Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #113
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
hmmm. this is an interesting thread.

so what i gather from all of this is, all the extra hp in the Challenger will do is close the rift that its extra weight has over the Camaro. yet the Camaro will still be faster.

however, when Ford upped the ante by giving the new 5.0 ~10 less hp than the LS3 Camaros, the fact that it weighs less than the Camaro is irrelevant because the Camaro is faster.

so no matter how much hp you have or what you weigh Camaro>everyone.

got it.
I see what you did there LOL
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #114
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
well, it is a lot cheaper than the GT400 and the supposed Z28 (which is still as real as a striped unicorn with wings chewing fruit stripe gum). The SRT starts around 42k, tops out around 46k, the GT500 starts at basically 50k and now tops out near 60k, i would expect the Z28 (imaginary car, imaginary pice? why not!) to be at least 55k for starts. You people make such a big deal about the SRT8 starting at 5k more than a 2SS, what about the GT500/Z28 starting at 8k more than the SRT? Anywho, back to your regualry scheduled program......
The difference is in the fact that the SRT is not only a LOT slower than the gt500, but it's also slower than the GT and SS. They either need to up the power massively to compete with the GT500 or drop the price to compete with the SS and GT. You can't have the slower, more expensive, worse handling car in a performance segment and expect to make good sales.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #115
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS View Post
I cant understand the L99 haters, I will put a 2800 stall in my slow L99...Add a pair a dr's to the car and tune the trans, Wanna know what a LS3 is goona see, MY TAIL LIGHTS :o)

I like the fact the the big 3 are playing around and I expect a nastier version of a SRT8 to compete with the Z/28 and GT500..

If u really wanna whip on all 3 but a used C6 Z06 or 3rd Gen Viper GTS and mod it..
These car with the right parts will beat them all.

Pony/Muscle cars will be dead if the tree huggers get there way..
Better jump in the deep end or u will be left behind

I don't understand why when people compare cars they always say "yeah but if I mod this and that I'll be WAY faster"

.... yes, but if the other car does the same mods it'll STILL be way faster... once you start throwing mods in the mix you can't compare vehicles anymore. Aside from discussing how easy they are to do.

I had a modded S10 that would nearly lift the wheels off the ground, but I don't compare that to my Camaro.

If I modded an LS Camaro with a jet engine I could easily wipe out the Veyron. It'd be way faster than you LS3 punks

anyway I hope Dodge does make this motor. Hell I hope it has 500 HP. That means the next Chev V8 will have 501. The more the merrier in this fight. We've had too many boring cars for too long.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #116
ayceman

Drives: 2007 Dodge Charger SXT, 2010 2SS
Quote:
Are you sure it was the super track pack? that is comething that is a mid 10 intro and not only includes 3 season tires but different swaybars, shocks, ESP tuining, etc, etc. My guess is you were in the 6 speed track pack which is basically the 6 speed/LSD/nivomat shocks/speed sensitive steering. Unfortunatly there have been no tests for the STP yet so no idea what the actual improvements are numberwise. COnsidering a R/T auto with the stock 4 season crap tires can run as quick as 13.1.........
yup it had the F1 tires, it cornered pretty good, but still not as tight as the SS
ayceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #117
chevymuscle311

Drives: 2SS/RS- IOM w/ CG Rallies
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
hmmm. this is an interesting thread.

so what i gather from all of this is, all the extra hp in the Challenger will do is close the rift that its extra weight has over the Camaro. yet the Camaro will still be faster.

however, when Ford upped the ante by giving the new 5.0 ~10 less hp than the LS3 Camaros, the fact that it weighs less than the Camaro is irrelevant because the Camaro is faster.

so no matter how much hp you have or what you weigh Camaro>everyone.

got it.
Does anybody even read this guy's posts anymore?? Go back to the Mustang forums you troll.
chevymuscle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #118
alrox

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymuscle311 View Post
Does anybody even read this guy's posts anymore?? Go back to the Mustang forums you troll.
I do. He makes a good point on the biased, hypocritical Camaro advocate opinion.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #119
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
I do. He makes a good point on the biased, hypocritical Camaro advocate opinion.
aka, fanboism
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #120
chevymuscle311

Drives: 2SS/RS- IOM w/ CG Rallies
Quote:
He shouldn't expect anything less on a Camaro forum and he is probably more biased against Camaros then most people on here are biased towards Camaros.

