Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #15
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro Vert
TT issue, White smoke

I did say the oil and water look ok and does not look like I am losing any.

Sparks are fine and no issues. I did a compression test last week and everything look ok.

Doing leak test now. Only got 2 done yesterday. Hope to get rest today or tomorrow.

Been driving it almost a month now since the first time this happen. Even couple hour drives. Everything look normal. That why it’s so strange.

Did not do a pressure test on rad.

And when I mean smoke I mean a lot. Had to pull over because I could not even see road behind me.

As for the starting issue no it was like the battery was dead and it was trying to start. Battery was ok. By time I got it home driving slow it very little smoke coming out and starting was fine after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KalCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #16
fleebag

Drives: Moneypit
Oil feed to turbos? I was doing the 007 James Bond smoke trick until I went to a smaller oil restrictor. Just a thought, but this only happened under load not normal driving.
Good luck though
fleebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #17
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

TT issue, White smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebag View Post
Oil feed to turbos? I was doing the 007 James Bond smoke trick until I went to a smaller oil restrictor. Just a thought, but this only happened under load not normal driving.
Good luck though

Good point by my installer said You don’t restrict journal turbos.

I did notice oil came out of the oil drain where it meets the turbo bottom. Might need to put a better clamp on that.

This makes the gray smoke when oil is burning up front. But then it gets sucked into turbos as air :-(

Old 11-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #18
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Oil would not be white smoke, and it would stink like ****
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #19
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

TT issue, White smoke

Driver side all checked with leak tester and all are good. Images attached.

Will do other side tomorrow

Also just plugged catch can into intake vacuum with one way valve. Still need to get full time vac. By tapping into top of filter. Need to find a 3/8 vac tap that can connect to rubber lol

Also redid the drain line out of turbo looked a little wimpy and I think oil came out here when in boost. Got some 10an connectors and tubing coming to replace all next time I take it off

Old 11-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #20
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
I have had to diagnose this issue a number of times in the past on customers turbo setups and in every case, turned out to be oil passing through the rings on the turbine side and burning in the exhaust. This could be due to as oil drain back issue from the turbos to the engine which can be caused by bad turbine rings, crankcase pressure being excessive, restriction in the drain fitting/hose assembly. (The drain hose should be at least 3/4-7/8" inside diameter, with no fitting restrictions.)
The way to check this is to run the car hard until it begins to smoke. Remove one turbo and look at the turbine side. If oil wet on the exhaust discharge and dry exhaust inlet, the problem is one of the above issues. If oil wet on both sides, oil coming from engine. It will be obvious if you follow this procedure. Been there, done that many times.

Your oil feed lines look fine.
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #21
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
I have had to diagnose this issue a number of times in the past on customers turbo setups and in every case, turned out to be oil passing through the rings on the turbine side and burning in the exhaust. This could be due to as oil drain back issue from the turbos to the engine which can be caused by bad turbine rings, crankcase pressure being excessive, restriction in the drain fitting/hose assembly. (The drain hose should be at least 3/4-7/8" inside diameter, with no fitting restrictions.)
The way to check this is to run the car hard until it begins to smoke. Remove one turbo and look at the turbine side. If oil wet on the exhaust discharge and dry exhaust inlet, the problem is one of the above issues. If oil wet on both sides, oil coming from engine. It will be obvious if you follow this procedure. Been there, done that many times.

Your oil feed lines look fine.
Working my breather setup now. catch can has vac from intake. just waiting on taps to go into the air filters for full time vac.

also looked into oil drain. Did not like what i seen. So I just ordered some new stuff for it. It has normal rubber tubing that can bend very easy. got some Nylon Braided coming that should keep it nice and round.

the Flange was just for hose so going to change out to 10AN fittings.

10AN Turbo Oil Drain Flange
10AN Black Straight Female to 10AN Swivel Hose
10AN Nylon Braided Hose

Thanks for the feed back!
Old 11-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #22
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Here is the drain line from drive side to pass side. Then it tees to other turbo and goes to passenger side oil tap on pan.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #23
scv_guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
My vote is a head gasket...
scv_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #24
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
He has presented no complaints of fluid loss, overheating, excess pressure in the cooling system or poor running, and claims all the plugs look perfectly normal etc.

ie...no symptoms of HG failure at all.

So either he is conveying misleading information, or the HG's are fine.

Also, the routing of that oil return does look quite long with little gravity assistance. Ideally each turbo would drain locally to each side, downwards to a low point on the pan/timing cover ( above level of oil in pan )

Routing one of them sideways from one side to the other really is not ideal, but the hose looks to have decent ID
Although also an easy trap for oil if it doesnt run downhill enough

At the minute it does sound like inadequate oil drain/crankcase breathing which would be blue/stinking smoke as opposed to white smoke.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #25
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
As Stevie mentioned, could the oil return line to the pan be slightly below the oil line in the pan. This would cause it not to drain back properly therefore causing these issues.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #26
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Everything looks good on leak down test.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #27
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

TT issue, White smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJO View Post
As Stevie mentioned, could the oil return line to the pan be slightly below the oil line in the pan. This would cause it not to drain back properly therefore causing these issues.

It’s at the top on the pan so it got to be above it.

I will get some pics of it soon

Old 11-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #28
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
At the minute it does sound like inadequate oil drain/crankcase breathing which would be blue/stinking smoke as opposed to white smoke.

It was smoke and looked white didn’t see any blue. Even the oil when in my hot pipes is white smoke and not blue.

I think the turbos shot oil into the exhaust and it just smoked until burned out. Also found oil intakes lines