Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #15
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
so none of the rear suspension was hurt?
that type of wreck is much worse than body damage
lemontwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:54 AM   #16
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The rear links are designed to crush/collapse to avoid the transfer of damage to the subframe and body rails. If you had aftermarket links that dont collapse the damage would be a lot worse at least in the rear.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Suede Steering wheel, short throw shifter. Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, C7 GS Calipers, PAFDT Solid Cradle bushing, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs.
olblue75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #17
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
We got everything back together yesterday with some new to me wheels and tires. I did have a bent rear link as someone suggested. Drove it around about 4 miles, it seems to be tracking well, no weird noises or vibrations. Going to the alignment shop tomorrow to see if it will align. Fingers crossed.
Damage so far:
Right front rotor, brake hose, caliper crossover, brake pads, steering knuckle, hub, wheel sensor, lower control arm, inner and outer tie rods and a sway bar link.
Right Rear Caliper, brake hose and some suspension link part I can’t remember the name of. I’m frankly surprised how affordable and available OEM parts are. I got a used caliper, fender and wheels/tires but just about everything else from the local dealer or Amazon. I love this car, hope it works out for us.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #18
redrum_maro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
I've seen less damage totaled out on Copart. For the safety's sake of the potential buyer who might buy something like that, I'd just part it out.
I think this is a good way to go about a car that has been damaged before.
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #19
Camaro__ss

Well to all you doubters here telling me to scrap it, I had it aligned today. All within factory specs. All in all not too difficult. Back in business.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #20
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I've seen a whole lot of wrecks where wheels are ripped off or bent up. All the way from mild to wild. I have not seen what you have pictured with the wheel ripped into pieces. An in spec alignment is not the same as a structurally sound chassis. A whole lot of force rippled through that chassis, a chassis which is designed to yield. For the sake of anyone who rides in that car I hope you do not get into any further impacts or that cockpit could very well be the last thing seen by the occupants.
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #21
Camaro__ss

“Cockpit” —a place to bury cock. Nobody wants to see the inside of that.