Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: .
Camaro 0 0%
Mustang 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #7925
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
There are some folks that actually prefer the live axle (drag racers, mostly), and I'd wagar that the vast majority of buyers don't even know the difference. Of course, those of us on these types of forums absolutely DO know the difference - be we are generally the exception, not the rule. Personally, I've hit lots of bumps in turns and have so far managed to stay in control.

On cutting weight....it is Ford's goal to cut 200-300 lbs out of the NEXT revision of the Mustang, some time around 2014-ish or so. GM is looking also looking to bring the heft down with Camaro - possibly by using the Alpha platform in around 2015.

Weight is the enemy of everything performance....both companies (and Chrysler) know it, and both will address it.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #7926
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Those that market exhaust systems are preaching 25-35 RWHP. I have not yet seen cars owned by individuals with these systems installed show before and after dyno tests. So yes, its possible, but no, I'm not ready to jump on the "LTs and X-pipe equals 30 RWHP" bandwagon just yet.

CAIs alone have been showing anywhere from 6-11 RWHP. The biggest gains are coming from a tune, and besides adding power, what really helps is bumping the rev limiter up over 7k. The motor is very handicapped from the factory given its 6600 rpm peak HP and the "soft limiter" coming in at 6850 (drag racers know that shift points need to be several hundred rpm above peak power, depending upon the shape of the HP curve and tranny gearing).

When it is all said and done, and the most common "bolt-ons" are available and being used, I think you'll see M6 5.0s making an average of 420-435 RWHP SAE. A6s will be somewhat less, of course. That should be in the ballpark of the LS3, perhaps a bit less overall. The LS3 will always have a somewhat better powercurve (its that displacement thing).
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #7927
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Are LT headers really producing 30rwhp on the new 5.0 or is that just advertising bull. I know for a fact that the CAI only adds like 2hp. I recently read that in my new 5.0 Mustang & super Fords magazine.(I used to own a 08 GT, thats why I still get the mag)

headers ARE NOT making that kind of power. they are making 11rwhp on most. the catpipe/catback is where the real power is. it is tiny pipes.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #7928
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
CAI adds very little. the steeda part has a 95mm MAF. still only adds a few hp over K&N in the stock unit.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #7929
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
IMO, you wont see who has the better build quality until the cars have been driven in the real world for a few years.

Ford is generally rated either #1 or #2 in reliability though. Toyota was #1, but after the recalls last year some are now ranking Ford #1 in that dept. GM's reliability is ranked higher than Chrysler however.
TRUE.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #7930
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Back in the day, it was easy to bolt on substantial RWHP gains because the OE bits were almost crude by comparison to the aftermarket parts. These days, The OE guys are very good. You can still find gains and substantial gains with aftermarket power adders. They don't always show in the final RWHP numbers. You have to look at the low end and mid-range gains. Adding 20, 30 or 40 RWHP between 3K and 6K with a final RWHP gain of 5 or 10 produces a better driving faster automobile.

As good as the OE stuff is, a good tuner and quality aftermarket power adder bolt ons will deliver significant performance gains on today's best built and designed engines.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #7931
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
We're starting to see stupid amounts of power on street machines but not once do I see in any of these adverts or articles, or even discussions on forums, anything about upgrading the rest of the car to handle it all, including upgrading driver skills. 500 hp to the rear wheels?? How about upgrading brakes and suspension and drivetrain too so there's at least SOME improvement in safety for that much power!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #7932
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
I am amazed this is still a camaro site.

A guy posts that he drove both and preferred the camaro on a camaro site.

He gets mostly disdain and whining.

A challenger guy posts on a camaro site that he preferred the mustang....he gets plenty of applause and basically a circle jer! for a thread.

I have never seen anything like this before.

The amount of people jealous of the camaro must be off of the charts.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #7933
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
We're starting to see stupid amounts of power on street machines but not once do I see in any of these adverts or articles, or even discussions on forums, anything about upgrading the rest of the car to handle it all, including upgrading driver skills. 500 hp to the rear wheels?? How about upgrading brakes and suspension and drivetrain too so there's at least SOME improvement in safety for that much power!
ey Doc,

as you known, I have been preaching this since day one. In every OE vehcile, there is a certain lose in actual torque and hp at the ground. I am not talking dyno hp, I am talking a dynamic RWhp and torque. How effective is your chassis, suspension, etc in putting down all the big numbers your dyno says you have? GM did a very good job on the Camaro with Zeta II. Can it be improved. Absolutely. So add 100 to 150 RWHP to a system that can be significantly improved and made to increase efficiency, and now you can be way out of wack. I ahve chatted with guys who have made substantial hp, and now their times at the track are less than when it is stock.

A master plan on powertrain and chassis mods must be done. In the plans, a set of goals and expectations must be established. You should alwasy include suspension mods with any signficant hp improvements. If not, it is like a guy who spends $15,000 in engine work, and then upgrades his wheels and tires to a wheel that ways 78lbs. Doing this, just cost him 50hp! But they looked good!

thanks
mike
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #7934
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
LMAO! Did you cut-and-paste that excuse from Challengertalk?

Did you blast them last year when the Camaro beat the Mustang?
Not my point at all.

I dont give much credit to a mag who applauses a car one year and rips it the very next when nothing had changed.

They could have preferred the camaro last year because it was the new thing and or preferred the stang this year because it was the new thing. I dont see how my post was bashing the mustang so theirs no need to get all protective of your precious 2011 mustang that you dont even own.....on a camaro website.

I was just saying dont put much stake into a mags/other persons claim even when it comes to build quality etc.....they have shown to be inconsistent here as well.

Ford isnt #2 with the mustang itself. So that means nothing. I have seen data recently showing the 2010 camaro to have a quality/reliability advantage over the 2010 mustang. But I am sure a source could be found to say the opposite. Just drive what you like. Which you must have a hard time doing along with a lot of your friends that waste countless hours on camaro boards.

If the camaro sucks so bad why do so many of you care so much? Makes me laugh every time I see a new troll on this website or a new user claiming to own a camaro but posts every chance they get about how they love the mustang.
Every time I see it I realize just how successful the camaro must be.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #7935
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
I have seen data recently showing the 2010 camaro to have a quality/reliability advantage over the 2010 mustang. But I am sure a source could be found to say the opposite.

Please, please tell me where said data could be found. The 2010 mustang has upgraded materials over the 05-09, and those cars are still running strong at 100k+ miles (check the forums, there are some that look like new over 150k!). The camaro has been out for 1 year, so please tell me where you found this data. The only unknown about the 2011 is the engine, however if its built anything like the same quality of the 4.6, it will be extremely reliable.

I'd really love to see this "data".
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #7936
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT 79 View Post
Please, please tell me where said data could be found. The 2010 mustang has upgraded materials over the 05-09, and those cars are still running strong at 100k+ miles (check the forums, there are some that look like new over 150k!). The camaro has been out for 1 year, so please tell me where you found this data. The only unknown about the 2011 is the engine, however if its built anything like the same quality of the 4.6, it will be extremely reliable.

I'd really love to see this "data".
It was posted by another member in another pissing match similar to this thread. Ill try and find it. It was comparing 2010 MY data. All the threads have been merged etc. so many times I doubt I can find it...looks like I was lying....you got me champ.

People do cam swaps in ls1 cars with 100k on them. I have never had a reliability problem with a camaro either. Both are solid cars...I never said they werent. Thanks mustang soldier.

Wow....this feels like a mustang website

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 07-16-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #7937
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
Personally, I've hit lots of bumps in turns and have so far managed to stay in control.

I have taken some nasty bumps in curves with some good speed. Thought they might have blown my tire out immediately after the hit. But never have I lost control of the car.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #7938
REEFBLUE93
Account Suspended

Drives: 1993 Rustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I think there are threads in other areas that pertain to the safety mods in particular. Most people that are running very high horsepower setups are cavemen that prefer to race at the 1/4 mile track
REEFBLUE93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 2011 mustang, 442trumpsall, 5.0, camaro, camaro lost!!!, camaro lost., carthatsucks, corvette, drag, fanboys anonymous, ford, ford mustang, glue factory, gluefactory, gt ss ssrs comparison ford, gtss, mustang, numbers, oldnag, race, tired nag, trolls, video