Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #43
Adam
You Said Member

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Auto RS
Just one thing. It's perfectly valid to wonder about the warranty of a GM product because they had to take government money to survive.

Ford has not to this day and claims they do not need to. If that changes, then you can call the comparison invalid, but not until then. Given that things can't get much worse, I assume they won't hit that point.

GM is however, over extended in the marketplace, and GMAC was tied into a lot of bad home mortgage assets. I assume that since their financing arm was cleared to become a bank, and GM got some govt money, that it will be fine.

But I'm pretty sure a lot of you don't know just how close GM was to filing bankruptcy.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #44
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Just one thing. It's perfectly valid to wonder about the warranty of a GM product because they had to take government money to survive.

Ford has not to this day and claims they do not need to. If that changes, then you can call the comparison invalid, but not until then. Given that things can't get much worse, I assume they won't hit that point.

GM is however, over extended in the marketplace, and GMAC was tied into a lot of bad home mortgage assets. I assume that since their financing arm was cleared to become a bank, and GM got some govt money, that it will be fine.

But I'm pretty sure a lot of you don't know just how close GM was to filing bankruptcy.
they would still honor warranties if they declared bankruptcy.

stop running around like chicken little
Old 02-05-2009, 03:45 AM   #45
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
You just got to understand where you live and what kind of car we are here for. If you do not get it when I say "there is no replacement for displacement" or you don't get it when I state that "some times you just got to let the big dog eat", you may need to ask yourself if you need this car or need to be here on this forum. You can always go get one of those small displacement ring-ding-ding things and stick one of thiose big fart cans on it, I don't think anyone here is going to care.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #46
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

fair enough, do you know why ford doesn't need the money yet?

they financed away alot of the ip (including the rights to the blue oval) months before this...

yes they have cash in reserve, enough to not need government loans but it's only because they've already taken a loan out.

now, we run into the situation of ford needing money and it gets really bad considering they already owe on loans due to that financing.

just some stuff to keep in mind. there's alot more that goes on then what the general public is told on all sides of the equation.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #47
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
The LS2/3 motors start life as a Corvette motor. To get real world facts, figures and commentary I suggest you visit the Corvette Forum and see for your self what over 125,000 (double that if you include the LS1/LS6 motors) vette owners have to say about these motors.

BTW in real world driving my modded (exhaust/intake) 06 Vette returns 30+ MPG that's equal to my wifes 08 I4 Accord. These motor's are bullet proof.

Geez there is an entire community of car owners that can speak with authority and from experience about these motors. Take advantage of this. It's not like these motors are brand new, they have millions of miles on them owned and operated by some of the most die hard gear heads on the planet.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #48
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
If only coach would have put me in.....back in 82 we would have won State....no doubt about it.....Dude, the GM small block V8 is bullet proof, it always has been. My advice would be to stay with the Honda and continue to complain about the Camaro being too...(fill in the blank) and not (fill in the blank) enough; in order to justify why you don't have one.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #49
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
Two things...First, I love this post...Second, I can't believe I wasted 10 mins. reading this thread!!! This is 'merica, and in 'merica we love big engines, P-E-R-I-O-D...
And scatterguns!!!!!

U! S! A! U! S! A! U! S! A! U! S! A! U! S! A! U! S! A! U! S! A! U! ! A! U! S! A! U! S! A!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by LSxJunkie; 02-05-2009 at 09:31 AM.
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #50
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Troll check -

1. Comes on Chevy board talking about how great a ford is

2. Talks about owning many cars, but is obviously under 25

3. Knows what JDM is...and uses it often (can we say ricer?)

4. Claims to want "information" but argues when you give it to him

5. Talks about how a high rev low torque engine is somehow superior to anything else (see the comment in number 3)

:troll:
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #51
1982camaro

Drives: 1982 camaro
sounds good, thanks everybody
1982camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #52
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982camaro View Post
sounds good, thanks everybody
One more point to help you, the small block Chevy V8 has been around for almost as long as Honda has been in existance. That should tell you all you need to know.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #53
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
I don't see why everyone had to flip and tear this guy a new one. He was asking legit questions, albeit not worded perfectly. I'm glad there were good answers in this thread, at least.
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #54
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982camaro View Post
i like all kinds of engines, just seems like anyone can make big power with a big displacement engine.
Do you think it is hard to make 100 HP/ l engine?? I think every car manufacturer has knowledge on how to make that kind of engine. Question is how much that kind of engine would cost. LS engine are ohv engine and they have 2 valves per cylinder not 4 like most DOHC engine. Less intake valve (1 instead of two) usually means less air (less power). Also when you have 1 intake valve rather 2 this intake valve is heavier than the one in DOHC engine (2 intake valves) so valve float can accure on lower rpm than in DOHC engine.
Yes Honda makes 120 hp/l..but it still got 240 hp. I rather have 260 hp turbo engine. Not to mention ls3 with 430 hp.
Bmw v10 engine has over 100 hp/l also. And it weights around 250 kg. Find out how much does Ls7 weights.
Here in Europe you pay taxes on power (and on displacement) so hp/l can have effect on price of the car. But if you are talking about 4.0 l + 400+hp tax is very high so only rich people can afford that kind of car (at least in my country). They don't care what is Hp/l ratio.
If engine is doing a great job it doesn't matter what is hp/l of that engine.

If you want high rpm high HP/l ratio you can look at this engines
http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm
http://www.powertecengineering.com/p...s/v8engine.pdf
Now if only that engine wouldn't cost like completely new car with v8.

For some reason this engine seems more like a weekend toy type of engine that is only for 1 or 2 days a week.

What reason????
Small block are very reliabile.
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #55
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
He just got his ass chewed the f out. n
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #56
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The least expensive (and most reliable) way for a manufacturer to get an engine to produce more power is by going to a bigger displacement. Bigger displacement results in a better power band because of the improved low end torque. A big slow turning engine is also more thermally efficient than a small high revving one. Fat power bands also allow for crazy overdrive ratios for improved highway economy.

The power numbers for the S200 are slightly misleading. When does anyway wind those up to 8000 rpm? For the most part, mild acceleration (up to 5k or so) in those cars gets you ~130 hp. The SS at the same revs produces about 400 hp. Hmm, triple the engine size, triple the power . . .

Now for Ford. They don't have a 5.0 that produces 400 hp. But they are expected to introduce it into 2011 MY vehicles. One way that they get the improved power is through direct injection, something that GM is working on for their next generation of V8's. DI allows for a ~15% increase in power while improving fuel economy slightly. So without it, that engine would be making 340 hp or so, which is less than what the LS3 makes on a hp/L basis.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote