Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Silverwing

Drives: Yellow 2018 SS
Can you clay a ceramic coated car?

I've been seeing a lot of mixed opinions about this. Some say no, you can't clay a ceramic coated car, it will just gouge the ceramic/paint.
And others say it will be fine.

From how I understand claying works there should be no issue claying a ceramic coated car but I'm no expert.

What's your guys opinion?
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:23 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The Museum Rule: The less you touch a thing, the longer it lasts.

Clay is abrasive. You're likely to do more harm than good.

I'm sure there will be plenty more opinions to the contrary, but if the ceramic has good hydrophobic properties and was properly applied to a well-corrected & polished car you shouldn't need to clay it ever (until you plan to remove/replace it), IMO.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I wouldn't...usually I clay before polishing, then apply my sealant. You normally shouldn't need to clay if it was done before the coating.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
If you need to clay a ceramic coating then you probably did it wrong. I'm not sure clay is going to remove ceramic coating, you probably need to machine polish and reapply the coating.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Yes, ceramic coatings are still porous like your clear coat and can pick up environmental contaminants. Yes, you can use IronX and the like on your coatings (in fact it was designed to work with it) and YES you can do mechanical decontamination on them as well.

It has about the same impact as doing so on a clear coat, so you'll likely need to polish after to remove the marring and then reapply the coating but there isn't any issue with claying a ceramic coating.

You might ask yourself why, however; as there is likely a product that can help out here without going all the way to clay.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Silverwing

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm glad you mentioned ironX (I have the adams version but same thing right?) because that's what I'm leaning to.

My car keeps getting some iron contamination, I know because when I try and "no-touch" clean the car I get these little embedded flakes that are very difficult to remove. I figured at the time they were iron so I used some of adams ironx and they dissolved.

I guess my question becomes, is it okay to use ironx on a ceramic coated car every other wash?

And does anybody have a easy method for taking care of light water spots on a ceramic coat? I get these water spots that are difficult to see unless the sun is hitting it just right.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Try carpro essence plus polish before resorting to clay, its made to clean up a coating before reapplying the top coat of reload or whatever you're using.

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-essence-plus-250.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Silverwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Try carpro essence plus polish before resorting to clay, its made to clean up a coating before reapplying the top coat of reload or whatever you're using.

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-essence-plus-250.html
Is this product similar to ceramic boost by Adams?
I'm asking because I already have the ceramic boost spray, if it's similar I'd rather go through the bottle I already have, however if it's different then I'll get the Carpro Essence plus.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm glad you mentioned ironX (I have the adams version but same thing right?) because that's what I'm leaning to.

My car keeps getting some iron contamination, I know because when I try and "no-touch" clean the car I get these little embedded flakes that are very difficult to remove. I figured at the time they were iron so I used some of adams ironx and they dissolved.

I guess my question becomes, is it okay to use ironx on a ceramic coated car every other wash?

And does anybody have a easy method for taking care of light water spots on a ceramic coat? I get these water spots that are difficult to see unless the sun is hitting it just right.
Carpro Spotless works well for water spots, safe for sealants and coatings.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #10
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Yes you can clay a coating. Coatings are tough. Use a light clay and lots of lube. There is clay out now being marketed as for ceramic coated vehicles.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote