Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
New PCM Programming

I have been chasing an electronic gremlin in my car for months...everytime it sets the CEL I get a different code (Fan Relay, 5 volt circuit, TB Position, Crankshaft Position) and I've already tried replacing the TB, the Crankshaft Position sensor and the Gas pedal. With the recent problems of it setting the CEL with no accompanying codes, and then continuing to run like crap even after resetting the PCM until I shut off the engine for 2-3 minutes, I began to suspect the PCM is failing.

I contacted my tuner and asked about reflashing a new PCM that has my VIN loaded to it. He says he has to start over with the tuning and wants to charge me full price to retune the car....says he can't load the previous tune because it is tied to the old PCM and won't work in the new one...

Does that sound right? If the new PCM is programmed with my VIN, shouldn't the old tune (HPTuner) be able to load?
SLP TVS2300 Supercharger; 3.6" Pulley; CAI Intake; 72# Injectors; ZL1 Fuel Pump; ADM Fuel Pressure Regulator; BBK Full-Length Headers; Cat Delete; Dynomax Cat-Back Exhaust; Eibach Pro-Kit suspension;ZL1 Front Bumper; NightOwl Lighting; '14 Heat extractor hood mod; Seibon CF trunk; GM High Wing and side skirts; Technostalgia Taillights; Pioneer Navigation; Infinity Subs and Amps; Scosche Double-DIN kit; CF cabin overlays; Z28 replica wheels; Hurst Line-Lock;
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiiidoc View Post
I have been chasing an electronic gremlin in my car for months...everytime it sets the CEL I get a different code (Fan Relay, 5 volt circuit, TB Position, Crankshaft Position) and I've already tried replacing the TB, the Crankshaft Position sensor and the Gas pedal. With the recent problems of it setting the CEL with no accompanying codes, and then continuing to run like crap even after resetting the PCM until I shut off the engine for 2-3 minutes, I began to suspect the PCM is failing.

I contacted my tuner and asked about reflashing a new PCM that has my VIN loaded to it. He says he has to start over with the tuning and wants to charge me full price to retune the car....says he can't load the previous tune because it is tied to the old PCM and won't work in the new one...

Does that sound right? If the new PCM is programmed with my VIN, shouldn't the old tune (HPTuner) be able to load?
It sounds like you have some grounding issues more than a bad PCM, I suggest checking all electrical connections from the battery to the engine and any harness grounds at the engine and body.

Aftermarket electronics if not installed properly can wreak havoc.

To answer your quesiton, the dealer would have to install and program the new PCM.

Your tuner can Read the new factory file, then open your current tune and copy over the differences then flash your new computer with the custom tune.

Total process should take no more than 20 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
New PCM would need to be licensed, but that just means he has to spend $100 to unlock it, not a full price tune. He then can copy whatever he had before and go from there. No reason for a full price tune to load your old tune into a new PCM, just the cost of credits and maybe 20 minutes of his time.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
Ted

I was planning on using this...

http://www.acrautos.com/2010-chevy-c...id=18283950120

I get the grounding issues...been chasing it but can't find any bad grounds.

Seems to occur in high heat and/or high humidity...did it briefly last fall then no issues all winter...started again as the temps climbed here in Central FL. Malfuntioning MAF sensor?

Can't deal with the dealer because of the supercharger...they will install a stock PCM then I'll have to have it towed to my tuner...

Unreal's explanation makes more sense...not sure why I'm spending another $500 to have my old tune put into the new PCM...
SLP TVS2300 Supercharger; 3.6" Pulley; CAI Intake; 72# Injectors; ZL1 Fuel Pump; ADM Fuel Pressure Regulator; BBK Full-Length Headers; Cat Delete; Dynomax Cat-Back Exhaust; Eibach Pro-Kit suspension;ZL1 Front Bumper; NightOwl Lighting; '14 Heat extractor hood mod; Seibon CF trunk; GM High Wing and side skirts; Technostalgia Taillights; Pioneer Navigation; Infinity Subs and Amps; Scosche Double-DIN kit; CF cabin overlays; Z28 replica wheels; Hurst Line-Lock;
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote