Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
woolfman72

Drives: Black 1LT RS
Heat not working and vents wont change position

so aggravated, After i left a meet yesterday . My son insisted on riding home with the windows down and i was a bit chilly . So i go to turn on the heat and once again my car will not switch the position of the vents (stuck in floor and normal) and will not give me any heat. I pulled over messed with it for about 5 mins and nothing would fix it (even pounding on the dash in anger!) . So i give up drive home. About 30 mins after getting home i go back out there just to test it again and its working fine. This is the second time this has happened(with the heat).

Durning the summer one morning trying to defrost my windshield and i discovered the issue.
The first time I drove it to the dealership. I never turned the car off or anything . Had the service adviser come out and witness the issue . Turned the car off . They wrote up the paperwork had a guy from rental place come get me and just as we were leaving. The service guy drove back up in my car and said its working fine now. They kept the car for the day and basically said they could not figure out anything wrong with it.

I had another time where I wasnt trying to use the heat . But the vents were stuck in defrost. I drove it by the dealership and showed it to the service adviser , But with it being 5:15 on a friday . They asked me to come back the next day. I got in the car the next morning and it was working fine again.

Not sure what else to do . When its something that does not happen very often. It happens when i try to use the heat. :( and coming into the season where the heat will be used more ... this could become very frustrating!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
My car did the same thing. No heat in the morning, got to work, checked again at lunch and it worked just fine. I'm guessing is it nothing mechanical and simply a software/firmware problem in some module. If mine does it again, I'll just go in and ask them to update every piece of software in the car.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
There is a TSB on this issue, mine did the same time and had it reprogrammed and haven't had any other issues since.
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Giaquinto1989

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
I actually just had my heating core replaced because my windshield wouldnt defrost AND my car was blasting anti-freeze in my face everytime I turned on any air. It was a MAJOR project to replace it, my dash / interior was ripped apart, windshield off, it was a mess.
Giaquinto1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
There is a TSB on this issue, mine did the same time and had it reprogrammed and haven't had any other issues since.
Good to know. This is what I was hoping for, especially after reading what kind of mess they have to go through to remove a heater core.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
woolfman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post

You wouldnt happen to have a link to it would you?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Over the summer my vents would take about 2 minutes to change. Hasnt happened in a while though.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Does anyone have anymore details on this? This morning, my car would not make any heat what so ever. I was able to change everything else (re-circulate, defroster, feet, head, fan speed), but I was not able to adjust the temperature. There is no anti-freeze smell. I did notice that the electric motor noise I usually hear on start up, or when powering my radio without the ignition, sounds very unhealthy. I also hear a water like sound instead. There is nothing wet in my car though.

When I got back in my car this afternoon, everything worked fine again.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
woolfman72

I just finally got them to fix the problem , After a year of it doing it just here and there . I went in when it was still happening.. basically very forcefully told them do not turn the car off.. I dont care if it sat there running for an hour till someone looked at it. (because if it sits for a few minutes it fixes itself) . After messing with it they decided that the Hvac controller was defective and swapped that out. I have not had any issues yet but it has only been a month or so.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
Does anyone have anymore details on this? This morning, my car would not make any heat what so ever. I was able to change everything else (re-circulate, defroster, feet, head, fan speed), but I was not able to adjust the temperature. There is no anti-freeze smell. I did notice that the electric motor noise I usually hear on start up, or when powering my radio without the ignition, sounds very unhealthy. I also hear a water like sound instead. There is nothing wet in my car though.

When I got back in my car this afternoon, everything worked fine again.
If you feel like you may be experiencing an issue, I would definitely suggest going to a dealership for a proper diagnosis. Please let us know any updates you may have on this.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfman72 View Post
I just finally got them to fix the problem , After a year of it doing it just here and there . I went in when it was still happening.. basically very forcefully told them do not turn the car off.. I dont care if it sat there running for an hour till someone looked at it. (because if it sits for a few minutes it fixes itself) . After messing with it they decided that the Hvac controller was defective and swapped that out. I have not had any issues yet but it has only been a month or so.
Is the HVAC controller the stereo bezel and AC knobs? Or is it something else?
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
camarodreamscometrue

Drives: 2014 LT Camaro Bay Blue Metallic
I googled this and found this thread...has anyone had this problem since 2012? Today mine decided to become stuck in defrost, but I did not have any air or defrost or heat on when this happened. I called the dealer, as it is a 2014 Camaro, and they had never heard of this issue. I am hoping it resets, mostly because I don't have the day to go without a car. Frustrated since I have only had the car since May/
camarodreamscometrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodreamscometrue View Post
I googled this and found this thread...has anyone had this problem since 2012? Today mine decided to become stuck in defrost, but I did not have any air or defrost or heat on when this happened. I called the dealer, as it is a 2014 Camaro, and they had never heard of this issue. I am hoping it resets, mostly because I don't have the day to go without a car. Frustrated since I have only had the car since May/
Sorry that your vehicle is displaying similar concerns. I understand the displeasure when dealing with a matter like this. Although you may be seeking opinions from others, I'd be happy to communicate your concerns with the Customer Experience Managers (CEM) at your GM dealer of choice. Please know that you're welcome to message us privately if you would like to discuss this further, or if you simply want this matter documented.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #14
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Sorry that your vehicle is displaying similar concerns. I understand the displeasure when dealing with a matter like this. Although you may be seeking opinions from others, I'd be happy to communicate your concerns with the Customer Experience Managers (CEM) at your GM dealer of choice. Please know that you're welcome to message us privately if you would like to discuss this further, or if you simply want this matter documented.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I had this problem today for the first time.. vents stuck on defrost, and no heat. And this was a serious safety issue as it was 48F outside and my windshield was covered it dew that I could not remove... with the sun shining I was blinded.. I had to guess where the shoulder of the road was and pull over. 2010, 5yrs, likely out of warranty however having the same problem everyone else has.
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote