Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #43
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Yes, but the mods will VOID your waranty. You can mod anything and make it a beast, but getting it to come that way with a factory powertrain waranty is why people are so deflated by Ford's announcement.
That's always a debate too on forums. "will mods VOID my warranty?" Plenty of info out there suggest the answer is "NO" if you do research. Lingenfelter offers a warranty on their parts anyway. Plus I have to believe that with all the "beefy" powertrain components added in the ZL1 (v.s. the SS camaro) and how stable the camaro chassis is in general...bumping the HP up to 650 would pose no threat to any of the factory components. Plus with a reputable company like Lingenfelter, I have to believe they've put the R&D time into their products to ensure your ZL1 will probably survive 99% of track usage (with proper maintenance along the way) anyway.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #44
serpent

Drives: 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by actireman View Post
Your 100% right. I'm a racer and the new ford engine can spin forever. For them to make 650hp is nothing, there are guys out there making 1300hp on that platform and they all say the difference is how hard they can spin them and how much fuel and air they can stuff in there. I am a GM man thru and thru and will own the ZL1, but your right on the engine platform.
Its not just Ford using the DOHC 4v formula, basically every high performance car out there is a 4v or more per cylinder v8.
A perfect example is the Ferrari 458 Italia, that bitch has a 4.5 v8 pushing out 570hp! Yes the TQ is only 398ft-lb, but on a 3xxxlb car it is instantly a world contender.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #45
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaSSt View Post
OK so I counter and take my Mustange to Shelby, Roush, Saleen, etc....

Never good to compare factory to tuner. There's always a badder beast, unless your Tony Schumacher
Of course not; and rest assured people will mod this new GT500 too and it probably won't perform any better as HP is limited by available traction. But my post was to simply ease the worries of those that thought "WHAT! MY ZL1 ISN'T EVEN BUILT YET AND FORD HAS MORE HP IN THE MUSTANG!!! " The Camaro looks WAY better to me (inside and out) anyway, so if I was worried about bragging about my car's HP #'s at work (and assuming I worked with Mustang Fanboys), this is a route I would seriously look into. But I'm fully content with all the work that's been done by GM on the ZL1 so I'm good bro
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #46
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Lets see it hook up!! And run, HP alone doesn't mean chit
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #47
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Lets see it hook up!! And run, HP alone doesn't mean chit
If it was the ZL-1 advertising 650 factory horsepower would you still be saying that?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #48
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I don't think that the marketing for the ZL1 has been brilliant. GM should never have announced the ZL1, and its specification and performance numbers when they did.

Look back at how GM unveiled the 1967 Camaro. It was done in a way that did not tip Chevrolet's hand too early.

There had been rumors for two years that Chevrolet was working on a competitor to the Mustang, but nothing had been officially stated or released regarding the vehicle by Chevrolet.

Then on Tuesday and Wednesday, June 21 and 22, 1966, 200 journalists were sent telegrams announcing a SEPAW meeting on Wednesday, June 29, 1966. On Wednesday, June 29, 1966, a conference call meeting was held with some 150 to 200 journalists across 14 cities in the United States, which was the first and last meeting of SEPAW, where Pete Estes announced that Chevrolet would be releasing a new model in its 1967 lineup on Thursday, September 29, 1966.

Mr Estes stated that since April 8, 1965, when a Detroit newspaper published an article stating the Chevrolet was producing a "Panther" to answer the horsey offering of a competitor, those in the press, radio, and television had literally designed, built, and marketed the Chevrolet “Panther” to the point were Chevrolet received irate letters from customers and phone calls demanding all specifications and price so they could place orders. Mr Estes stated that Chevrolet has frequently responded ‘what Panther?’ to such inquiries.

Mr. Estes then announced press previews of the new car in Detroit on Monday, September 12, 1966, and in Los Angeles on Monday, September 19, 1966, and he mentioned that the name of the new vehicle would be the Camaro.

No specifications were released regarding Camaro in that June 1966 meeting.

The Camaro appeared on Chevrolet showrooms on Thursday, September 29, 1966, just three months after its official announcement leaving little time for competitors to react.

In my opinion, that is more like how the ZL1 should have been marketed.

First off, just to clarify, my marketing statement was more in regards to the 5th Gen as a whole, not just the ZL1.

But I still believe that they have done a fine job marketing this car. IMO you can not compare this era to the 1960's in regards to marketing. In this age of information and media overload, GM decided to go the way of a very early introduction and slow release of information to create and build hype. During that time they have, among other things, thrown out tidbits of information in a very controlled manner, created videos to track the development of this car and advertise features, and have given it to many magazines to promote the release of the car.

That was purely a marketing decision. I believe they think that approach worked well for them during the introduction of the 5th gen as sales have reinforced, at least to them, that this type of marketing works. You just couldn't do the same thing in a different era as information wasn't nearly as accessible as it is today, people would get bored.

It's a completely different approach to how business has been done but the sales numbers and the general public perception of this 5th gen don't lie. But by adhering to this slow release approach based off of marketing the vehicle, you give up one very important thing that both you and I agree on... your competitive advantage.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #49
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Already sick of hearing about the 2013 Rust-stain. They're highly overrated, and all Ford does anyway is wait for GM to make a move, then 1-up it. Stupid... Give GM a couple years and they'll answer back.
I think you have it backwards. Ford never left the game. It took GM almost six years to get back into the the game ,and the only reason they did was because of the 2005 mustang. Every time you think of running down Ford and the mustang think of this. Instead, you should be thanking them everyday for producing the 2005 mustang which pushed GM back into the pony car market which gave us the current Camaro that we all love today.

Ford keeps setting the standard which allows for better and better Camaros.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #50
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
I think you have it backwards. Ford never left the game. It took GM almost six years to get back into the the game ,and the only reason they did was because of the 2005 mustang. Every time you think of running down Ford and the mustang think of this. Instead, you should be thanking them everyday for producing the 2005 mustang which pushed GM back into the pony car market which gave us the current Camaro that we all love today.

Ford keeps setting the standard which allows for better and better Camaros.

As for an answer to the 2010 Shelby

2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #51
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Sorry 2013 Shelby
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #52
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Details available for release yet or is this something that is still in the works? I know you've been playing with the V's forever.

I've already been looking a getting a smaller crank pulley and your dual pumps. I figure that will put it up to 600rwhp. Is there an OD cog setup for the 1900? Are you pulling the little blower off and going bigger?
Not that I would know, but a little birdie told me that the stock fuel pump on the ZL1 is one bad Hosea and will easily handle up to 800 hp. I suppose you could put in two, but is it really necessary?
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #53
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post
Not knowing what would happen. But what if chevy
Decided to swap the tsv 1900 for a 2300 and bumped
But bump boost from 9lbs to 15 lbs. and still
Keep the warranty in tact? Someone try it on a lsa and let
Me know your dyno results.
Coming to a location near you early next year!! LOL, although boost will be at 14 psi I believe?
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #54
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasKL View Post
No, you had it right the first time.
you crack me up
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #55
serpent

Drives: 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
you crack me up
Which car do you prefer as far as driving it goes?
SS or GT500?
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #56
sed34

Drives: a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Already sick of hearing about the 2013 Rust-stain. They're highly overrated, and all Ford does anyway is wait for GM to make a move, then 1-up it. Stupid... Give GM a couple years and they'll answer back.
exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Yes, but the mods will VOID your waranty. You can mod anything and make it a beast, but getting it to come that way with a factory powertrain waranty is why people are so deflated by Ford's announcement.
I want to keep my warranty. Beside, you can get over 600HP and still keep the warranty. You don't need a pulley adjustment.
sed34 is offline   Reply With Quote