Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
#788 Meets An Unfortunate End...

Morning,

After just about 30 years of track in all sorts of cars, that "not if, but when" moment arrived for me and #788. She's been declared a total loss and I am sure will be showing up on one of the salvage sights within a few weeks. Not sure if you guys would have an interest, but let me know and I can report back on where it'll be going as I will have an opportunity to buy it back (which I won't) and should learn where it's headed. This was an amazing track partner and I knew better that shaded turns late in the day in November in the Northeast creates a bad mix when you have all of the nannies turned off. I guess pride really does go before the fall.

At any rate -- I'll be liquidating a few things... wheels (2 sets in awesome shape that may or may not already be spoken for) and a set of CCB rotors I swapped for the GiroDiscs I used. The rotors have some wear, no doubt, but for a car that will only be used on the street they will last a long, long time. I will also have a really nice after market gurney flap made by Kurt at Aero Sport Concepts. (adjustable and includes hardware)

I'll be working on getting photographs and an ad thread together in the next few days, but if interested blast me a PM to chat.

Final note: You guys have been great and so helpful. You all helped tremendously when I was searching for the beast and this forum is directly responsible for pointing me to the car I purchased... directly responsible for hacks to get things done.. I just want to say thank you and well done, men. My time with #788 was short, but man -- what a machine.

We'll see if I come back to a Z/28... not sure at the moment. I have been a "been there, done that" guy my entire life so I will most likely be exploring some other machines that have captivated my imagination. Life is short and there are a lot of great cars!

Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
CAMARO_HEAVEN
Big John

Drives: Wife 2013 Camaro 2SSRS / ME?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
Morning,

After just about 30 years of track in all sorts of cars, that "not if, but when" moment arrived for me and #788. She's been declared a total loss and I am sure will be showing up on one of the salvage sights within a few weeks. Not sure if you guys would have an interest, but let me know and I can report back on where it'll be going as I will have an opportunity to buy it back (which I won't) and should learn where it's headed. This was an amazing track partner and I knew better that shaded turns late in the day in November in the Northeast creates a bad mix when you have all of the nannies turned off. I guess pride really does go before the fall.

At any rate -- I'll be liquidating a few things... wheels (2 sets in awesome shape that may or may not already be spoken for) and a set of CCB rotors I swapped for the GiroDiscs I used. The rotors have some wear, no doubt, but for a car that will only be used on the street they will last a long, long time. I will also have a really nice after market gurney flap made by Kurt at Aero Sport Concepts. (adjustable and includes hardware)

I'll be working on getting photographs and an ad thread together in the next few days, but if interested blast me a PM to chat.

Final note: You guys have been great and so helpful. You all helped tremendously when I was searching for the beast and this forum is directly responsible for pointing me to the car I purchased... directly responsible for hacks to get things done.. I just want to say thank you and well done, men. My time with #788 was short, but man -- what a machine.

We'll see if I come back to a Z/28... not sure at the moment. I have been a "been there, done that" guy my entire life so I will most likely be exploring some other machines that have captivated my imagination. Life is short and there are a lot of great cars!

Sorry for the loss of your fine machine.
No doubt you will come up with another great toy to play with.
Take care and most of all glad you are ok.
CAMARO_HEAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
_Chigga

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #225 Red
Sorry to hear that she is going away. Hope we see you back in another one soon enough!
_Chigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Sad to hear about the destruction of another wonderful machine. Hope you're doing okay physically and emotionally. I've enjoyed your posts and information in the short time I've been participating in this forum. Even if you're not piloting a Fifth Gen I hope you'll continue to monitor these pages and offer your analysis when the situation warrants.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Bummer for you and for #788! Glad you are ok and have got everything worked out so you can move on. I look forward to hearing what direction you decide to go next - be sure and come back and share with us your next experience and how it compares to the Z.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Hope your doing good. That’s all that matters. It might be a great segway into a Porsche again.
Happy trails and if you ever need anything the forum family is always here.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
craZed

Drives: Z/28 15 AGM
Hopefully, pride is all you hurt. Very sorry to hear that it's totaled, but it could turn into a Real racecar now. Good luck with the spares, take-offs. I'm sure there will be many interested parties.

And best of luck with the next ride! If losing 788 was too much, I'm sure we can help you find a replacement.
craZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #8
Hooks112

Drives: '15 Z/28 #698(A/C,AW) & other stuff
A bummer for sure, sorry about your loss of a fine machine. However...

I'm certain I'm not alone in wanting to hear (perhaps see) a few more particulars of the painful event if you don't mind sharing. As a fellow track rat, I feel your misery.

What track, turn? Conditions, familiarity, etc... Any useful lessons from the event, besides nannies in the autumn?

How did insurance work out?

Thanks and condolences.
Hooks112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
PM’d.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:14 PM   #10
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Glad to hear you’re ok ... these toys are replaceable! Let us know what you decide to go with next.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:35 PM   #11
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
I PMed as well...
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:01 AM   #12
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Hi Guys,

I am keeping track of any PMs and the order they come in. I still have to take a few pictures.

As I stated in my original post -- the wheels are already spoken for and I expect a deposit. Obviously, if something changes there I'll let everyone know.

I'm stupid busy with work and need to catch up.

I want to thank you all for the well wishes. I walked without a scratch. Air Bags didn't even deploy, but the damage tire walls can inflict in amazing. The car suffered bent and twist frame and rear partition. Early repair estimate to make like new exceeds the value of the BEFORE the shunt. Today's modern cars (without stiffening w/cages) really give themselves up for their occupants. NHTSA mandates have really made a huge difference. To me, it points out there are only two options for track... 1.) Complete race car set up with full cage, harnesses, back braces, Hans, fire systems, etc... or 2.) 100% bone stock as manufacturer intended. In that case the car will work 100% on protecting the driver without a care about saving the car.

I've seen so many "half baked" safety set ups... harnesses without a Hans and airbags turned off... roll cage without all other systems that will prevent the car from collapsing as intended by the manufacture... Just my HO.

Anyway -- sorry to rant. Thanks again and I'll be return the PMs.

- BierGut
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #13
Z28WANNAB

Drives: 2014 Z28 CTF AGM
Glad you are ok and love the explanation of "safe"! Best of luck in the future!
2014 Z28 CTF AGM #99066
69 Z11 Convertable 4 spd - now has 496 w 6 spd, other minor suspension upgrades Owned since '78
Formerly owned 2013 ZL1, miss it
2000 XKR
Z28WANNAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #14
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Sorry to hear about your Z. Glad you're alive and well. Hope you get back and find a awesome car again soon.
2016 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

Past Cars:
1976 Chevy Malibu Classic 5.7L
1985 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Blazer 5.7L
1989 Chevy IROC-Z 5.7L
1995 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Tahoe 5.7L
2005 Chevy 4DR Tahoe 5.3L
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote