Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
Vrosas

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Bleeding Brakes/Clutch

Hey guys, Im still new to this and instead of finding the right thread, I decided to make a new one.

Im going to change the brake fluid myself for the first time and I know that the clutch fluid and brake fluid are in the same reservoir. So if I want to bleed the brakes, will I also have to bleed the clutch too or can I just bleed the brakes?

Also, is it worth adding a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid?

Any help would be great, Thanks!
Vrosas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I'll try to answer some of this. There's quite a few threads on here discussing the pros and cons to separating the reservoirs.

Basically, the clutch hydraulic system is a much dirtier system. No matter what you do, the fluid gets much dirtier, much quicker than the brake system. The clutch dust ends up in the fluid despite it being a closed system.

Pros:
1) Keeps contamination from clutch system out of the brake system
2) Makes fluid flush easier for the clutch system (definitely need to flush more with smaller reservoir)
3) allows you to run a different fluid in clutch vs. brakes

Cons:
1) smaller reservoir so fluid gets dirtier quicker
2) temperature cycling can heat the fluid more with less fluid to absorb
3) more work/maintenance

I separated the reservoirs and basically looked for an *affordable* fluid with very high *wet* AND dry boiling points. Some fluids have a very high dry temp, but any contamination essentially ruins it. I was actually having issues with a master cylinder seal that was made worse with dirty fluid boiling and introducing air in the system. ATE Type 200 and a new tick stainless insulated clutch line fixed that for me and I can buy it by the liter and regularly flush it.

The brake system has stayed much cleaner and I bleed it every year, but the fluid barely even darkens. In comparison, the clutch fluid is full of sediment and I flush about monthly.

Bleeding the clutch fluid is fairly difficult unless you have a remote bleed line. The bleeder is located under the car in the transmission bellhousing. Not impossible, just a royal pain to access. Highly recommend a remote bleeder line like the Tick performance one.

Bleeding the brake system really isn't that hard. I replaced all 4 brake lines with stainless and had the system bled and the car back on the road in a couple hours. Just make absolutely sure you're keeping the reservoir full. Vaccum or pressure bleeders can help, especially if you're on your own, but I've still had the best luck with the old school pedal push and crack the bleeder method of you've got a helper.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
Silveradoss573

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LE
A lot of good info above. I purchased the motive brake bleeder. Used it on my Camaro, my Silverado and my wife's Altima sr. Excellent way to bleed the brakes without needing another person go help. On my camaro, I first did a brake flush. Then the second round, I pumped the clutch pedal probably 50 times or so. That definitely turned the clean fluid in the reservoir darker instantly. And then went and flushed the brake system again. Not sure how effective what I did really was if at all in regards to the clutch part. But I figured if I keep up with it being it's so easy, maybe it's ok? Btw I still have the stock setup
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Pumping the clutch pedal definitely circulates the fluid in the system. It's a little different than something like the brakes where the same fluid will stay in each individual line with no way to circulate inside the system.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
Vrosas

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
OK forsure! Thanks for the help guys! Ill most likely bleed the clutch aswell and look into getting that speed bleeder. Appreciate it
Vrosas is offline   Reply With Quote