Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Virus

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Brake ducts

Is there any brake duct kits out for our cars? Ive searched around and havent found anything, the only things i found were all custom jobs.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
I have been looking since I got the car. No one makes a kit. Found plenty of kits for Mustangs though.

I looked at the ZL1 brake ducts and like the Corvette's they aren't that good. They fall short of actually bringing cool air directly to hub.

I'm probably do the same as others and make a custom set. You can buy the dust shields for the rotors fairly cheap and I'll just cut the hole for the adapter and have it spot welded on. As for the inlets, I had thought about using the DRL ports, but now I'm leaning towards attaching a duct inlets in the lower grille. On the far left and right of the grille area the back panel is flat and could be cut out to make room for a duct. The car is in stored for the winter now so I just need time to get it up on a lift and start taking measurements and figure out where to route the duct.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I looked at the ZL1 brake ducts and like the Corvette's they aren't that good. They fall short of actually bringing cool air directly to hub.
The ZL1 brake ducts aren't that good because you looked at them? One of the reasons why the ZL1 tops the Shelby GT500 is because of its brake ducts and fade-free brakes.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
The ZL1 brake ducts aren't that good because you looked at them? One of the reasons why the ZL1 tops the Shelby GT500 is because of its brake ducts and fade-free brakes.
It's not the ducts on the ZL1 that allows it to out brake the GT500. It's the fact that all Mustangs come with single piston rear calipers. Also, the ZL1 ducts aren't that effective as they only bring air to the wheel well, not directly onto the rotors where cooling is needed the most.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
bannonm

Quote:
Yeah if they perform like the Z06 brake ducts they aren't that great. Better than nothing. I "looked" at them and they are the same design as the Vettes. I have friends that race Z06s and they have warped rotors even with those type of ducts. The best design for a track car is putting the cool air right at the hub, period. The downside for a daily driver with putting air right at the hub is anything that gets sucked into the duct gets blown on your brakes.

As for comparing the ZL1 to the Mustang, Avalnch is correct. Do some homework before commenting on something you obviously don't know much about.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Do some homework before commenting on something you obviously don't know much about.
You're right, I apologize-I'm no chief engineer and I don't know that much about brakes or ducts. I was just basing my conclusions from MT's Camaro ZL1 vs. Shelby GT500 article:

While the Mustang was a half-second faster around the track than the ZL1 on its best lap, it couldn't repeat the performance. By the end of the first lap, the brakes had already begun to heat up so badly, we could smell them from the pits as the car passed by on the front straight. By the end of the second lap, the Shelby had lost more than half of its advantage over the ZL1, turning a 1:39.03. By the third lap, the Mustang was behind the Camaro, turning a 1:39.30. The ZL1, meanwhile, never deviated by more than two-tenths of a second.

The problem, we suspect, is cooling. The Mustang is 234 pounds lighter than the Camaro and has larger front brakes, and while it has more power and more speed to deal with, it should stop better. In a single attempt, it does, stopping from 60 mph 7 feet shorter than the Camaro. At the track, though, Randy complained of serious fade. "Brakes lack bite, worse each lap," he noted. "Feels like it doesn't want to stop. Disconcerting." We took a look under the cars, and where the Camaro had obvious ductwork to provide cool air to the front brakes, the Mustang had none.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
Virus

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
I have been looking since I got the car. No one makes a kit. Found plenty of kits for Mustangs though.

I'm probably do the same as others and make a custom set. You can buy the dust shields for the rotors fairly cheap and I'll just cut the hole for the adapter and have it spot welded on. As for the inlets, I had thought about using the DRL ports, but now I'm leaning towards attaching a duct inlets in the lower grille. On the far left and right of the grille area the back panel is flat and could be cut out to make room for a duct. The car is in stored for the winter now so I just need time to get it up on a lift and start taking measurements and figure out where to route the duct.
I like the lower grill idea, i wouldnt want to lose my fogs
Old 12-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
*_ERIC_*
OMINOUS

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
You're right, I apologize-I'm no chief engineer and I don't know that much about brakes or ducts. I was just basing my conclusions from MT's Camaro ZL1 vs. Shelby GT500 article:

While the Mustang was a half-second faster around the track than the ZL1 on its best lap, it couldn't repeat the performance. By the end of the first lap, the brakes had already begun to heat up so badly, we could smell them from the pits as the car passed by on the front straight. By the end of the second lap, the Shelby had lost more than half of its advantage over the ZL1, turning a 1:39.03. By the third lap, the Mustang was behind the Camaro, turning a 1:39.30. The ZL1, meanwhile, never deviated by more than two-tenths of a second.

The problem, we suspect, is cooling. The Mustang is 234 pounds lighter than the Camaro and has larger front brakes, and while it has more power and more speed to deal with, it should stop better. In a single attempt, it does, stopping from 60 mph 7 feet shorter than the Camaro. At the track, though, Randy complained of serious fade. "Brakes lack bite, worse each lap," he noted. "Feels like it doesn't want to stop. Disconcerting." We took a look under the cars, and where the Camaro had obvious ductwork to provide cool air to the front brakes, the Mustang had none.

I read that very same Article! Was a great read! I'm assuming professional opinions do hold some weight, correct?
*_ERIC_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by *_ERIC_* View Post
I read that very same Article! Was a great read! I'm assuming professional opinions do hold some weight, correct?
Unbiased opinions yes. Motor trend is a highly biased source.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
carrs_crew
Livin the Dream

Drives: sold
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266566

check this out
carrs_crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Brake ducts, among other things are coming in very short order.....

LG Motorsports Race Build
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200908
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
Brake ducts, among other things are coming in very short order.....

LG Motorsports Race Build
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200908
Any update on the brake ducts?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
bannonm

Make them yourself. I'm finishing my custom belly pan now, and then the brake ducts are next. I've already test run 2-1/2 duct and that's about the biggest you'll be able to run through the engine compartment and right up to the hub. I just bought spare dust shields at $5 ea and using 2-1/2" coupling for exhaust system at $3 each. This will be cut and welded to the dust shield to attach the hose.

For the intake, I'm using a brake duct headlight mount. I'll need 3" to 2-1/2 adapter since I have not found mounts with 2-1/2" fittings. This will be mounted to the left and right of the lower grille area. There's a plastic air damn that can be cut and the headlight mount attached.

Here's a picture of how the dust shield would like (not from a Camaro). Once I finalize how I'm doing this, I'll post the pics.
Attached Images

Tags
brake, ducts