Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
For All You Future V-6 Owners

I'm sure many on this site have a subscription to Road & Track magazine on this website. Well in the Novemeber issue they did an article titles Bling Quartet. Basically they tested tuners examples of production cars. One of the cars that caught my eye was the new CTS tunered by a company called D3. They modified things like the suspension, brakes, and aerodynamics. But what caught my eye was the modified 3.6L Modified Direct Injection V-6 under the hood! Here's the quote:

"Under the hood, D3 kept changes minimal. There's a custom intake system with a heat shield and a Corsa exhaust that not only improves flow, but gives the car a menacing roar during acceleration. The D3 CTS's 3.6-liter VVT DI (Direct Injection) V-6 produces 340 bhp at 6600 rpm and 292 lb.-ft. of torque at 4380. This allows the transformed car to get to 60 mph in 6.1 sec. and to the quarter mile in 14.5. (The company is working on a supercharged model)"

Those are some impressive numbers considering not too much was done. I think it'll be hilarious seeing modded Camaro V-6's walking on Mustang GT's! Here's a link to the article:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7075
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
I dunno, lack of torque and weight difference, I still see the GT winning. I guess it does make it more of a driver's race though.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
i thought the GT 0-60 was 5.4 seconds? is that true?
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
thejbyrd

Drives: My wife nuts with my obsession
Quote:
Originally Posted by DET MUSL View Post
I'm sure many on this site have a subscription to Road & Track magazine on this website. Well in the Novemeber issue they did an article titles Bling Quartet. Basically they tested tuners examples of production cars. One of the cars that caught my eye was the new CTS tunered by a company called D3. They modified things like the suspension, brakes, and aerodynamics. But what caught my eye was the modified 3.6L Modified Direct Injection V-6 under the hood! Here's the quote:

"Under the hood, D3 kept changes minimal. There's a custom intake system with a heat shield and a Corsa exhaust that not only improves flow, but gives the car a menacing roar during acceleration. The D3 CTS's 3.6-liter VVT DI (Direct Injection) V-6 produces 340 bhp at 6600 rpm and 292 lb.-ft. of torque at 4380. This allows the transformed car to get to 60 mph in 6.1 sec. and to the quarter mile in 14.5. (The company is working on a supercharged model)"

Those are some impressive numbers considering not too much was done. I think it'll be hilarious seeing modded Camaro V-6's walking on Mustang GT's! Here's a link to the article:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7075
I thought it already went 0-60 in 6.1sec stock.
thejbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
isnt t the camaro that is 0-60 in 6.1, not sue on the caddy though
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
They said it will be at least 6.1 stock, but they are hoping to drop that to 5.9 stock.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
i thought the GT 0-60 was 5.4 seconds? is that true?
Not that it matters too much, but in tests against the GTO (my car) the GT could do 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. That's with the 5-speed manual.

I still think the Camaro would lose.

I saw that article too, and while it's impressive that they got it to 340 hp and most importantly 292 lbft of torque, I still doubt it's enough to beat the GT.

The V6 Camaro weighs too much and is geared too tall.

I don't see why V6 guys insist on believing the car will beat the GT.

Not to mention that company probably did quite a bit of tuning which would cost you $$..
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
A lightly modded manual 5th gen. V6 up against an automatic GT would be an interesting race.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r

Drives: 1991 Caprice
That's awesome. I was hoping somebody would come up with a way to mod the V6 of the camaro.
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
holy crap...I took a link to another page, check this out:

Quote:
Another D3 strong suit is its new supercharger for Cadillac's already-excellent direct-injected 3.6-liter V-6 engine. Developed in-house, this blower is very compact (fits with room to spare under the standard hood). Even though it is lightly boosted (running at about only 4.5 psi of boost), the engine is still very efficient, producing in excess of 400 horsepower.
100 + hp on 4.5 psi?!? Jeez!
I think whoever first said this little engine has some potential was understating the situation!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r

Drives: 1991 Caprice
I agree with you. You can get a lot of power out of those engines!! I can't wait!
Th3Nigh7Stalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

I think whoever first said this little engine has some potential was understating the situation!
Holy crap! I guess this answers the other thread about modding out the engine after the warranty expires! Good find, Dragon!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:

Wanna know why? Two words, compression ratio.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
one thing to keep in mind is that the peak hp of 340 is at 6600 rpms. i imagine that the GT would be able to hold its own or vice versa.

Quote:

a few of us said this motor had potential....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Wanna know why? Two words, compression ratio.
no.... two words.... DIRECT INJECTION

the cr is nearly too high for a serious amount of boost with normal fuel injection, but the fact that the v-6 is DI, the fuel doesnt have a chance to detonate in the high cr as its entering directly into the combustion chamber precisely when it needs to.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote