Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Thumbs down So why are you pulling me over now CHP? Argh!

So, I'm driving down a small 2-way street in my neighborhood this morning (25 mph with speed bumps), and a CHP motorcycle officer passes me going the opposite direction. I think nothing of it since I wasn’t doing anything wrong/illegal. I see him flip on his lights and pull a U-turn, so I pull over, lower the windows, open the sunroof shade, take off my gloves, turn off the car and keep my hands on the steering wheel. He walks up and asks if I have tint on the front windows, to which I say yes, and tells me it’s illegal in CA - he reads me the law details etc etc on tinting blah blah blah... So, I get another fix-it ticket, have to remove the tint on the front 2 windows, get it verified by a police officer and pay $25! ARGH!!

CA is desperate for money and this guy had NOTHING better to do!!

I left the lights on, as I usually do, since he could have also seen the tint on the rear lights, headlights, as well as illegal side marker lights. I guess those are my next fix-it tickets!

Sucks...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Sorry to hear that man. Try getting a doctors note for the tint. That's what I did 35% all around.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Sounds like a good idea!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
I know a few people that have gotten tint tickets. When they went to CHP, the officer just took the money and never actually went out to the car to verify the correction.

A g8 buddy of mine actually got a fix-it for a non CARB compliant air intake (why he popped his hood IDK, but he did) and the silly copper didnt notice the Catless LTs (which is actually a jail-able felony offence now from what I understand). He also ticketed him for front tint and no front plate.
He put on a stock intake, reattached his plate & pulled his tint... AND then he was MAD that they didn't even look at the car.
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Michael. Are you going to put on legal tint after the fix-it is done or going back to something that's actually effective in the SoCal heat like you have now?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
That suck Michael. In Riverside, first fix it ticket is now $50.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
First thing is what is your percentage on your tint? Second and off topic you drive with gloves on? If the tint was.illegal he was just doing his duty. Could he of looked the other way sure. Its all on his discreation but don't knock him for doing a duty. Im sure he didn't just single you out. Did he use a tint meter on your tint?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I didn't think Cali had a "Legal Tint" as far as the front windows go. You can tint the rear windows as dark as you want but you can not have "any" tint on the front windows at all. Did that change recently?

I was once given a ticket for tinted windows here in CA even though I held an AZ license and the car was out of state. I told the police officer that in my state it is legal to have tinted windows and he said I was not in my state, lol.

I told him to go to Blithe and ticket all AZ drivers for tint and no front plate then.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
They warned me for front plates on my truck (ugly ugly). On the Camaro, after one year I still have the dealer plates on the rear.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
jdenotter

Federal law says tint can not be less than 32%. A state, say in this case california can add to the law by coming up with a state law. For example in NC we use the federal law as a state law. Its illegal to have a passenger vehicle such as a sedan or coupe car with a tint level below 32%. A SUV/Truck can have any window behind the driver seat as dark as they want. On all vehicles the window tint has to be 32% and can not go below the AS1 line. Its all depends in each state and what they have added to the law. But like I said federal regulation say no less than 32%

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
Federal law says tint can not be less than 32%. A state, say in this case california can add to the law by coming up with a state law. For example in NC we use the federal law as a state law. Its illegal to have a passenger vehicle such as a sedan or coupe car with a tint level below 32%. A SUV/Truck can have any window behind the driver seat as dark as they want. On all vehicles the window tint has to be 32% and can not go below the AS1 line. Its all depends in each state and what they have added to the law. But like I said federal regulation say no less than 32%
Having said that, CA added that ANY tint on the front windows is illegal. You can tint the rears as dark as you want though (according to a cop friend).

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
california is definitely a place i will never go.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
jdenotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
Having said that, CA added that ANY tint on the front windows is illegal. You can tint the rears as dark as you want though (according to a cop friend).
Heres a link to CA tint law
http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/tint_ca.html

Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
I keep asking myself why I still live here..... Add another to the CONS column...