Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Infinity Kappa 60.11cs Component Speakers installation in a Z/28

Hi Z/28 fans, Thanks to everyone that recommended these speakers on this Forum. They are perfect .

I am finally got some decent tunes in my Z/28! These suckers thump good now. They sound great ! I put the OEM 250w kicker Subwoofer in with its own separate amp, then, the OEM 4 channel 200w Kicker amp, then, these Infinity Kappas 60,11cs separates in the front, with the stock 6x9s in the back... I got the great bracket, and I fit the kappa tweeter in the stock location ! It rocks decent now. They are 2 ohm, just like the stock speakers, so, the loudness is perfect. I did not cut one stock wire, nor drill one hole. Everything plug and play and easy to put back to stock..

I used the adapter for connection to the stock speaker wire. I put the crossover on with double stick tape and gorilla tape. I tested the tweeter with the +3db setting and it sounded way better with my OEM 200 watt amp, so, both my crossovers are set at +3db for the tweeters. The spot I put it in has plenty of room and it allows short wires.. It fits approx. 2-1/8 inch below the middle of the big hole in the door using the top corner of the crossover. You also want it 1-1/8 inches towards the rear of the car from the same middle of the big hole in the door. I wanted to keep it on the dry side of the water barrier and I think it is much nicer to run short wires outside of the water barrier. For the tweeter, I used one of the housings that come with the tweeter, and double sided tape in it fit in there snug, then, some weatherstriping for foam backing. Check all the pics.

I used black Gorilla tape to secure the crossover in the correct spot on the water barrier. There is an open spot in the mating door panel where there is enough room to fit the crossover when mounted in this location.

Last edited by hjdca; 03-10-2018 at 02:22 PM.
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
drbll

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible
This is great! I just ordered a set of Kappas, the guy at Crutchfield sold me some JBL coax speakers for the front and there is way too much tweeter. I have those speaker adapters as well, so my install should be very similar to yours. What gauge speaker wire did you use to and from the crossover?
drbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
hjdca

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbll View Post
This is great! I just ordered a set of Kappas, the guy at Crutchfield sold me some JBL coax speakers for the front and there is way too much tweeter. I have those speaker adapters as well, so my install should be very similar to yours. What gauge speaker wire did you use to and from the crossover?
Some hints:

1. I used 16 gauge wire. If you put the cross over where I put it, the runs are very short.

2. The adapter you buy from Crutchfield to hook up to the stock wires looks like it fits, but, it does not quite fit. You have to shave the square corners a little to get it to fit, but, once you do that, it works fine and you do not have to cut wires.

3. Use Dynamat to seal the mid speaker mount spaces and use it to seal the spot you use to bring the wires outside the door.

4. Amazon is almost half the price on these speakers vs. Crutchfield.

5. The speakers sound amazing with the add-on 4 channel amp for our Z/28s. You will need that amp to power these speakers well. The head unit is not enough power. It is an easy install with no wire cutting.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
CAn you post the part number for the 4 channel am?

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
hjdca

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull View Post
CAn you post the part number for the 4 channel am?
General Motors Parts Online

4 Channel Amp kit (comes with all plug in wiring harness)
19119200 KICKER AUDIO UPGRADE $387.94

Subwoofer Kit (comes with attached amp and all plug in wiring harness)
19303112 Kicker 200 Watt Powered Sub-Woofer Kit $569.38

Note: Lately, I have been playing my stereo with a well recorded CD with plenty of bass and everyone that has heard it, including people with big time car stereos, have commented how great it sounds. These two ohm Kappas with the stock 6x9s in the rear and the OEM subwoofer and 4 channel amp are perfectly balanced for the car. I set everything to flat -- tone and fader and it sounds perfect... It is a well matched system for the Z/28. The two pieces might seem expensive, but, the wiring harnesses are gorgeous and everything fits like a glove and sounds perfect.

Note2: The stock speakers sound pretty good with the new amps. I ran it like that for a while and it sounded way, way better than stock... So, I would add the amp before adding speakers. However, The front speakers mid is a little sloppy, not tight at all . The kappas however are worth it with the upgraded amp. The mids really move some air and the bass is tight. I can feel the hair on my leg moving from the massive air that the kappa mids punch out.

Last edited by hjdca; 08-08-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
B112

Drives: 2014 camaro 1lt convertible
Very clean install! Looks great. Switching out the rears requires 20% of the effort just food for thought. I waited a year to switch my front woofers because I didn't want to remove the door panel.
B112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
drbll

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible
I had a fairly smooth install of my Kappa system thanks to you and the tips you shared, thanks! With the harsh JBL's gone and the Kappas in, what a difference, these are possibly the best car speakers I have heard.
drbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
2013blackgt

Drives: Sedan
What else would be needed to install in base Camaro z/28 that came with one speaker from the factory? Thanks
Old 08-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
hjdca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013blackgt View Post
What else would be needed to install in base Camaro z/28 that came with one speaker from the factory? Thanks
The stereo was deleted to save weight, so, I doubt you have speaker wires routed. So, you will have to route speaker wires. I think you have two choices.

1. Buy all the stock OEM stuff - Radio, amp, subwoofer, and aftermarket speakers - this way you will get most of the wiring harnesses.

2. For the same price, you can buy better quality aftermarket parts with better functionality and install a complete aftermarket stereo.

Note: The main issue I had with aftermarket is where to put the 4 channel amp... The OEM 4 channel add on amp fits perfect under the dash, there is a spot made for it. Aftermarket amps will most likely go into the trunk and provide new challenges and visuals. Also, the OEM subwoofer fits into a perfect spot and can be easily removed for extra trunk storage. The OEM subwoofer amp is also part of the OEM subwoofer box, so, there is no worry on where to install the subwoofer amp.

I am not sure what I would do if I had the non-stereo version. I think I would go complete aftermarket because of the added functionality and potentially better sound .
Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
2013blackgt

Drives: Sedan
They all come with a stereo but I wonder if the stereo is different than the z/28 that came with the additional speakers.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
FLOW TIE

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #898
Nice job!
Definitely on my list!

I want better audio, but don't want to start cutting and drilling, so I can bring back to stock if needed.
FLOW TIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #12
FLOW TIE

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #898
Video on subwoofer install on a ZL1.
Probably not much different on our cars.

https://youtu.be/WsiWlcljkJ4
FLOW TIE is offline   Reply With Quote