Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Packers1

Drives: 2015 2SS L99
Pedal Commander

Pedal Commander Throttle Response Controller Just read about this brand of throttle response controller. I had a Vitesse on my 2011. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product. Thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
I don't get it.... why bother with these little devices?

Cant a tune take care of this?
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
I don't get it.... why bother with these little devices?

Cant a tune take care of this?
Yes... but "these little devices" are quite a bit less expensive that a custom tune. I had a Vitessee for a while and was pretty happy with it. Then I slapped on some LT headers and a SCT tune and sold the Vitessee. LTs and tune is the way to go if you've got $500 or so to spend - especially if you have a L99. No more 4 cylinder mode either!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packers1 View Post
Pedal Commander Throttle Response Controller Just read about this brand of throttle response controller. I had a Vitesse on my 2011. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product. Thanks
Oh. Sorry OP... I am not familiar with Pedal Commander. Go with headers and a custom tune and be done with it, if it's in your budget. You will love it!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I have a DynoSteve tune and a Vitesse TC.

The tune is fantastic, but the effect from the Vitesse can't be replicated via tune...not to that degree at least. Also, keep in mind these TC's are adjustable, usually with 10 stages on the performance setting and 7/8 stages on the ECO setting. That said, most people will find a setting that they are comfortable with and leave it set.

A lot of people say that once they got a ported throttle body, especially a Bo White unit, that they didn't need their TC anymore. There are also some people that are using both a PTB and a TC and swear by the combination. But they don't always play nice together.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I have a DynoSteve tune and a Vitesse TC.

The tune is fantastic, but the effect from the Vitesse can't be replicated via tune...not to that degree at least. Also, keep in mind these TC's are adjustable, usually with 10 stages on the performance setting and 7/8 stages on the ECO setting. That said, most people will find a setting that they are comfortable with and leave it set.

A lot of people say that once they got a ported throttle body, especially a Bo White unit, that they didn't need their TC anymore. There are also some people that are using both a PTB and a TC and swear by the combination. But they don't always play nice together.
I agree! i have a PTB, VTC, and a DynoSteve tune! The level of throttle response cannot be achieved with just a tune. I was planning to get rid of the VTC after a tune but when I tried it with VTC set to zero I immediately decided to keep it. The ECO setting could be useful if I ever decide to let my son drive my car....wont happen anytime soon he only has a learners permit!
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:03 PM   #7
Jesster70

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3
Pedal Commander--1st test drive

Maybe GM figured out the performance/drivabilty ratio and set the throttle response accordingly. But this thing gives you options.

After much debate (throttle control vs tune),I finally ordered the Pedal Commander PC-64 for my stock 2SS M6.

Today I received it while in the midst of home improvement and immediately had to stop, install, and go for a drive.

Well....I have to say... this thing is the Real Deal (so far). Leaving my house and driving through my subdivision I initially set it on "City +2" and could tell a difference right away. Throttle was a bit more crisp and responsive. So, of course before I pulled onto the state road, I changed it to "Sport +1" and got on it....

It launched quick, and I grabbed 2nd with an authority and tire yelp I hadn't experienced in 2yrs of driving this car. So....before the next stop sign, (about 1/2 mile) I kicked it up to "sport +3". Immediate difference taking off...It was so responsive I over-revved when letting out the clutch like a 16 yr old learning to drive.

Of course I ran up the settings and drove around for 1/2hr or so, and I have to say this:

I downshifted into 3rd and nailed it at 60mph and the traction control/stabilitrack alert came on and stayed on until I let off (85mph). I wonder what would have happened if it was turned off....

I tried to take off slowly in town whist in "sport +3" and got an embarrassing jerky start...too much throttle response/too little rpm I reckon.

Overall:

This thing really, really works. BUT... it made me a novice manual driver again at higher settings....need to learn rev matching/smooth shifting for my car all over..OR how to switch modes when in stop and go. It comes with mounting tape and Velcro to mount in a convenient place.

I think its really targeted to L99 (A/T) owners. I'd give it 5 stars if I had and A/T.....
Jesster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
You nailed it. These devices are a great compliment to an auto equipped car.

You have to re-learn how to drive with a TC turned up on the higher settings.

I have scared the crap out of a few tire techs who jumped in my car to pull into the garage when I forgot to turn the settings down. The one guy almost drove through the building.

If I wear my heavy boots, it can be a real pain in the ass to drive because I cannot feel the pedal. It is so sensitive (I drive on SP9, the Vitesse's highest setting), it actually looks like someone who is learning very poorly to drive a manual. But that is a rarity and only when not wearing light sneakers. You hit the gas and the car launches, pulling your foot off the pedal, but then you try and give it gas again to even it out, and it repeats, over and over until you totally stop giving throttle.

That jerking is from the sudden acceleration and then your foot re-mashing the pedal after you have let off the gas. If not careful, you can get stuck in a 'loop', for lack of better words. When that happens, just totally remove foot from pedal for a second or two. Remember...it's not the car, its you! YOU have to adjust and/or turn down the settings. It took me a few months to be able to drive problem free on SP9. But now the response it absolute bliss.

If it makes you feel any better, you WILL get used to the behavior and your right foot will get very sensitive to the pedal. So the crazy lunging will eventually get under control and go away. Just start on a lower setting if you can't seem to get a handle on it.

I love the 'Neurotic' feeling it gives my car. Kinda like its hyped up on caffeine or the yayo and all strung out.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 10-24-2018 at 12:15 AM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:17 AM   #9
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
I have only heard good things about the pedal commander and that it doesn’t avoid a cars warranty which is pretty cool. I had the Vitesse Motorsports throttle controller on my 2010 ss a couple years ago and had nothing but problems with it. So, I returned it and got my money back. Never had the pedal commander, but I’m thinking of getting one for my 2013 2.7L single cab Tacoma to help it accelerate a little better cus it’s so slow lol
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
mikey522

Drives: 2018 camaro ss1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packers1 View Post
i have a 2018 camaro ss1..just installed pedal commander and its awesome!
mikey522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Does it "go to eleven"?

Or can you achieve the same with a heavier foot?

Serious question.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Maybe GM figured out the performance/drivabilty ratio and set the throttle response accordingly. But this thing gives you options.
I think GM was focused on hitting certain fuel economy numbers at the expense of drivability honestly. I have a Vitesse TC and have noticed a slight decrease in my fuel economy but a major increase in drivability and responsiveness. Worth it to me.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #13
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Does it "go to eleven"?

Or can you achieve the same with a heavier foot?

Serious question.
I had a similar question before I bought my Vitesse and the consensus was that it changes the mapping of the response such that, no, you can’t achieve the same effect with just a heavier foot. After installing, I agree. The stock throttle always felt laggy to me and you really had to get into it to get the auto trans to downshift. And only after a delay - like the car took a few seconds to figure out “oh, you’re serious about this”.

With the throttle controller, the car downshifts much more quickly with less throttle response, so it feels more connected. The delay is gone. I drive on one of the middle settings (SP4). On the highest setting (SP9), the downshifts were too frequent for me at least. But that is a nice feature - you can adjust the response to your liking. Note these were for the Vitesse, it sounds like the Pedal Commander uses different settings to accomplish the same.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #14
Chromeplated500

Drives: 2011 SS
So what's the consensus on getting one for an SS M6? Does it hurt the driveability?
Chromeplated500 is offline   Reply With Quote