Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
diddiyo

Drives: .
Smile I'm planning a bay area Camaro-day-trip

Hi all

I will be in SF for a few days in November and I'm planning on renting a Camaro for a day. I'm not 100% sure about the route yet but maybe the locals here could give me a few ideas I will be picking up the car Friday around 9:00am in the morning and return it at 9:00 am the next day.

Here's what I have planned so far. (google maps, ignore the part1, part2 split for some reason it wouldn't let me do the thing in one line)

Roughly 300 miles total which should easily be doable I guess. I will be Starting at SFO, going north over the Golden Gate Bridge and make a stop, then via the Panoramic Hwy to US1 shoreline/coast HWY all the way up north to Elk/US128 with a few stops here and there to take a couple of pics, grab a bite to eat or just to enjoy the view. Then back home via the 101.

What do you guys think? Anything I should not miss along the way, or maybe take a different way home? I'm not in a hurry to get back since I only have to return the car the next day. But I figured by the time it gets dark I have the most scenic part behind me.

Looking forward to your ideas/comments

Last edited by diddiyo; 09-29-2009 at 10:27 AM.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
ChevyThunder

Drives: pinto
Your going in the direction of Infineon.. check and see if theree is a Wednesday grudge night and take that rental drag racing

Your also going in the direction of Muir Woods
ChevyThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Downwithopp

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Your trip looks pretty good, but unfortunately as far as like having things to look at its a little bit one sided. Driving up through Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa is a little bit boring.

It would make your trip a fair bit longer, but if you have the whole day planned around it you might as well go north from SFO, cross over the Golden Gate, head north up untill about Novato, drive right by Infineon and head up through Napa. Then you could either continue through Napa into Calistoga then back onto your track in Cloverdale, or from Napa shoot back over to Petaluma, putting you back on your track as well.

If you don't have the entire day for it, do your original plan, but the way I mentioned would be a bit longer but it would make both halfs of your drive a little more interesting then shooting up through Petaluma,Rohnert Park, and Santa Rosa.

Last edited by Downwithopp; 09-29-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Downwithopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwithopp View Post
Your trip looks pretty good, but unfortunately as far as like having things to look at its a little bit one sided. Driving up through Petaluma/Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa is a little bit boring.

It would make your trip a fair bit longer, but if you have the whole day planned around it you might as well go north from SFO, cross over the Golden Gate, head north up untill about Novato, drive right by Infineon and head up through Napa. Then you could either continue through Napa into Calistoga then back onto your track in Cloverdale, or from Napa shoot back over to Petaluma, putting you back on your track as well.

If you don't have the entire day for it, do your original plan, but the way I mentioned would be a bit longer but it would make both halfs of your drive a little more interesting then shooting up through Petaluma,Rohnert Park, and Santa Rosa.
This is true. Or heading south would be just as good if not better scenery. Head south from SFO and head down to santa cruz and follow it south to monterey, then back up along hwy 1, past the Cliffhouse restaurant and then over the GG bridge at about sundown and taking some cool pics at the vista points. Then either back across the bridge or down the east bay through oakland and the areas where DTM shot his commercial.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Downwithopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
This is true. Or heading south would be just as good if not better scenery. Head south from SFO and head down to santa cruz and follow it south to monterey, then back up along hwy 1, past the Cliffhouse restaurant and then over the GG bridge at about sundown and taking some cool pics at the vista points. Then either back across the bridge or down the east bay through oakland and the areas where DTM shot his commercial.
Yep, south is cool as well. If I remember right the Monterey Bay aquarium would be worth stopping at and seeing.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
diddiyo

Hey all, thanks a lot for all the comments!

Quote:
Just to be clear, I was planning on going north on US1/coast highway, then back south thru Santa Rosa etc., the coast highway looked like a great drive on google maps
Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Downwithopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Hey all, thanks a lot for all the comments!

Just to be clear, I was planning on going north on US1/coast highway, then back south thru Santa Rosa etc., the coast highway looked like a great drive on google maps
Oh, gotcha. Either way, personally I think going through Napa/Calistoga would always be a better drive then Santa Rosa.

Whatever floats your boat though . Have fun with it!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

This is going to be this friday?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
diddiyo

Quote:
Oh, gotcha. Either way, personally I think going through Napa/Calistoga would always be a better drive then Santa Rosa.
I appreciate the input and think about what I'm gonna do!

Quote:
This is going to be this friday?
no, i'll be in SF from 11/11 to 11/15 and would most likely get the car on 11/13
Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
jayson71

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro
Quote:
Mindz is a good tour guide. He took us from San Jose to Half Moon and back, AWESOME!
jayson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:23 AM   #11
67CamaroRS

Drives: 1967 Camaro, Red RS
Charles M. Schulz Museum

As you are coming back through Santa Rosa, Remember to stop in and visit the Charles M. Schulz Museum. A great Museum with interesting Cartoon displays of Peanuts Characters. I go there every time I drive through Santa Rosa.
67CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
diddiyo

Alright I have updated my route a little bit

Instead of going all the way up north to Elk and then head east to 101 & Santa Rosa I will head east at Stewart's Point, then take 128 thru Calistoga & Napa and finally thru Novato back to San Fran.

Sounds better?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #13
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

That's a pretty nice looking route. You're into the scenic cruising more so than corner carving, and this route is very nice.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Downwithopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Alright I have updated my route a little bit

Instead of going all the way up north to Elk and then head east to 101 & Santa Rosa I will head east at Stewart's Point, then take 128 thru Calistoga & Napa and finally thru Novato back to San Fran.

Sounds better?
Much better!

Sounds like a good trip!

Oh and theres this fruit stand on the way up to Napa, I totally forget where it is. If you see it, go in and buy basically anything. It's all really good!