Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

Old 08-29-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
Den-y

Drives: Silver shark
Key fob

I have an issue with 1 of my keys & was wondering if any of you in the uk has had a new key programmed within the uk.
If not are there any chevrolet dealers . Thanks
Den-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:38 AM   #2
johndm

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
What's the issue, model and year of vehicle, remote start or not?

J
johndm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
Den-y

The buttons went on my fob so ordered a new fob on eBay got a friend of mine to change the transponder over to the new fob & had the new blade cut but now I have the immobilizer light that stays on the dash ( car wont start) . I've tried a couple of YouTube videos on how to 're program the key but to no avail
Old 08-30-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
johndm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den-y View Post
The buttons went on my fob so ordered a new fob on eBay got a friend of mine to change the transponder over to the new fob & had the new blade cut but now I have the immobilizer light that stays on the dash ( car wont start) . I've tried a couple of YouTube videos on how to 're program the key but to no avail

If you bought an empty shell and swapped the transponder into it there was no need to reprogram the fob, and you can swap the blade by removing the small pin that holds it in place.

I don't think you can reprogram an already programmed fob so I think that's why it won't work anymore, but there is a reset method below.

I hope you still have one fully working key/fob?

If not, try this,

Programming option #2: “No Spare Key” / “Reset Method”
1.Insert your new key into the ignition.
2. Turn the key to the “ON” position (don’t start the car)
3. Wait 10 minutes for the security light on the tachometer to turn off.
4. Turn the key to the “OFF” position.
Repeat steps 2 through 4 until the security light remains ON during step 3. — Usually after the 3rd time.
5. Once the security light no longer turns off after waiting 10+ minutes, turn the key to the “OFF” position.
6. If the process was successful, the next time the key is turned to “ON” position, the number of keys programmed should be displayed on the Driver Information Center and your new FOB will be ready to use.

J
Old 08-30-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
Den-y

The old blade wouldn't fit properly on the new fob so that's why the new blade was cut , I did try the new key straight away but engine wouldn't start & the immobilizer light was on dash . I have tried this method as above & also where u put ur original key in , start the engine, turn off & insert new key , this way it starts but light still on dash & when u take key out & replace after a minute ur back to square 1 again , nothing
Old 08-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
johndm

Quote:
The old blade wouldn't fit properly on the new fob so that's why the new blade was cut , I did try the new key straight away but engine wouldn't start & the immobilizer light was on dash . I have tried this method as above & also where u put ur original key in , start the engine, turn off & insert new key , this way it starts but light still on dash & when u take key out & replace after a minute ur back to square 1 again , nothing
You do not start the engine when programming, won't work if you do that as you said above.

Maybe you should buy a new OEM key/fob?

The only Chevrolet Dealer is Ian Allen Motors in Virginia Water, but they ain't cheap
Old 08-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Den-y

I phoned them up & they didn't have a clue . I have spotted a couple on eBay with transponders already in , now weighing that option up , I've also been in touch with a company in usa & they said that my car has an outstanding recall on it regarding the key fob
Old 08-30-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
johndm

Quote:
I phoned them up & they didn't have a clue . I have spotted a couple on eBay with transponders already in , now weighing that option up , I've also been in touch with a company in usa & they said that my car has an outstanding recall on it regarding the key fob
Yeah, might be best to start again with a new unprogrammed OEM one?

The Camaro key recall is total bollocks, ignore that but you can see about it here.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
Den-y

Yes I have read bits on the recall & my day to day car has a similar fob just with less buttons & have had no issue with that but then again I am a short ass lol
Old 08-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
pat_t

Drives: .
This is something that makes me nervous as I only have the one key for mine, if it malfunctioned got lost/broken there doesn't seem to be much support in the UK.

I would try contacting Chevrolet USA directly at socialmedia@gm.com they were extremely helpful when I wanted a copy of my original build card and got it for me within 24 hours.
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
johndm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
This is something that makes me nervous as I only have the one key for mine, if it malfunctioned got lost/broken there doesn't seem to be much support in the UK.

I would try contacting Chevrolet USA directly at socialmedia@gm.com they were extremely helpful when I wanted a copy of my original build card and got it for me within 24 hours.
I only got one with mine too, so bought a genuine new blank GM key/fob, Timpsons copied/cut the blade from mine, and I programmed myself
Old 08-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
Den-y

Do you have a link on where u can get a new fob plz & how you brogrammed it in urself johnjdm
Old 08-31-2018, 02:22 AM   #13
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
http://www.partsusa.co.uk/

This guy is near me, might be worth a call.
Authorised GM parts distributor etc.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:06 AM   #14
johndm

Quote:
Do you have a link on where u can get a new fob plz & how you brogrammed it in urself johnjdm
Was a couple of years back, I just found a good seller on Amazon USA who ships to the UK with decent postage costs, and made sure it was OEM.

Timpsons cut the blade by copying my original key,

Followed this procedure,

1. Insert your working key into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position (don’t start the car)
2. Wait for the security light on the tachometer to turn off.
3. Remove you spare key.
4. Insert the NEW key (the one that hasn’t been programmed yet) into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position. (don’t start the car yet)
5. The number of keys programmed should now be displayed on the Driver Information Center and your new FOB will be ready to use.

I don't recall seeing the message on the DIC, so I just waited 30 secs before starting the car.

Hope you get sorted