Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
LCPLPunk
Formerly 5LAVE1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
What is the actual torque for the SS rear brake banjo bolt?

Hey all,

So my car had a stripped bleeder bolt on the passenger rear caliper. I decided to replace the caliper and during my install today I got 99.9% done and then decide to check the torque on the banjo bolt. As I did so the dang bolt stripped inside the caliper. I pulled the bolt out and saw shards of metal on the end (from the caliper side). I didn't think my initial tightening was anywhere near 30 ft pounds and after doing some research I'm seeing quite a few cases where others tried to do 30 and ended up either stripping the caliper or breaking the bolt.

Also, apparently Corvettes also suggest 30, but I saw quite a few people saying to use 15 or so ft pounds.

So, what the heck do I do? I already ordered my second replacement caliper and I really don't want to mess up another one! Official GM values from what I see do say 30, so I'm totally confused.

Thanks!

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip

To be installed: Powerbond UDP
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
The Haynes manual also suggests 30 ft/lb. I've done brakes a bunch of times on other cars and never torqued the banjo bolts to spec, just used a small wrench and went with what felt to be tight enough 30 does seem like a lot to me but then again what do I know
K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake, Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
LCPLPunk
Formerly 5LAVE1

Well, I initially got it to snug, and then was like 'I need to go by the manual', and in doing so stripped it. :(

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip

Old 07-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Was this a Brembo Caliper?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Suede Steering wheel, short throw shifter. Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, C7 GS Calipers, PAFDT Solid Cradle bushing, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs.
olblue75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
LCPLPunk
Formerly 5LAVE1

It was/is.