Last edited by DGthe3; 07-06-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: removed personal insult
chevymuscle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #121
alrox

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymuscle311 View Post
He shouldn't expect anything less on a Camaro forum and he is probably more biased against Camaros then most people on here are biased towards Camaros.
I expect people to be civil and rational in all instances.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #122
KungFuHamster

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
thank you. and chevymuscle311 if you actually read my posts, nowhere do i ever talk down on the camaro. just because i disagree with things doesnt mean im a "hater"
KungFuHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #123
mjf6866

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T 6-speed 3.92 rear
Location: sitting on an angry chair with angry walls that steal the air
Quote:
Are you sure it was the super track pack? that is comething that is a mid 10 intro and not only includes 3 season tires but different swaybars, shocks, ESP tuining, etc, etc. My guess is you were in the 6 speed track pack which is basically the 6 speed/LSD/nivomat shocks/speed sensitive steering. Unfortunatly there have been no tests for the STP yet so no idea what the actual improvements are numberwise. COnsidering a R/T auto with the stock 4 season crap tires can run as quick as 13.1.........
Stew, correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought the only difference with the super track pak and the regular track pak was the bigger sway bar and the option to turn ESP completely off along with slightly (and i stress slightly) better tires. the load leveling nivomats are the same on both as far as i understand.
-HopNot total package
-275/50-17 M&H drag radials on mustang cobra r's for track days
future mods:
-hurst shifter
-exhaust
-custom tune
-driver mod
mjf6866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #124
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
The difference is in the fact that the SRT is not only a LOT slower than the gt500, but it's also slower than the GT and SS. They either need to up the power massively to compete with the GT500 or drop the price to compete with the SS and GT. You can't have the slower, more expensive, worse handling car in a performance segment and expect to make good sales.
You missed what I was saying, i was stating the 11 6.4 falls in between them in price and performance so technically, going by price only, it is not a competitor for either, also the CHallenger as a whole is a very different car than the Mustang and Camaro. Also the whopping 2/10ths average and nearly exact handling numbers the SS and SRT puts down does not seem signifigantly slower to me. IMHO, the only standout is the new 5.0 which after seeing everything I have and everyone saying the SS and SRT are not a drivers race, is the quickest of the 3 and NOT a drivers race with the SS. I am seing a hell of a lot more 12 second slips from the GT than the SS and it matched the SSes best time in coll weather after less a month in the summer heat. So since the 1SS is around a grand more than a base GT I'd say the SS is overpriced going by the logic here.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #125
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf6866 View Post
Stew, correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought the only difference with the super track pak and the regular track pak was the bigger sway bar and the option to turn ESP completely off along with slightly (and i stress slightly) better tires. the load leveling nivomats are the same on both as far as i understand.
What I thought too, one thing people are noticing is the STP cars seem to be equipped with Bilstein shocks once they get under the car. If I am not mistaken, isn't that what the SRT8 has? I unfortunatly haven't had a chance to get one since my local dealership keeps ordering the same car just in different colors LOL. Always an auto classic with a sunroof as the only option.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #126
mjf6866

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T 6-speed 3.92 rear
Location: sitting on an angry chair with angry walls that steal the air
Quote:
What I thought too, one thing people are noticing is the STP cars seem to be equipped with Bilstein shocks once they get under the car. If I am not mistaken, isn't that what the SRT8 has? I unfortunatly haven't had a chance to get one since my local dealership keeps ordering the same car just in different colors LOL. Always an auto classic with a sunroof as the only option.
hmm, if thats the case, then i would expect the handling to improve, but the straight line acceleration to suffer a bit. seems like the SRTs are having problems transferring that weight and power to the rear due to the stiffer setup with the Bilsteins, as the current regular R/T's are allowing the front to lift and "lean" to the back on hard acceleration to allow the rear to plant a little better. i'll have to do a little digging to find out for sure...
-HopNot total package
-275/50-17 M&H drag radials on mustang cobra r's for track days
future mods:
-hurst shifter
-exhaust
-custom tune
-driver mod
mjf6866 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.4 hemi, dodge, srt8