Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
jjeckelxz5

Drives: 2011 Comaro 2SS/RS
axle back vs catback

i'm interested in the borla s-type catback and slp loudmouth axle back.

The axle back is much cheaper and i like the sound a little better of the loudmouth. What are the benefits of going with a full catback like the borla s-type over an axle back? performance? sound note?
jjeckelxz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
sfgiantsfan9

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS and 2001 Ford F250
No measurable power gains have been measured by going with the catback which gives you the x pipe to replace the h pipe. Some people prefer the sound of an x pipe though. I myself prefer an h pipe sound.
sfgiantsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
I have the borla "s" axleback with cai inc. the rest stock. Bought the borla for price ( I am too cheap to buy catback) The borla "s" axleback is a real improvement in sound and less weight than oem. The borla "s" has a deep rumble at idle.
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
jjeckelxz5

Drives: 2011 Comaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by n116ebo View Post
I have the borla "s" axleback with cai inc. the rest stock. Bought the borla for price ( I am too cheap to buy catback) The borla "s" axleback is a real improvement in sound and less weight than oem. The borla "s" has a deep rumble at idle.
do you have any sound clips?
jjeckelxz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
IronMike

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS/RS
here are the video and sound clips...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21289
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Pepe Le Pew
In love with ze Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by n116ebo View Post
Bonjour,
I am considering your exact set up. Please if I may ask you some questions?
1- How much different is Borla "s" axleback back vs stock?
2- Did you install axleback before CAI if so did CAI make a differences in exhaust sound?
3- Do you think ATAK axleback is much more aggressive vs "S"

Merci in advance for your response.
Also anyone's input is much appreciated.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Pharmaro

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew View Post
Bonjour,
I am considering your exact set up. Please if I may ask you some questions?
1- How much different is Borla "s" axleback back vs stock?
2- Did you install axleback before CAI if so did CAI make a differences in exhaust sound?
3- Do you think ATAK axleback is much more aggressive vs "S"

Merci in advance for your response.
Also anyone's input is much appreciated.

Pharmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeckelxz5 View Post
i'm interested in the borla s-type catback and slp loudmouth axle back.

The axle back is much cheaper and i like the sound a little better of the loudmouth. What are the benefits of going with a full catback like the borla s-type over an axle back? performance? sound note?
There won't be any noticable performance gains, but it will change the exhaust sound. The main difference is with the catback it's unbolt the stock stuff and bolt-on the catback, basically plug n play. Where as with an axleback you have to cut the stock exhaust pipe at certain spot and then bolt-on the new parts. The axleback will be cheaper due to fewer parts.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
chris1973

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black on Black
Cat Back Cherry Bomb Extreme $400.00
Discussion and pics:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142477

VIdeo:

Appearance Mods: Razzi Bodykit with LEDs, 3D Carbon Side Vents, Tint, Painted Rims and Calipers,

See/hear my Camaro at
http://youtu.be/wn0Ck-cw6WQ
chris1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:46 AM   #10
Blk'dOutSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS/Interior Trim
I had similar questions as late. I'm looking at the ATAK or S as well. I have seen tons of clips of both in axel and cat? It's only about $100 difference between the 2. I keep looking at the $600 difference in price between the axel and cat. The performance is identical. I am debating on going with full cat which is bolt and comes with the x-pipe or going with the axel and having a x-pipe made for cheaper than the cat. My question is, if I have an x-pipe made will the sound, performance and quality be different due to the axel cutting into factory and a different x-pipe made than what the catback would be?
Blk'dOutSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
dmwhiteman

Drives: 2SS Black w/ Inferno Orange Stripes
This past weekend at Carlisle a Camaro next to me went from stock to borla s with vararam intake. Boy does that baby sound good. I have the slp axle back and do like the sound, but it does need the h-x pipe and resonator delete. For the price difference i say go axle back.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk'dOutSS View Post
I had similar questions as late. I'm looking at the ATAK or S as well. I have seen tons of clips of both in axel and cat? It's only about $100 difference between the 2. I keep looking at the $600 difference in price between the axel and cat. The performance is identical. I am debating on going with full cat which is bolt and comes with the x-pipe or going with the axel and having a x-pipe made for cheaper than the cat. My question is, if I have an x-pipe made will the sound, performance and quality be different due to the axel cutting into factory and a different x-pipe made than what the catback would be?
I would check with some real gear heads before making your own X-pipe. The design and location could be the difference between gaining power and actually losing power.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Pharmaro

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk'dOutSS View Post

I was on Borla's website and I was thinking of just doing the axleback for now, and then buying their x-pipe later as it is available by it's lonesome. Of course, then in the long run you're looking at probably paying more than the catback system would be up front.

This is the most difficult decision (exhaust) I've had to make in a long time, but I'll take these type of difficult decisions anyday

Pharmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
check pricing on marylandspeed.com ....they ran a few package deals with borla when I got my Borla S type...

-I went axle back first - nice, immediate sound improvement over stock. No drone...

-Then S type Cat back - slightly deeper tone, but improvement in HP was little to none. Very, very minor drone

-Lastly I did, CAI intake, S type, plus Kooks headers - Best damn sound I have ever heard. Mild drone at 70mph on the highway...

...decision to purchase borla is my best decision to date as far as audible TONE. As far as volume... obviously that is due to the headers.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote