Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: DOHC/OHC vs. OHV
DOHC/OHC 14 26.92%
OHV 38 73.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Give me pushrods and I'll be happy. Actually, I don't really care either way, I just know they are simpler and it's been proven they are not "lower technology." Hmm... 427 ci and 7000 redline?... Hell, a lot of cam only LS1 guys run to 7000 grand on a stock shortblock and heads. Of course they change the springs, retainers, pushrods and timing chain but still. You don't need need four cams to make power.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #16
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
I'll say OHC cause theyre genrally lighter and can produce higher engine speeds than that of OHV 's can. Not to mention better engine performance and even better design flexiblity.
Last time I checked, the Nascar OHV engines were turning 9500+ rpm, how many more rpms do you need? Are they purpose built engines? Sure they are, but no more so than a high revving Ferrari DOHC engine.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Last time I checked, the Nascar OHV engines were turning 9500+ rpm, how many more rpms do you need? Are they purpose built engines? Sure they are, but no more so than a high revving Ferrari DOHC engine.
Clyde
And the last time I checked, F1 race engines run about twice that. If you could get a Nascar engine to do that, they'd need restrictor plates at martinsville.

Also, could the person who says that ohc engines are lighter please explain? I have never heard of that being the case. I always hear its the other way around.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
DOHC...
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #19
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And the last time I checked, F1 race engines run about twice that. If you could get a Nascar engine to do that, they'd need restrictor plates at martinsville.

Also, could the person who says that ohc engines are lighter please explain? I have never heard of that being the case. I always hear its the other way around.
And the last time YOU ran an 18,000 rpm engine on the street was?? I'll let you guys finish arguing it out, quite frankly I find the direction it's going in to be ridiculous.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
And the last time YOU ran an 18,000 rpm engine on the street was?? I'll let you guys finish arguing it out, quite frankly I find the direction it's going in to be ridiculous.
Clyde
Wha-?

C'mon! It's the infamous DOHC vs OHV debate firing up here.
It sits in the company of such debates like SS v Z28!!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #21
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Y spin the engine faster, with a small displacement, to produce the same amount of power with a larger displacement engine at lower RPMS? you have to spin the engine faster on a DOHC to get the same power out of it. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Clyde
It only started getting ridiculous when you brought purpose built race motors into the equation. Not what this thread is about.
Oh, OHV is my choice.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
you have to spin the engine faster on a DOHC to get the same power out of it. . .
Just some numbers for consideration:

2002 Camaro LS1: 310hp@5200rpm / 340tq@4000rpm
Mustang mod 4.6L: 300hp@5750rpm / 320tq@4500rpm
Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #24
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I hate hearing the argument about the OHV being outdated. Its BS. The OHC design dates back about just as far. If GM can produce an engine with larger displacement, manage high 20s in gas mileage, and make mind bending power and potential; then I say dont **** with it.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #25
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Awww come on... a topic isn't truly reached the end until someone makes a comparsion to Nazis.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Clyde
I've never ran a race engine on the street -Nascar, F1, WRC, NHRA, or other. The point you were making is that ohv engines can make high revs, which they can (I consider anything above 7k high reving). But to put that into perspective, dohc engines are capable of much more. Dont get me wrong, I love Nascar. I've seen a couple races out at MIS. Wish I was there yesterday, it wasn't even broadcast out here. Anyway, back on topic . . .

A fair comparison of DOHC vs OHV would be the 5.7L Toyota engine vs Dodges new 5.7L Hemi. Similar power,similar torque.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #27
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Just some numbers for consideration:

2002 Camaro LS1: 310hp@5200rpm / 340tq@4000rpm
Mustang mod 4.6L: 300hp@5750rpm / 320tq@4500rpm
I also know several people that have the new GT with that rating. . .and they all say that it doesn't feel like 300 horses compared to my 98 which was rated at 305 hp. which as you can see it's reving a full 500 more times for the tq and 550 more for the hp. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #28
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Not to mention the LS1 was unrated. Lol. Most current Mustang GTs would be lucky to make 280 to the wheels.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote