Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
lil-bit

Drives: 2000 SS
Should power wire from battery have resistance to ground

Can anyone with an ohm meter check to see if they have resistance to ground on the positive side of the batter or the positive post under the hood. I've been having fuses blow and starters fry. When I check to see resistance between the power side of the car to a ground I get some resistance just wanted to see if anyone could do the same test and see if they get the same result.

lil-bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Not really sure about ‘resistance.’ From the positive post to ground is 12V with ZERO resistance - as in anything from the postive side to ground is a dead short and would blow fuses or kill the battery. Every electrical device the car uses would have some resistance associated with it.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #3
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
You may want to trace your main power cable And see that you don't have a problem with your positive cable and insulation burned through as it runs close to the engine or Car Body in areas. Just a thought.
When you find the solution, please let us know what the culprit was.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Not really sure about ‘resistance.’ From the positive post to ground is 12V with ZERO resistance - as in anything from the postive side to ground is a dead short and would blow fuses or kill the battery. Every electrical device the car uses would have some resistance associated with it.
I think you mean infinite resistance.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
If you haven't completely isolated the wiring harness (disconnected everything), yes you will see resistance as it is passing through components that go to ground.

If you keep blowing the same fuse, you need to isolate that circuit and trace down either a short or high amperage draw.

What you really want to check is that you have minimal resistance between the engine block and the negative battery terminal. High resistance would indicate a bad ground connection and that can cause all kinds of issues.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I think you mean infinite resistance.
Hmm, "In an 'ideal' short circuit, this means there is no resistance and thus no voltage drop across the connection. In real circuits, the result is a connection with almost no resistance. In such a case, the current is limited only by the resistance of the rest of the circuit."
Old 12-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Hmm, "In an 'ideal' short circuit, this means there is no resistance and thus no voltage drop across the connection. In real circuits, the result is a connection with almost no resistance. In such a case, the current is limited only by the resistance of the rest of the circuit."
infinity is the opposite of zero.

When there is infinite resistance, there is NO CURRENT POSSIBLE.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote