Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
salsteeler

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RSS Black Stripes
I bought it!!! I finally got my camaro! Fun read on my purchase experience....

Alright - there is a nice long story along with this purchase (finally) but I wanted to post the good news, and a couple pics of the car... Wooohhooo!!!

Yah!

EDIT:

OK... so now that I have a few minutes to type, I wanted to share the story of how I ended up with the car.

As some of you may have noticed, and I have communicated directly with, I was absolutely torn on color. I saw just about every one in person, and towards the end, I was torn between ABM and IOM (I started out torn with black, white, ABM, IOM, RJT, so the fact that I narrowed it down to those two, was a very good thing). Like everyone else, I had different personal reasons on why I like certain colors better than others.

It wasn't just the color though. I was torn on tranny, stripes, interior, wheels, you name it. I spent over a month researching and concluding in my own head, what was the best package for me.

About 10 days ago, I decided one thing:

No sunroof. I didn't want one or need one. So that narrowed my search down.

After MUCH agonizing, I decided on something else. I really like ABM and IOM. So, I narrowed my search down to those two.

I think the fact that ABM was limited, attracted me to it. And, in person, it just looked amazing. So I started leaning that way. Plus, I thought, that being an almost 30 yr old Camaro driver, that I might get sick of driving an orange car. Nothing against IOM - I LOVE IT. But I was thinking long and short term, and this car is going to be my daily driver, my fun driver, and my quality time with my son driver!

So, as I started searching for ABM, I found it was VERY hard to find with the options I wanted. There were only 4 within 750 miles of me (new at dealers). While searching, I happened to be in San Diego on business. I saw a car with the two-tone Gray/Black interior as I call it, but Chevy just calls it gray. I fell in love. The pictures do not do it justice...

So, now I had some things decided in my head... I need to find an ABM with Gray interior and no sunroof. Stripes? Dunno. Tranny? Dunno.

After some more soul searching, I FINALLY decided, Auto was the way to go, considering the points made above. Although I love having fun in my car, I also enjoy a nice cup of coffee while driving, and didn't want it on my lap. So, I was about 60/40 in favor of auto. But what I told me wife - I will be happy with either. I will let the search for ABM with gray interior be the judge of the tranny.

Well, wouldn't you know I would find TWO within 500 miles of me. ABM, Gray interior, no sunroof.

Car 1: No stripes, polished wheels.
Car 2: Black stripes, painted wheels.

So, which to go with....?????

This is where it gets interesting. I liked both wheels, for different reasons, so again, I wasn't torn about the wheels. The stripes and cost would be the ultimate decision factor.

I first called Lamb Chevrolet (car 2). They said - here is your price, car is perfect, ready to go. Come and get it.

I then called Gateway Chevrolet (car 1). They said - whatever Lamb told you, we can beat. I said "yours doesn't have stripes, theirs does" Then they said "we can add stripes, and they will look as good as factory" So - we started talking more.....

Obviously the one at Gateway was a "little" more money, because of the polished wheels and adding the stripes. But, minus the cost of the stripes, they had the "better" deal.

Fate seemed to intervene here. I saw the white stripes, and wasn't impressed. I saw the Silver stripes in person and thought "they are nice." However, I never saw the black on ABM stripes in person, so I was a bit worried to work a deal and drive 500 miles for a car that I wasn't sure I was going to like. But I "knew" I liked Silver, right? Well, my heart was saying - "go black!!! Go black!!!!!!!" I wanted the black stripes. But, being conservative, worried, whatever, and gravitating toward the better deal (only a couple hundred bucks) I decided.....

I am going with Car 1. I called Gateway, told them to add Silver Stripes and they have a deal (this was Wednesday). I emphasized OVER AND OVER again, that I am driving 370 miles, and I needed everything to be perfect, because I didn't have the luxory of otherwise.

On Friday night, me, my pregnant wife, and 3 yr old son jumped in the car and drove to Avondale AZ. 7 hours later (trip takes much longer with a preggo and a kid) we made it to the hotel.

Next morning, I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. We drive up to the lot, I see the car from the distance, and I about wet my pants. I get out of the car, I walk up, and devestation sunk in.

THE STRIPES LOOKED LIKE MY 3 YEAR OLD INSTALLED THEM. They were crooked, creased, wrinkled, bubbled, looked like absolute crap. The salesman could tell I was devastated. I was so upset, I couldn't even speak. I said "how could you let this happen? Did anyone even LOOK at this thing after the decals were installed?" I was pissed. I turn the corner of the car, look at the door, and see a door ding. WHAT!?!?!??! Are you kidding me!?!? I did all this for crappy stripes and a door ding?!!? I couldn't contain my frustration. I very politely told the salesman - I have to go get lunch to cool off....

2 minutes later, in the car, he calls and says "my manager said we will make it right, we can have someone drive to L.A. to fix the stripes and the door ding."

I told him I would think about it. After about 3 minutes, I called back and said "listen, I appreciate you "trying" to make it right. But I am not willing to drive off the lot with my new car, unless it's perfect. What if you can't make it right? Then I am stuck with a huge disappointment..."

I was so bummed. I didn't want this car anymore. I couldn't believe they would let this happen. My wife and I were pretty much planning on heading back home, where I was going to continue the hunt. The salesman called back, urging me to consider, and that they would knock another few hundred off the car.

At this point, I thought - Hey, wait a minute - 100 miles north of here (in Prescott, AZ) is Lamb Chevrolet - they have the other car with Black stripes..... I'm already this close, might as well go take a look................................

And we did. And I fell in love. The black stripes looked amazing, the wheels were the perfect contrast with the car, and it was in PERFECT shape. And me, my wife, my son and my Camaro lived happily ever after.............................. At this point, looking back two hours, I was so happy. THIS was the car I was meant to drive.... And I love it.

So thats the story of how me any my new Camaro were united! ;-)

AND the BEST part... My son named the car: "Blue Bumblebee"
Attached Images

Last edited by salsteeler; 03-08-2010 at 04:48 PM.
salsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Grats!
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
salsteeler

Thanks! I'll post a short narrative of how I got it soon ;-)
Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
Congrats.

Now go out and have some fun tomorrow!

Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
salsteeler

I had plenty of fun tonight! Drove it 400 miles right off the dealer floor!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
ABM, good choice!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Congratz bro. You probably got one of the last ABM's in the country.

P.S.

You should tell 'em to take that frickin sticker off the back.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Congratulations! Nice choice on colour/stripes. You're going to absolutely LOVE your Camaro, as I think you've already found out!

Awesome!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up That blue is nice

Congrats

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
tjmac49

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, IBM, L99
salsteeler: Congrats and Enjoy!!!
tjmac49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
mmongi7

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Send a message via AIM to mmongi7
Welcome to the fam. Automatic with black and gray interior? Why? Not a fan. But hey it's your car.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #12
1badSS/RS

Drives: Rally Yellow Transformers pkg
Very nice. Congrats.
1badSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
congrats!!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #14
Barefooter