Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:27 AM   #15
Brandywine5

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
First off, let's not have this thread devolve into a V6 vs V8 thread. That's not the intent of this post.

What IS the intent is to express the extreme frustration I am feeling right now. I just took possession of my 2014 2LT and for every congratulatory comment I have received I get one questioning my decision to get the V6 and not the SS. These comments come from OUTSIDE the Camaro 5 forums, let me be clear. I'm talking Facebook, co-workers, friends, etc. I find the overwhelming majority of the Camaro 5 community to be equally enthusiastic about all models of Camaro, regardless of displacement.

But here's a sampling of what I get from some of my "friends"

"A V6?! Really?"
"Why didn't you get the V8?!"
"Shoulda got the V8!!"
"A REAL Camaro doesn't have a V6."

These are actual comments I have received in response to my news that I got a new Camaro.

What the hell possesses people to say stuff like that? I'm happy with my V6. I love it and I bought it FOR ME, not for them (clearly) so why do they say stuff like that?
The same thing happened when I bought my 2010 LS four years ago. People seem to be so willing to make comments about how I should have spent my money.

Sorry for the ranting, but it gets kinda hard to remain enthusiastic about my new car when I have to put up with that crap.

Any other V6 owners experience this?
I have an answer for the first three and am asked on rare occasions. The last one doesn't require an answer.

I think if you take it in stride and let it slide off your back you'll find those comments less irritating. It works for me, just sayin
Old 04-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #16
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
I would let them know your V6 has more HP than many of the previous generation V8.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #17
RazorLED

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
OP, did you not know that these are compliments

Definition:

"A V6?! Really?""= I hate that you have a Camaro, and I drive a POS

Why didn't you get the V8?!"" = Why did I marry my sister.

Shoulda got the V8!!""= I should have studied more in school.

A REAL Camaro doesn't have a V6."= A real man drives a Camaro
Old 04-26-2014, 12:33 AM   #18
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Just say "so where's your camaro with the v8? Yeah that's what I ****ing thought! Just stfu"
Old 04-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #19
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
I'm just happy to be here.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2014, 12:50 AM   #20
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
thats easy they are just jealous that they dont have one. you should say wheres your v8 camaro? or say my car can still smoke yours lol
Old 04-26-2014, 12:51 AM   #21
tom231

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
When I tell people that I have a camaro, nine times out of ten the first thing they ask is if it's got a v8. That's just the way it is!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:52 AM   #22
bee1100

Drives: Yellow, Bumblebee V6 moded
i have a v6 with mods and i tell them well it will beat your v8 so thats why i got it
Old 04-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #23
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
If they asked you why you would get a V6 just ask the obvious question of "Why wouldn't I get the 6 ? Have you seen how much HP these new one's are putting out on regular pump gas with direct injection and 11.5/1 compression ratio.? I daily drive this thing and it's a sight more exciting to drive than most cars I've owned and gets around 28 mpg cruising highway. She'll do 140 ,but then I'm no boy racer wannabe and keep it on the low side as I have nothing to prove. I'm grown now. By the way, what do you think of the AFM feature standard on the SS V-8 automatics? I don't think the manual tranny V-8's have it but I hear they have a skip shift feature. Did you want to talk about Camaros or were you just making chit chat?"
Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 AM   #24
Camaro310

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Fully loaded
Congrats on the purchase, I had a simpler experience when i owned my 2011 2LS. I ended up trading it for the 2013 Camaro 2SS. You got to listen to the lil man.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:12 AM   #25
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
First off, let's not have this thread devolve into a V6 vs V8 thread. That's not the intent of this post.

What IS the intent is to express the extreme frustration I am feeling right now. I just took possession of my 2014 2LT and for every congratulatory comment I have received I get one questioning my decision to get the V6 and not the SS. These comments come from OUTSIDE the Camaro 5 forums, let me be clear. I'm talking Facebook, co-workers, friends, etc. I find the overwhelming majority of the Camaro 5 community to be equally enthusiastic about all models of Camaro, regardless of displacement.

But here's a sampling of what I get from some of my "friends"

"A V6?! Really?"
"Why didn't you get the V8?!"
"Shoulda got the V8!!"
"A REAL Camaro doesn't have a V6."

These are actual comments I have received in response to my news that I got a new Camaro.

What the hell possesses people to say stuff like that? I'm happy with my V6. I love it and I bought it FOR ME, not for them (clearly) so why do they say stuff like that?
The same thing happened when I bought my 2010 LS four years ago. People seem to be so willing to make comments about how I should have spent my money.

Sorry for the ranting, but it gets kinda hard to remain enthusiastic about my new car when I have to put up with that crap.

Any other V6 owners experience this?
They're people that just don't know any better. A lot of them still think a V6 makes 90 HP like they did in the third gen cars and don't realize that a V6 these days makes as much or more power than the V8 fourth-gen F-Body cars with a crapload better fuel mileage to boot.

The guys with automatics, both 6 and 8 cylinders, get the same nonsense. Right after I bought my car (which is an M6) a relative goes "Oh good you didn't get an automatic like some sort of (inappropriate sexuality-related slur that rhymes with 'bag')". I'm like, what gives dude? Really?

Unfortunately it is - and always has been - part of buying what's perceived to be the "lesser" version of a performance car. If the ZL1 were seen more frequently, you can bet that the SS guys would hear the same stuff about them. Sure, I'd love to have one - are you going to make the payment for me? No? Then sit down.

TLDR: Just people talking about things they know nothing about
Old 04-26-2014, 01:18 AM   #26
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Yes on occasion I get asked, "V6 or V8?" but usually the questions are more about the color (Is that a custom color? or I have never seen that color before where did you get it?). My current V6 puts out more HP than my V8 2001 Z-28 so what is the worry? Your ride is awesome so drive it PROUD! For what it's worth I traded my SS for an RS. Check my albums. I went from V6 to V8 to V6. I love them all the same just like my kids.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #27
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
My '70 396 S/S had what.... 27 more hp than today's 6 cylinder? That 27 hp probably wasn't enough hp to haul around the engine's extra weight! Enjoy your car! Any car with more than 300hp is nothing to scoff at!
Old 04-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #28
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
I get this all the time as well. "Why did you buy an automatic V6 Camaro!?"

I just tell them it's because it's what I wanted and "Why wouldn't I? I average 25mpg in a car with 323 horsepower stock and I have absolutely no need for 400+ horsepower just to waste gas"

It's just the persona of V6 vs. V8, it'll never end. Know what's funny? You could slap SS emblems on it and say it's a V8 and take them for a drive and they'd probably believe you.

Congrats on the ride!

Closed Thread