threads I've read on here.

The question I have for you is about reliability/longevity when boosting the LS3. My car is an '11 SS (manual) with 60k on it. I built the car with the help of an amazing local race shop - full bolt on, custom cam (built for procharger), long tubes, suspension brakes tires etc. The car makes about 460hp/440tq wheel on a loaded superflow and is great. As I mentioned, the cam was spec'd for a procharger but the more I read, the more cause for concern I'm finding. From what I gathered so far, concerns with boosting this motor are:

pre/post ignition detonation
weak hollow valve stems
running lean from maxing out fuel system
piston rings failing under boost
rods/crank failing over 650rwhp

The first item can be handled with the right tune and fuel, no problem there.
The second I wouldn't mind going back in to upgrade, no big deal.
The third is nbd, I can do the research and make sure the pump, injectors etc are spec'd properly
The last two scare the crap outta me.

I've got a bug to build a hellcat killer and I think with my mods and a ~55% increase from a procharger, I'd be right around 700rwhp. But I don't want to make a decision that has a reasonable likelihood of hurting the bottom end. This is my daily driver, after all . I know that keeping intake temps low is key to longevity, and so I think my choice of an intercooled centrifugal is a good one.

My question is: what do you think about pushing past the 650 mark in these cars? Are there issues i've overlooked to be wary of? I also am curious about the 3 to 5 year lifespan I keep hearing about boosted LS3s. I know that supercharging is definitely not a death sentence for the motor, and that there are plenty of examples of engines lasting much longer or shorter. Why do you think 3 to 5 years tends to be a common lifespan for these setups? Does the beating just kinda add up over time on the rotating assy? Thanks again for your time, and all the awesome work you put in on this forum!
The LS3 has a long history of being rock solid up to about 650 RWHP, on 93 octane.

We and others have taken them well past that 800+ many times knowing the risk, on RACE GAS with very solid results.

The Octane wall on 93 seems to be between 650 and 690 RWHP on 93 depending on many factors cam blower intercooler fuel system etc.

Life span has all to do with duty cycle, if you race it every weekend and win every weekend ( that means lots of rounds ) it is likely you will get 1 to 2 seasons before things start to show signs of getting tired.

If you drive the car on the highway back and forth to work it can last as long as any other car on the road.

Hope this helps.

Ted.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #188
hou30guy

Drives: 2011 convertible 2ss/rs
Recommend a good shelf cam with some chop and mid to top end power for my 408 iron block lsa conversion
hou30guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #189
hou30guy

Also if i do a lsa conversion on a 408 ly6 is that a bottle neck for that ci. And if its not by rasing the compression about what compression i need to be at to not make the blower work too hard as if i had a low compression to try filling the cylinders. If you the combo will work with max safe pulleys on crank and blower what would the 2 sizes be. Im pretty sure the LSA would be the 2.5 or 2.3 pully but dont know about the crack size one
Old 02-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #190
jamesr

Drives: 2012 Camaro ss
Better Performance Ted did my KB 2.9 tune on built have not had a problems at all very happy with service and sales
Old 02-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #191
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by hou30guy View Post
Recommend a good shelf cam with some chop and mid to top end power for my 408 iron block lsa conversion
Quote:
Also if i do a lsa conversion on a 408 ly6 is that a bottle neck for that ci. And if its not by rasing the compression about what compression i need to be at to not make the blower work too hard as if i had a low compression to try filling the cylinders. If you the combo will work with max safe pulleys on crank and blower what would the 2 sizes be. Im pretty sure the LSA would be the 2.5 or 2.3 pully but dont know about the crack size one
We typically don't use shelf cams unless we can find something we like in a pinch.

I can certainly grind you something that will be Ideal for your engine combo and useage.

I would not use an LSA blower on a 408 engine.

I would shoot for no less than 10:1 compression.

Ted.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #192
hou30guy

What would u use
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #193
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
What would u use
Whipple 2.9
Old 02-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #194
hou30guy

Thxs, i think the wipple is out of my budget right now ill just modify my current huron single turbo kit to fit a s475 bw instead of the max fitted i have now 7875
Old 02-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #195
DragRacerX

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM & 2012 2SS M6 IBM
Ted,
My 2012 2SS/RS (Daily Driver)has the following modifications:
Magnuson TVS2300 SuperCharger with 3.40 Pulley, Vengeance Racing VRPD-2 Cam Kit,
ZL1 Fuel Pump, Injector Dynamics ID850 Injectors, Forced Induction Interchiller,
Cold Air Inductions Inc CAI, BBK 40210 LT Headers With Free Flow Cats,
MBRP S7022409 T409-Stainless Steel 3" Dual Cat Back Exhaust System,
Lingenfelter ZR1 Dual Disc Clutch Kit, ZL1 Brake Kit Rotors & Calipers,
BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Rear Bushing Kit, BMR Cradle Bushings, &
BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars.
The custom tune was done by Vengeance Racing and their dyno registered 628 RWHP / 596 RWTQ. I drag race mainly at Camaro / LS Events. I have started doing some road course ( NCM Motorsports, Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, ... ). But my favorite is the WannaGoFast 1/2 mile events in Clayton, GA. In all of these events I am using street tires & don't seem to be having traction troubles. Last September my speed through the 1/2 mile traps was in the low 140mph in 5th gear ( almost 6th ). This was only a few mph more than when I ran there in May ( 527 RWHP / 544 RWTQ ). I was rather disappointed. I expected more from the 101 RWHP / 52 RWTQ increase. Recently I've been thinking about either a more efficient supercharger or a twin turbo top mount. What would your suggestions be? Thanking You In Advance - DragRacerX
Vengeance Racing VRPD-2 Cam Kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Injector Dynamics ID850 Injectors, Forced Induction Interchiller,
Cold Air Inductions CAI, BBK 40210 LT Headers & Free Flow Cats, MBRP S7022409 T409-Stainless Steel
3" Dual Cat Back Exhaust System, Lingenfelter ZR1 Dual Disc Clutch Kit, ZL1 Brake Kit Rotors & Calipers
628 RWHP/596 RWTQ / A.C.E.5
DragRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #196
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacerX View Post
Ted,
My 2012 2SS/RS (Daily Driver)has the following modifications:
Magnuson TVS2300 SuperCharger with 3.40 Pulley, Vengeance Racing VRPD-2 Cam Kit,
ZL1 Fuel Pump, Injector Dynamics ID850 Injectors, Forced Induction Interchiller,
Cold Air Inductions Inc CAI, BBK 40210 LT Headers With Free Flow Cats,
MBRP S7022409 T409-Stainless Steel 3" Dual Cat Back Exhaust System,
Lingenfelter ZR1 Dual Disc Clutch Kit, ZL1 Brake Kit Rotors & Calipers,
BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Rear Bushing Kit, BMR Cradle Bushings, &
BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars.
The custom tune was done by Vengeance Racing and their dyno registered 628 RWHP / 596 RWTQ. I drag race mainly at Camaro / LS Events. I have started doing some road course ( NCM Motorsports, Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, ... ). But my favorite is the WannaGoFast 1/2 mile events in Clayton, GA. In all of these events I am using street tires & don't seem to be having traction troubles. Last September my speed through the 1/2 mile traps was in the low 140mph in 5th gear ( almost 6th ). This was only a few mph more than when I ran there in May ( 527 RWHP / 544 RWTQ ). I was rather disappointed. I expected more from the 101 RWHP / 52 RWTQ increase. Recently I've been thinking about either a more efficient supercharger or a twin turbo top mount. What would your suggestions be? Thanking You In Advance - DragRacerX
Something as simple as your intercooler pump not running causing High IAT can make you lose all the power you gained from the last modification and tune.

It is obvious by your MPH your not carrying that power to the finish line.

I would start there then look at possible belt slip.

What tensioner are you running?

Changing forced induction system is not the answer.

Ted.