Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-03-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Custom Door Panels - first try

Here is a project I’m too far down the rabbit hole to quit now. I wanted 3-way speaker system so I had to find a spot for a 3” speaker. I started with Custom Door Pods 3 way door pod. It worked for what it is, a bolt on.

I decided I want to make a custom door panel instead of the pod. The pics below are of the mdf board cutout, after the first round of resin, and of a layer of “rondo”. I didn’t take a picture of the fiberglass layer.

My plan is the have this panel sit right below the armrest and door handle. I will cut the hole in the door once the panels are done, but before they are painted. I have no idea of this is going to work.
Attached Images

2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

So…I get it now there is a reason people rarely do this.

Following contours of a door and getting the fit just right is HARD!

Screwing in the bottom pulled the base in just enough I think the door screws won’t line up with the door anymore.

Might be time to bail and get some new door panels.

What do you think?
Attached Images

2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:32 PM   #3
SS_Dave

Interesting project. Could generate some cool results. Just a matter of how much effort you want to put in to it. Maybe also get those drivers angled for better imaging.
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #4
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

If I would have stopped the panel right where the angle begins I would have been much better off.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:17 PM   #5
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Texas metal makes it look soo easy lol
do it again, soak the your MDF board in water to bend it, once you have the shape over size your fiberglass layers then sand it down to size.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:27 PM   #6
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
Texas metal makes it look soo easy lol
do it again, soak the your MDF board in water to bend it, once you have the shape over size your fiberglass layers then sand it down to size.
Good trick! Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:51 PM   #7
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

So. The panels were not salvageable. I will keep them around for another project.

I bought new door panels, kept the 6.5 mid-bass in the door and the tweeters in the door sails. I had some A-pillars custom made for me after I made one that I wasn’t happy with either. Somethings are better left to the professionals. Here is a pic of the pillar. I installed them today, I forgot to take a pic installed. I will post later.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2023, 08:15 PM   #8
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
So. The panels were not salvageable. I will keep them around for another project.

I bought new door panels, kept the 6.5 mid-bass in the door and the tweeters in the door sails. I had some A-pillars custom made for me after I made one that I wasn’t happy with either. Somethings are better left to the professionals. Here is a pic of the pillar. I installed them today, I forgot to take a pic installed. I will post later.
I did my mids and highs up there.
Attached Images

•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:38 PM   #9
SS_Dave

Quote:

Looks good. Confused about the red area, though.
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:03 PM   #10
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Nice.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:05 PM   #11
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Dave View Post
Looks good. Confused about the red area, though.
The vinyl wouldn’t hold the line we created, so it was going to be two pieces of vinyl. I asked for some red. Installed it is a subtle touch. I am going to be replacing my seat covers for black seats red piping. It will all tie together.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:34 PM   #12
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Installed pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #13
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Installed pics.
Looks good. Is the Red to 2 tone it with the exterior paint?
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:03 PM   #14
The SS Godfather

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
WOW!!! Just like a bought one !! Impressed !!!
The SS Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote