Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
Ls3ponykiller

Drives: 10 ss/rs ls3
Ported ls3 heads?

I me getting ready to cam and do trunion upgrade along with clutch and I'm also wanting to throw a set of ported heads on there any suggestions? I appreciate it
Ls3ponykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls3ponykiller View Post
I me getting ready to cam and do trunion upgrade along with clutch and I'm also wanting to throw a set of ported heads on there any suggestions? I appreciate it
GPI!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFASTNOTLAST View Post
GPI!
Lulz...I believe he means that what ever you choose to do, work with a person(s) that will put together a complete kit based on you goals,,,when you start slappin parts on willy nilly usually the results are less than had you put it together with all the components designed to work together WITH THE PROPER TUNE! these cars are all computer, the right tuner makes ALL the diff...peace out
Old 03-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
I suggest you do the bronze bushing upgrade from CHE or from Summit Racing, if you want to try something new. Just watch out for some trunions uograde that might be less reliable than stock rockers.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:39 PM   #5
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
WCCH West Coast Cylinder Heads, CHE rockers or Straub Technologies bushings.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Quite a few good shops out there.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:42 AM   #7
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Man I did ported heads on my cam install and it's bit overwhelming because there are so many good shops out there. You have MAST, TICK, Texas Speed Performance, factory GMPP, GPI, and many more. Just find something that suits your needs and compare your build to similar car builds.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
#1 do not expect miracles from just ported heads, they are of course very similar to stock which flows plenty to support 600 rwhp already flowing numbers like ported BBC heads of yesteryear..... I just used GMPP heads factory for about 1300.... and did lots of research about different shops porting and found for a couple hp....you could pay ridiculously more, I did read for stockers Dickey Scoggins made up some for a decent price also.
'
Factory CNC versus others there is not much meat on the bone IMO, now if you doing up a full race with mast ls7 small bore heads for 4 grand done up by Frankenstein with a 750 lift cam on something well ...that's a whole different ball park.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
Ls3ponykiller

I appreciate it yeah I'm gonna be doing a tick stage 3 polluter cam cars already got vararam Cai, rcr ported TB, ported intake manifold, 167 thermostat, borla long tube headers to s type exhaust no cats. So basically should I just do trunion upgrade along with oil pump and new timing chain and call it good? RcR does my tuning
Old 04-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Since you already have Ricks porting go ahead and round it out with his heads.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
Ls3ponykiller

I'll have to see if he has some he didn't last time I checked
Old 04-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #12
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Since you already have Ricks porting go ahead and round it out with his heads.
Wondering the same.......
Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Pulling and porting the heads with a cam job increases the money spent for little gain, porting is done for mostly power adders or stroking with a big cam IMO for gain.....

Add it up: porting of the stock heads...will the place even out do the stock gmpp ported cnc job? new heads about 1400$ a pair summit...... they have to clean them and reseal the valves and so most places its going to cost you at least 1/2 the price of new set of GMPP ported heads.... then you have to have new TTY bolts, new head gaskets, the $ to pull and replace the heads, and while your there if your doing a cam its righteous to go for the new Baskets for the lifters and the lifters which unless they are really low miles should be replaced.... Now if your doing the job yourself on the engine you better read up, and understand things like the preload/lash is .047 a turn on the stock studs= .070+ when you calculate in the rocker ratio....and stock happy lifter low noise zone is .040-.060 more for less noise and ls7/3/2 lifters can do more preload but that's on different engines or just a little more because of higher revs and live with the noise and well a bunch of other stuff..... Even Robert Ways DIY....he did not know back then how to do his preload right and did a few posts searching for the answer......

Me myself I have a car port, I paid for the first cam job and then for assembly of the second engine and used BR 30 break in oil and use ls30 now and did dyno tune with the best around here and HP tuning and know I have to ditch springs at 25k intervals and did not raise the upper limit as why...... Just lots of stuff to think about...Good Luck BTW this ...I read everything I could find to compare cost and quality and flow of heads before I bought mine and just went GMPP CNC that outflowed and out performed most porting by most shops for a lot less some times a real lot less. Many on here think money does not matter....
Old 04-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Christian, I think you own stock in BR 30 break-in oil.......
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote