Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
2 things I always want more of in a car, horsepower and brakes
OK but you know those bigger brakes are slowing you down... when you aren't using them right? And not slowing you down any better when you are using them if you can already exceed the coefficient of friction of the tire?

I've always found that the sweet spot is having JUST enough brakes to stop the car lap after lap, no more, no less.

Certainly if you need more thermal mass and cooling/etc hasn't helped, then run bigger rotors - it's the logical solution at that point.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
How are you going to fit the calipers over the bigger rotors? The calipers are solidly attached to their mounts.
Yes, did not think of this. Need to have the complete set from the ZL1 (J6H) then...
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 PM   #17
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
OK but you know those bigger brakes are slowing you down... when you aren't using them right? And not slowing you down any better when you are using them if you can already exceed the coefficient of friction of the tire?

I've always found that the sweet spot is having JUST enough brakes to stop the car lap after lap, no more, no less.

Certainly if you need more thermal mass and cooling/etc hasn't helped, then run bigger rotors - it's the logical solution at that point.
Yes, but to his credit, most OEM cars can usually use more brakes. I think very few people actually think of brakes when they do things like headers, pulleys, tunes, exhaust, cams, etc.

These looked nice, but the felt like wood compared to my previous SS and my new 1LE. All 3 are brembos.
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I’m pretty sure the rear calipers are the same, yeah? Same brake pad part number.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #19
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I’m pretty sure the rear calipers are the same, yeah? Same brake pad part number.
Rear calipers are definitely not the same between J6M and J6H. The J6H has a bottom external cross over pipe, different shape, size, and machining.

Attached Images

Last edited by RUQWIKR; 04-21-2018 at 06:26 PM.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #20
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
How hard would it be to do a ZL1 brake upgrade in the rear?
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #21
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
There is absolutely no logical reason to change to ZL1 brakes on a 1LE. The reason that ZL1's have larger brakes is because it's a heavier car. And that is one reason that it's heavier because of the front rotors. On a 1LE you have ample braking with oem package. You DO NOT want more unsprung weight on the front of a 1LE. Unless you want to go slower.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #22
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
There is absolutely no logical reason to change to ZL1 brakes on a 1LE. The reason that ZL1's have larger brakes is because it's a heavier car. And that is one reason that it's heavier because of the front rotors. On a 1LE you have ample braking with oem package. You DO NOT want more unsprung weight on the front of a 1LE. Unless you want to go slower.
You will get some that agree and some, like me, that disagree depending on the usage. Drive aggressive enough for long enough on various tracks, and you'll find the limits of the SS 1LE brakes (J6M). They are great for what they are. As far as heavier, a M6 regular ZL1 is only about 100#'s heavier, though, over the nose mostly, while the ZL1 1LE is only about 50#'s heavier. They have larger brakes (J6H) because of the extra power allowing higher speeds.

Hint - I know of at least one SS 1LE and another one coming that has changed to J6H brakes - with absolutely no regrets.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #23
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
The rears definitely do look different, but they appear to be the same pad internally.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #24
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
The rears definitely do look different, but they appear to be the same pad internally.
Rear J6H pads are slightly bigger a bit different shape.

J6M rear pad:

Old 04-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #25
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
You will get some that agree and some, like me, that disagree depending on the usage. Drive aggressive enough for long enough on various tracks, and you'll find the limits of the SS 1LE brakes (J6M). They are great for what they are. As far as heavier, a M6 regular ZL1 is only about 100#'s heavier, though, over the nose mostly, while the ZL1 1LE is only about 50#'s heavier. They have larger brakes (J6H) because of the extra power allowing higher speeds.

Hint - I know of at least one SS 1LE and another one coming that has changed to J6H brakes - with absolutely no regrets.
Just finished up my J6H install this weekend. I totally forgot to weigh the rotors though, doh. I have to give GM props for the hydraulic line fitting location, it results in minimal fluid loss and thus minimal air ingestion. Even with the new hardware I only needed 0.8 liters for a flush. It's interesting the two setups use different part numbers for the rear hoses, because they appear otherwise identical. The J6H front rotor shield is even smaller than the J6M's already minimal shield.

Pedal feel during the test drive felt identical to the J6M's, unsurprisingly. I'm looking forward to less than 450°F caliper temps on-track this year.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
That's not the whole story...I agree with RUQWIKR.

There are other reasons to go bigger....thermal capacity, heat dissipation, swept area = more braking force. All of these things become more helpful the faster you go...and since the ZL1 is capable of higher speeds, pulling a car down from 140 is much different than from 120, for example. So I'd argue the weight factor is lower on the list...higher speeds is probably #1 or #2.

That said, you are right that the OE braking system on the SS 1LE is very well suited to that vehicle...an upgrade to more aggressive pads will net far better results than an expensive upgrade to the OE ZL1 brakes.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #27
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I'd have to wonder if there aren't any good aftermarket setups? If you don't have enough braking and want to/need to upgrade, you can usually do better than the cost-cutting OEM stuff and get a significant improvement by going aftermarket, often without drawbacks such as massively increased weight or marginal improvement.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I'd have to wonder if there aren't any good aftermarket setups? If you don't have enough braking and want to/need to upgrade, you can usually do better than the cost-cutting OEM stuff and get a significant improvement by going aftermarket, often without drawbacks such as massively increased weight or marginal improvement.
I wouldn't exactly consider either the SS 1LE, nor ZL1 setups as cost-cutting...two piece rotors & monobloc calipers are $$$$...You could, I'm sure, get something good from Wilwood or Baer or some other company like that.

Or if you really want to go crazy, look into Carbon Ceramic rotors. But for 99% of drivers...a good rotor, and a really aggressive pad balanced front/rear will get the max braking power they'll ever need. Couple that to a slick tire, extra cooling, and I can't imagine how else to improve braking performance.