Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I spend just under $60 a month on gas usually. But that's 'cause I live 3.5 miles from work and don't go out that far very often.

The Aveo averages about 24/25mpg...

Gas here is currently $2.78 for Regular.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #16
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Fair enough,

I would quote and respond to everyone but I would have to quote the entire thread since everyone feels the same way.

So let me make some clarifications.

First I wanted to see if anyone here was as outraged as I am. It seems that's a "no". I am very well aware that I bought my truck and I accept the responsibility for my actions and in no way am looking for someone else to bail me out of my problem. Other than for our government to do what it can to keep gas prices down, develop better alternatives to foreign oil, etc. But I don't rely on that as my day to day answer. So don't think I am looking for sympathy cus I'm not. But I do appreciate every one's honesty. For those of you overseas. that's just brutal.

The question I have to ask is: What price will gave have to get to before you would change vehicles, if at all?

I do use my truck as a truck regularly. But I am completely willing to change my lifestyle to accommodate the cost of operating my vehicle. Depending on who drives it we spend 300 - 400 a month in gas on it. Both of us drive about 50 miles round trip to work. I am very seriously looking for another vehicle. But I'm only a year or so from paying the truck off. So We'll have to weigh that into the equation. We sold a lifted jeep to get the Mazda because the jeep got 11mpg. So I am comfortable with changing to accommodate our budget.

I watch every penny we save as much money as we can and I concede that I am just frustrated that gas prices are out of my control. As it is right now if we had two Mazdas I could put at least another $150 in a college fund or retirement fund a month.

My apologies for sounding like a wank. And I was wanking. But I do feel that we are just taking this on the chin without putting up much of a fight to our local, state and federal gov. For what it's worth.

I'm done now. I've whipped my nose and stopped my throwing my little temper tantrum. Thanks for your patience
Well I for one did come off a bit harsh, but its mostly becuase unlike you the people that mostly do complain refuse to react to the situation and rely on someone else to rectify it for them.

If you want the government to do something about gas and all its related issues, my suggestion is go research the canidates, write some letters and then get out in nov and vote. Other than that its up to you to change what you do and if enough people follow that then things will change. Until we Americans as a collective whole move away from the large trucks and SUV's things will not change.

That said I love my truck and understand that I pay a premium for owning it (it does get used as a truck, but it is also my daily driver because yes I love driving it) and I understand its going to get even more expensive. When will it get to expensive? Don't know currently my budget has a good 2-300 slush fund, probably when that runs out, or when my truck is paid off and I can buy a camaro.

PS - Oh and someone asked, yes mines the 4.7L but its the old 4.7 not the new one.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
If you want the government to do something about gas and all its related issues, my suggestion is go research the canidates, write some letters and then get out in nov and vote. Other than that its up to you to change what you do and if enough people follow that then things will change. Until we Americans as a collective whole move away from the large trucks and SUV's things will not change.
I didn't want to write another novel for a post but this is exactly where I was headed. For the first time in my voting life I am voting my pocket book. I don't want bailouts of any kind. And I certainly don't want higher taxes. And I have made alternatives to foreign oil a top priority in my presidential choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
That said I love my truck and understand that I pay a premium for owning it (it does get used as a truck, but it is also my daily driver because yes I love driving it) and I understand its going to get even more expensive. When will it get to expensive? Don't know currently my budget has a good 2-300 slush fund, probably when that runs out, or when my truck is paid off and I can buy a camaro.
Agreed. But no one is really willing to say how much is too much. As a country we continue to consume gas at the same rate. We don't care what the price of a barrel of oil or a gallon of gas is. When prices go down we don't buy more gas and when prices go up we don't buy less. We indulge ourselve because we want to. I'm just as guilty as the next. But, I am finaly reaching my limit.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #18
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwithey View Post
Could be worse, try living over here ... how does $7 a gallon grab ya!
Where in surrey do you buy your juice from???

It's more like £1.06ish a litre (4.77 per gallon) around here... and Super is £1.10 per litre (£4.95 per gallon).

Which works out (current exchange rate) at $9.48 and $9.84 respectively.
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #19
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Ahh... and this is why I love my car, 30-33 miles to the gallon

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #20
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^ My mazda 30-33mpg and I love it.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #21
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I filled up in Anaheim, Ca today for $2.83 a gallon. Forget Disneyland. The Rapid Gas 76 Station in Anaheim is the Happiest Place on Earth. I am so framing this receipt.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #22
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Its funny, everyone wants gas\oil prices to go down.. My dad and I always hope to see it raise :S. Mineral rights are a nice thing to have currently. :|

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #23
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Personally I wish you would all just switch to Prius Hybrids so you could stop complaining about gas. That way we as a country could begin to use less gas and energy in general which is the only thing that will bring the price of gas down so that I will be able to fill my LS3 Camaro LOL. I agree gas price is high but that only thing that will make a large difference is if a large number of people around the world made a concious effort to conserve energy on a regular basis. Anyway my point is lets get the rest of the world into small hybrids because we need all the gas we can get for the Camaro population.

You other question, I will consider a high output V6 if it has a substantially better MPG rating and gas is in the $4.50 range. Otherwise I'll just be driving the V8 nicely most of the ime and have the fun with it a little less.
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
Personally I wish you would all just switch to Prius Hybrids so you could stop complaining about gas. That way we as a country could begin to use less gas and energy in general which is the only thing that will bring the price of gas down so that I will be able to fill my LS3 Camaro LOL. I agree gas price is high but that only thing that will make a large difference is if a large number of people around the world made a concious effort to conserve energy on a regular basis. Anyway my point is lets get the rest of the world into small hybrids because we need all the gas we can get for the Camaro population.

You other question, I will consider a high output V6 if it has a substantially better MPG rating and gas is in the $4.50 range. Otherwise I'll just be driving the V8 nicely most of the ime and have the fun with it a little less.
I don't think that the V6 will get that much better mileage than the base V8. Possibly ~10% at the most. And there is no word on there being the LS3 in the Camaro . . . yet. And as far as gas prices being high, based on inflation and improved mileage it will cost less to fuel a ~400 hp car.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #25
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
Personally I wish you would all just switch to Prius Hybrids
it dosn't really make sense to buy a Prius Hybrid(20k-25k) if your concerned buy a Yaris(11k-13k) it would take driving about 600k miles in the Prius Hybrid to even out the price