Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #141
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The Z/28 should get the same engine as the Z06 be it 5th gen or future gens.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #142
Legendary Umbra

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE Summit White
Arrow OR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Dont say that in the Z28 subforum or they will chase with their pitch forks in an angry mob!!! hahahahaha

But I agree with you guys. I just dont see where in the 5th Gen the Z28 fits in. It has to perform better than the 1LE but not as good as the ZL1 bc IIRC the ZL1 is supposed to be the ultimate Camaro.
Street Legal COPO...or unfortunately, perhaps a Jay Leno twin turbo v6...I prefer a 7.0L V8 427!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #143
LeviG

Drives: '95 Acura Integra GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
Would it be selfish to say, I am more concerned about where it will fit in my garage ! We already have 2 and are looking to sell the wife's SS for a Convertible ZL1....how many Camaro's can one person have .....

LeviG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #144
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Awesome!
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #145
Unique Auto Depot

Drives: Camaro 2010

Thought they would have that already ???
Unique Auto Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #146
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletAnything View Post
Thought they would have that already ???
Unlike copyrights or patents, trademark registration rights can last indefinitely if the owner continues to use the mark to identify goods or services.
They did, but since they stopped using it they had to reapply... luckily no one else took it when it ran its course.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #147
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I'm pretty sure the rights to the names of cars expires after a time and to retain it, you have to renew. That they applied to keep it isn't a real surprise, and doubtful any other car manufacturer would use the name. Can you imagine a Mustang Z28???

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #148
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
I wonder what the price tag will be.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #149
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Today's GM isn't the same company it was in the past. It's quite evident by what they've done that the Camaro team of today isn't just a couple of guys in the marketing department who's job is to come up with marketing names to squeeze more sales out of the market year after year.

The 5th gen Camaro wasn't just a retro remake; it was a brand new first class design and effort. The ZL1 wasn't just a regular Camaro with an "official" supercharger so they could market it with more horsepower; it was a serious technology rework of an SS but it was/is still a street car. The 1LE is a track pack option for an SS and it's a noteworthy upgrade in many areas you wouldn't expect; many heavy areas like transmission, coolers, differential, hubs, axles, etc. instead of just stiffer shocks and sway bars. It's clearly a great package for the weekend warrior who likes to run HPDE and autocross events and for the price it's unbeatable...but it's still not a race car.

The Camaro team has demonstrated a great deal of thought and "we get it" in the things they've done to each of those performance models. The fact the ZL1 was NOT labelled as a Z/28 shows they very much "get it" as to what the Z/28 needs to be. Another thing they have to keep in mind is whatever they do with the Z/28 it has to be able to meet cafe standards coming up; which means doing something different than what we've seen in the past.

The Z/28 is going to be a track car you can legally drive on the street; not a street car with some track upgrades... that's what the 1LE is and I don't see that being replaced by the Z/28. Based on the thought evident in the ZL1's technology and the heavy-duty component upgrades seen in the 1LE, I suspect they're working on a serious track car which will use technology as much as possible but still be legal for racing (i.e. no magnetic suspension). It will fit between the 1LE and the ZL1 price-wise; not have as much power as the ZL1 but out-perform it on the track. They've gone to school on the ZL1 and 1LE with the 5th gen and I think it almost has to be a 6th gen model due to the amount of "reworking" it would require on the 5th gen. I don't think it will use an LS7; most likely it will have the next generation V8 for emission and technology reasons.

Price: I see it at around $44,995 base model which for most people will be the one they buy; it will be the one for the guy who hardly ever actually races but sure wants to look and sound like they do on the street. They want to be seen in a Z/28 and be the center of attention wherever they go. Probably use the 1LE wheel package. It will be one helluva street car.

Upgrades will be things strictly for racing. For performance, smaller wheels; 19's or maybe even 18's that are very lightweight. Poly bushing upgrades ala Pedder's, Pfadt, etc. The interior will have racing seat options, 5-point racing belts with mounting points, Hans-device ready, possible interior roll bar with rear seat removed, and a fire extinguisher driver-accessible. Technology: gauges, instruments and electronics all geared towards racing. Cameras front and rear that can tie in to dash controls for recording laps. Wireless technology that can transmit performance telemetry to either your smart phone or through the roof antenna to your pit crew. You'll be able to record your laps and view all the data super-imposed over the camera footage. Driver-selectable track modes for long tracks or short tracks. And most likely they'll include things we never thought of or thought they would.

Price for the upgrade package will add another $5k so the Z/28 with upgrades will be about $49,995.

This car will beat the ZL1's track record on the Nurburgring. It will beat the track record of cars costing much much more. ZR1 owners are going to want one. GT-R owners are going to be ill. BMW owners are going to be quiet and hope a Z/28 doesn't show up at their track session, but they'll all be standing around it asking questions if one does. Porsche owners will try to ignore it. Mustang owners will be talking about the "next" model from Ford that will beat the Z/28 so they can have something to talk about when talking to Z/28 owners. The Z/28 will begin a new racing legacy and become every bit the legend it's predecessor was.

I'm going to want one...I...don't.....nee..eeed...it...I....don't... ..
As awesome and bad ass as that sounds, I just don't see that happening. GM set out to make the ZL1 the ultimate camaro/pony car and tehy succeeded.

EDIT: see you mentioned it being a 6th gen model. Then I can see that happening if the ZL1 isnt around. Only reason I see it not happening is I dont see how you can have your ultimate top of the line Camaro ZL1 that starts around 55K then have a car that costs 10K less and outperforms the ultimate camaro.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #150
Dan @ Pro Custom Products

Drives: Chevy
All of this talk is sweet music to my ears. :emoticon7:
Dan @ Pro Custom Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #151
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I hope you guys know that just because GM trademarks the name, doesn't mean they'll be making it anytime soon (IF they even do). I still think there won't be any 5th gen Z/28.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #152
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Name:  2015 Camaro Concept.jpeg
Views: 631
Size:  64.0 KB All this talk of 6 gen Z28,seems too early for a new generation Camaro.Why not some styling changes on the 5 gen?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #153
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Today's GM isn't the same company it was in the past. It's quite evident by what they've done that the Camaro team of today isn't just a couple of guys in the marketing department who's job is to come up with marketing names to squeeze more sales out of the market year after year.

The 5th gen Camaro wasn't just a retro remake; it was a brand new first class design and effort. The ZL1 wasn't just a regular Camaro with an "official" supercharger so they could market it with more horsepower; it was a serious technology rework of an SS but it was/is still a street car. The 1LE is a track pack option for an SS and it's a noteworthy upgrade in many areas you wouldn't expect; many heavy areas like transmission, coolers, differential, hubs, axles, etc. instead of just stiffer shocks and sway bars. It's clearly a great package for the weekend warrior who likes to run HPDE and autocross events and for the price it's unbeatable...but it's still not a race car.

The Camaro team has demonstrated a great deal of thought and "we get it" in the things they've done to each of those performance models. The fact the ZL1 was NOT labelled as a Z/28 shows they very much "get it" as to what the Z/28 needs to be. Another thing they have to keep in mind is whatever they do with the Z/28 it has to be able to meet cafe standards coming up; which means doing something different than what we've seen in the past.

The Z/28 is going to be a track car you can legally drive on the street; not a street car with some track upgrades... that's what the 1LE is and I don't see that being replaced by the Z/28. Based on the thought evident in the ZL1's technology and the heavy-duty component upgrades seen in the 1LE, I suspect they're working on a serious track car which will use technology as much as possible but still be legal for racing (i.e. no magnetic suspension). It will fit between the 1LE and the ZL1 price-wise; not have as much power as the ZL1 but out-perform it on the track. They've gone to school on the ZL1 and 1LE with the 5th gen and I think it almost has to be a 6th gen model due to the amount of "reworking" it would require on the 5th gen. I don't think it will use an LS7; most likely it will have the next generation V8 for emission and technology reasons.

Price: I see it at around $44,995 base model which for most people will be the one they buy; it will be the one for the guy who hardly ever actually races but sure wants to look and sound like they do on the street. They want to be seen in a Z/28 and be the center of attention wherever they go. Probably use the 1LE wheel package. It will be one helluva street car.

Upgrades will be things strictly for racing. For performance, smaller wheels; 19's or maybe even 18's that are very lightweight. Poly bushing upgrades ala Pedder's, Pfadt, etc. The interior will have racing seat options, 5-point racing belts with mounting points, Hans-device ready, possible interior roll bar with rear seat removed, and a fire extinguisher driver-accessible. Technology: gauges, instruments and electronics all geared towards racing. Cameras front and rear that can tie in to dash controls for recording laps. Wireless technology that can transmit performance telemetry to either your smart phone or through the roof antenna to your pit crew. You'll be able to record your laps and view all the data super-imposed over the camera footage. Driver-selectable track modes for long tracks or short tracks. And most likely they'll include things we never thought of or thought they would.

Price for the upgrade package will add another $5k so the Z/28 with upgrades will be about $49,995.

This car will beat the ZL1's track record on the Nurburgring. It will beat the track record of cars costing much much more. ZR1 owners are going to want one. GT-R owners are going to be ill. BMW owners are going to be quiet and hope a Z/28 doesn't show up at their track session, but they'll all be standing around it asking questions if one does. Porsche owners will try to ignore it. Mustang owners will be talking about the "next" model from Ford that will beat the Z/28 so they can have something to talk about when talking to Z/28 owners. The Z/28 will begin a new racing legacy and become every bit the legend it's predecessor was.

I'm going to want one...I...don't.....nee..eeed...it...I....don't... ..
I would love all of that, but you and I both know that GM will get slapped with the usual demands from people just wanting a name plate like --- Full on electronics package with GPS, TouchScreen, DVD/BluRay, 18 speakers, 1500W amp, heated 10 way power seats, automatic, convertible, big pretty wheels, all season tires, etc. etc. etc and will then proceed to complain about it being slow and too heavy.

I welcome a full on racecar-like Camaro that's almost fully stripped and devoid of creature comforts.. H*ll, even ditch the rear seat entirely like the Boss LS. I want a racecar with a VIN Camaro. Not a Comfy Cruiser that can play on a track.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #154
jroc7

Drives: *
GM may just want to avoid having to buy the name from someone the way they have to pay Dave Hamburger from SLP for the use of "ZL1". Also, consider how much merchandise gets sold with the "Z28" name on it. That potential revenue alone would be reason enough to trademark the name.
jroc7 is offline   Reply With Quote