Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Black Camaro cleaner and wax kit

I have a 2010 black SS, early production R6P and the paint quality isn't the best or even close to being as good as the new Camaro's. I found a cleaner and wax kit from Turtle Wax, it's called Black Box and is specifically for use on black vehicles.

I did a search on the forum and couldn't find any posts on how this kit works. After reading the instructions it appears to be a very intense and time consuming process. You essentially have to do the process in 4 separate steps.

I have a lot of little scratches from pulling the cover over the car. I never noticed them until I was waxing the car one day. The GM cover fits great but it shouldn't cause scratches in the finish but it does. Now I don't cover the car accept when the car goes into winter storage to avoid putting more scratches in the paint.

I will report back how this Black Box kit works, my goal is to get rid of these tiny scratches. If anyone has any experience with it please post how the stuff worked.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Didn't it come with any type of information?
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
As far as I remember it has some type Cleaner Polish, 2 bottles of Spray and a wax and some applicators. Some folks like it but they down the road moved to to a PC and proper chemicals for their ride. Let us know how it turns out with a before and after photos.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I've used this before. It has a bunch of black fillers and will turn everything you use with it black. including your hands. Will never use it again

The fillers fill the scratches for about 2 days, and any weather or washing will remove the fillers. It will NOT correct any swirls or scratches you have. Polishing is the only way to really correct your paint.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
I've used this before. It has a bunch of black fillers and will turn everything you use with it black. including your hands. Will never use it again

The fillers fill the scratches for about 2 days, and any weather or washing will remove the fillers. It will NOT correct any swirls or scratches you have. Polishing is the only way to really correct your paint.
Not what I was hoping to hear, but glad you told me. I wonder if I can spot do it prior to a show or will I be able to see where it was done compared to the rest of the car??

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Return the kit if possible and order the proper materials. All the info is right at your fingertips on this forum and many others.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
OHIOSS I'm really glad you posted this as I was recently informed of this Black Turtle Wax too and was going to try it. It seems there have been some negative experiences with it though. Are you going to give it a try or return it? I'm still debating. I got my car one month ago and swirl marks are everywhere and it pisses me off. I was hoping this would be a good solution.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
RS4DS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
I have used this on my Black S-10 which had alot of little stars under the paint. It worked well for me, but did turn my hand, concret and everting eles it touches black. Use gloves and be carefull of it dripping.

Dan
RS4DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I bought the Turtle Was Black Quick Detailer spray. Says it will give your black car a deep wet look. Well...it does make it look darker, but it goes on so streaky that I had to use 10 times as much Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer to clean it off. I thought it was going to work great, but it's more pain than it's worth.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I have a 2010 black SS, early production R6P and the paint quality isn't the best or even close to being as good as the new Camaro's. I found a cleaner and wax kit from Turtle Wax, it's called Black Box and is specifically for use on black vehicles.

I did a search on the forum and couldn't find any posts on how this kit works. After reading the instructions it appears to be a very intense and time consuming process. You essentially have to do the process in 4 separate steps.
The Black Box is designed to fill in swirl marks and create the appearance of highly polished paint. Compared to actual car care it isn't too involved. The results though are not as long lasting as truly polishing and correcting the paint.

Quote:
I have a lot of little scratches from pulling the cover over the car. I never noticed them until I was waxing the car one day. The GM cover fits great but it shouldn't cause scratches in the finish but it does. Now I don't cover the car accept when the car goes into winter storage to avoid putting more scratches in the paint.
Car covers don't scratch (generally), it is any dirt that is on the paint (or on the cover) that scratches. Never put a car cover on a dirty car, or a dirty car cover on anything.

Quote:
I will report back how this Black Box kit works, my goal is to get rid of these tiny scratches. If anyone has any experience with it please post how the stuff worked.

Russ
Russ, if your goal is to remove the scratches, you will need to use a machine polisher in combination with the correct pads and polishes.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I've used the black box and was content with the results...however, for the time spent (4 hours), I feel like I should of gotten perfect results out of it. It will be something I use twice a year, not every 3-4 months or so. It does make your car look like a mirror. Here's a pic right after-
Attached Images

Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
laditee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I use nothing but Mequirer....
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
I've used the black box and was content with the results...however, for the time spent (4 hours), I feel like I should of gotten perfect results out of it. It will be something I use twice a year, not every 3-4 months or so. It does make your car look like a mirror. Here's a pic right after-
Perfect paint (a full paint correct) takes MUCH longer then 3-4 hours.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #14
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Perfect paint (a full paint correct) takes MUCH longer then 3-4 hours.
Where are you drivin everyday?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote