Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
New hood

Does anyone know about what a new hood costs for a 2011 1LT? I've got hail damage to mine and the vinyl stripe needs to be replaced. I'm wondering if getting a whole new hood would just be better than having the vinyl stripes replaced since there's hail damage to the hood anyway.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
You can find used hoods for 2-500 , probably some in the classified area
Old 06-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
RubberChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace16 View Post
I'll look. Thanks for that!
RubberChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
RubberChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace16 View Post
I found some generic, primed hoods. I want to replace the hood I have now for two reasons: 1. Hail damage; 2. The white vinyl stripe has "crackled", meaning it's got this crackled effect going on all over it. The vinyl stripe needs to be removed and replaced. But the company that applied the stripe will charge $25 an hour to remove the stripe and with the crackled effect going on, I'm afraid it's going to take a week or longer to remove, meaning well over $1000 just for stripe removal.

For that much I'm wondering if I can just get a new hood and have a body shop paint it and then apply a painted stripe that won't crackle.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
To get the decals removed should take no more than an hr. Do it yourself if your worried about it taking a while. Heat gun and fingers will get them off. It also doesn't take much heat.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
RubberChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
To get the decals removed should take no more than an hr. Do it yourself if your worried about it taking a while. Heat gun and fingers will get them off. It also doesn't take much heat.
Thanks for that response. This was my other option - buying a heat gun and doing the job myself. But I was worried that I would apply too much heat and mess up the paint. But if it doesn't take that much heat, then I might just give that a go!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
If the decal turns brown to much heat lol. Also when over heated it'll break apart as you pull.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
I found some generic, primed hoods. I want to replace the hood I have now for two reasons: 1. Hail damage; 2. The white vinyl stripe has "crackled", meaning it's got this crackled effect going on all over it. The vinyl stripe needs to be removed and replaced. But the company that applied the stripe will charge $25 an hour to remove the stripe and with the crackled effect going on, I'm afraid it's going to take a week or longer to remove, meaning well over $1000 just for stripe removal.

For that much I'm wondering if I can just get a new hood and have a body shop paint it and then apply a painted stripe that won't crackle.
I removed my own stripes.

American Car Craft was VERY reluctant to remove them for me, even at $25 ish an hour. I think they were afraid of damage and didn't want the responsibility.

I purchased a 3M eraser wheel (used with standard household power drill) and took my time. After removal, I clay barred and compounded. Came out great.

Only downside is very similar to what you posted. I had major cracking of my original stripes. It even transferred to the paint. To make sense of that, what had happened is that I had purchased my car used. It had stripes that were very dry and badly cracked. The old stripes blocked out the UV rays from the sun for so long that they caused severe paint shadowing (Darker original paint under stripes). The cracks in the stripes actually transferred into the paint as well. There were no actual cracks in the paint. But the pattern of the cracks would show in the shadowing. At that point of damage, it has to be either re-striped or resprayed.

After removal, I brought it back to ACC and had them install brand new stripes to cover the shadowing and cracking.

Hopefully you don't have the bad shadowing that I had. You can't even tell now, due to my new stripes, but the downside is that I can never take my stripes fully off unless I want a respray.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote