Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #29
Georgianne

Drives: chevys
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ok...well now I'm lost. left, right....need to go back to specs page....
CAN YOU DRAW ME A PICTURE? I'm not getting it!
Georgianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #30
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
I know this is stating the obvious but---> If reverse gear is synchronized, it won't want to go into reverse while you are moving at 50mph. if someone even tried it, what would happen is while the lever is trying to go in reverse, the synchro would have to bring the clutch disk to a compete halt and then start rotating the input shaft (with the clutch disk) the opposite rotation of the engine and spin it like 6000 rpms. this isn't going to happen. but if u did force it you could wear down the reverse sychro very fast by trying to force it. if reverse isn't synchronized, you would hear a mechanical sound-effect if you even try to slide it into reverse while the back tires are spinning. And yes, there is probably a mechanical lock-out to make sure you don't even have a chance to go into reverse.

I WONDER if the 5th gen Camaro will STILL have that solenoid switch that forces you to shift from 1st to 3rd gear if you are driving slow.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #31
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^It's 1st to 4th and if it's in there and you don't want it, I'm sure someone will make a bypass for it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #32
scotchsride09
It's STARSCREAM!!!

Drives: 2003 Nissan Frontier S/C DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
I know this is stating the obvious but---> If reverse gear is synchronized, it won't want to go into reverse while you are moving at 50mph. if someone even tried it, what would happen is while the lever is trying to go in reverse, the synchro would have to bring the clutch disk to a compete halt and then start rotating the input shaft (with the clutch disk) the opposite rotation of the engine and spin it like 6000 rpms. this isn't going to happen. but if u did force it you could wear down the reverse sychro very fast by trying to force it. if reverse isn't synchronized, you would hear a mechanical sound-effect if you even try to slide it into reverse while the back tires are spinning. And yes, there is probably a mechanical lock-out to make sure you don't even have a chance to go into reverse.
I would also agree with this explanation... the synchros in the gearbox have to spin the other way to shift into reverse so it wouldn't really be mechanically feasible at high speed

Right now it's an '03 Nissan Frontier Supercharged Desert Runner I call Starscream.

On order is a 1SS/ RS IBM with Black Rally Stripes, Beige Interior, manual transmission and a sunroof! Oh, and a stereo upgrade too! Ordered from CamaroScotty in WI. How will I get my baby home?
scotchsride09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #33
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^It's 1st to 4th and if it's in there and you don't want it, I'm sure someone will make a bypass for it.
Just stumbled across this old thread. Funny how we speculated things back then.

Doug, you're a prophet!

Actually I think we knew a lot about the car at this point. I don't spend much time on Camaro6 but guess the same thing is happening there.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #34
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
You must've been stumbling long and deep, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #35
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Dang I was getting mad reading this thinking the Gen6 reverse changed then I looked at the date
Old 08-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #36
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
It is on the right next to 5th gear.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #37
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
reverse is on the left on my old school muncie,,thought only imports had it on the right lol...
Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #38
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
reverse is on the left on my old school muncie,,thought only imports had it on the right lol...
Our Camaro's are imports...........
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #39
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
Our Camaro's are imports...........
just by a little bit, i was talking about the ones that have 4 different color body panels and front end held on with tie straps, low to the ground and sound like they are setting the street on fire
Old 08-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #40
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
just by a little bit, i was talking about the ones that have 4 different color body panels and front end held on with tie straps, low to the ground and sound like they are setting the street on fire
Ohhh your talking about the ZL1's?
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #41
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Just to give you a bit of a heads-up... that reverse lockout solenoid does have the potential to go south on you. Ask me how I know...
It's actually not that terrible an experience - especially if you have a high tolerance for listening to grinding sounds!

As for reverse being on the left, when I drove the manual V6 car at Milford in May, I actually did put it into reverse by accident (I hadn't looked at the shift pattern) when I wanted to launch the car. Good thing it was a very soft launch... and nobody was behind me!

Best regardSS,

Elie
I almost gave myself and a guy at work a heart attack when I accidentally put it in Rev. when the traffic light turned green . I had only owned my Camaro about a month at the time.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #42
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
i bet if it is on the left it has the lockout where you have to push the stick down and over to access reverse.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote