Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-06-2016, 02:21 AM   #1
andre s.

Drives: 2011 Camaro 3.6l V6 2LT RS
Angry Heater core issue

Helloooo my friends
My name is Andrés, im from Switzerland and i got a 2011 Camaro 3.6l V6 2lt (us import) with 17400 miles on it a bit more than 2 weeks ago. Now the smell out of my vents is really disgusting so i checked the passangers side... Wet floor.. Coolant liquid
Is there any chance to communicate with GM or Chevrolet or are they like "i dont give a f***"? The car seller doesnt want to do anything :(
And does exist another heater core than the stock one? I dont trust this shitty factory quality...
Im really pissed off ... I like the car very much but this thing alomst kills my wallet -.-

Greetings from the (rainy) Switzerland
andre s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Your screwed unless you bring it back to the states is what I think.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Even if the car came back to the states it's way out of bumper to bumper warranty.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Even if the car came back to the states it's way out of bumper to bumper warranty.
Yea your right I over looked that part, saw the mileage.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the new car.
It only takes a few minutes to easily bypass the heater core, temporarily, until you decide on best approach for replacement. With warmer weather starting this may give you a way to still use the car until replacement logistics are figured out.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:45 AM   #6
andre s.

Worst case :/ replacement of the heater core will cost about 4500$
Yeah i thought of bypassing it... I will do it so i can use the car anyway. But why has the front window to be replaced for the coupe but not for the convertible?
Thanks for your help
Ps: i didnt blame gm or chevrolet for their work, its a great car but this should obviously not happen with this mileage

Last edited by andre s.; 04-07-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #7
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Odd failure. Windshield does have to be R & R for coupe. Has anyone else had heater core issues?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
You may be able to get a look at the heater hose lines/fittings by:
Opening your glove box and looking through the left rear corner of the opening.
In another thread it mentioned they could see the two lines going into the heater core from that angle to check around the fittings.

From what I read some time back ... There are two long bolts that are removed to pull the dash, unfortunately they are so long that to remove them, the windshield is taken out first to allow clearance to slide the bolts up. Also read that some have cut the bolt first on the thread-end from under that dash to remove the extra unneeded length of the bolt, making the bolt shorter before pulling the bolt upward through the top side; that was suppose to give enough clearance so windshield removal was not needed. Also read that removing the dash could cause flex and crack the windshield - guessing that on convertible, since the convertible windshield floats more in a separate frame, that is not as likely - windshield is not directly attached to the body on 3 sides on vert (guessing here).

I have a scope that I use for problems like this - if you don't have a scope maybe you could borrow one to investigate the heater core itself to see if you can see a defect in a core seam or point of the leak .. just to confirm exact point of leak?
In the past, on other vehicles, I've put in a heater core bypass to prevent any further leaking in to the car and still allow driving it until the repair solution is fully planned out.

Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 04-07-2016 at 08:08 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #9
andre s.

Thanks a lot I try to get to these damn bolts

i just bypassed the heater core on tuesday. dont need it now :P

Tags
heater core, issue