Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #15
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Overpasses/bridges are always scary when it's that cold out, especially if there has been any moisture. This past freeze in Austin had temps in the high teens, and I had to drive the 1LE with goodyears on back roads with low water crossings/creeks. thankfully it was all very dry and never had a hint of slippage.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #16
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Thanks everyone for the replies. I really like this forum and the members on it, have received a lot of good info from this site. I knew there would be some skeptics about how I was driving, people are entitled to their opinions. Trust me, I beat myself up over these crashes, I have a lot of experience driving in cold/bad conditions as I daily drive my cars 365. The first winter on the A/S tires were great, stuck like glue in similar conditions. After 12-15,000mi, these tires change and behave different without warning, take it for what you want. As for these bridges/overpasses they are the hidden type where you really can't see them or notice while driving. I discovered the one in the G8 by looking at Google Maps and saw that there was a tunnel right where I started to slide. The one involving my 1le I didn't know until I went to jump over the GM wall to get out of traffic and noticed it was a huge drop, thank god I just didn't blindly jump. I have driven this interstate every day for 15+years. As for the location where I crashed the G8, they just resurfaced the roadway this December because too many people were crashing because the top finish on the asphalt wasn't the right type, too smooth. I just wanted to tell people my experiences and know that as these A/S tires wear, the characteristics change and one could experience unpredictability.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #17
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
I just wanted to tell people my experiences and know that as these A/S tires wear, the characteristics change and one could experience unpredictability.
Well put. Changes my perception of yours and Billy's posts.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #18
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Dude that sucks!!! Our numbers are dwindling fast in the 1le club��
Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #19
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
That blows! At least you're OK.

Damn that was a beautiful 1LE.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #20
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
Crashed two cars? Only one thing for sure in common here lol.
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #21
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
First off, very sorry to hear about this OP. Glad that you have a line on another car and most importantly, glad everyone is ok! This story along with Billy's story bring back many memories of "oh shit" moments that we have all had. In my case, the end results have varied from Billy's near miss to OP's game over scenario. In both these cases, and in all of my events that were not caused by the negligence of another driver, my decisions played a key roll in both why it happened and how the situation ended. Being honest with myself, I usually had to shoulder a lot of the blame. By that I mean I was plain and simply going too fast for the situation. Yes, I had done it 100 times before without incident, and then just a little something changed. Maybe it was a few degrees cooler, a little more wear on the tires, some gravel in the road....you get what I am saying. The point is that if I was driving on public roads at a level where a slight change in conditions caused a situation that put my life or someone else's life in danger, than I was in the wrong...big time! And sure, with luck or God given talent, you get through it 99% of the time, but the cost for the times you don't may be a price much higher than you want to pay. Thanks for the write-up OP and Billy, and lets be careful out there.

Last edited by gajagfan; 01-25-2017 at 12:24 PM.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #22
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Wait a while to beat the guy up. He just lost his car.
frenchsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #23

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
Its suck to lose the car, especially that 1 LE! She was so beautiful.... Sorry, but any accident you walk away, is a good accident. What every the case was, it happen and it over, just live and learn. Good luck in your adventures and hopeful you get your self another sweet ride.

I am new to this camaro world. So what brand are AS tire did you have on?
Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #24
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
I hope I did not come across as beating anyone up. It was not the intent.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #25
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
Seriously! I was surprised to keep reading through this post and seeing how many folks went ahead and lit the flame on this guy. Without being there, seeing the road, what happened, etc, it's anybody's guess on what actually went down. I've definitely seen an all-season do some scary things in the cold. Did the drive play a part, probably - and I'm sure he already knows that and doesn't need our help feeling crappy about dumping his pride and joy.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!

Last edited by acammer; 01-25-2017 at 04:14 PM.
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #26
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I hope I did not come across as beating anyone up. It was not the intent.
My above post wasn't directed at you. You took the time to walk through your response - it's reasonable. Some of these other guys are just putting the flame on. I'm sure they've never made a mistake behind the wheel.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #27
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Thanks to the people who have had my back. I also know other people have their opinions which are derived from personal experiences. But there is several common factors. Obviously, speed/power application was the cause of the crashes because the tires were overloaded one way or the other. But it was due to tires/compound changing drastically from one winter to the other. I have driven on the G2's at 20degs and I would say these A/S change to that type of unpredictably under certain circumstances. If anyone has driven on the G2's in cold enough weather and taken a left turn at a intersection from a dead stop, and have had the rear end kick just a tad because of the slight release of the clutch shifting into 2nd, that is what it is like. That slight shock is enough to break traction. I did self reflect after my first crash and beat myself up about it and I knew there had to be a reason other than "too fast for conditions", was scared to death to take the off-ramp/turn at the speed limit in great weather conditions. After the second I was still trying to figure things out until I read Billy10mm's post, put it all in perspective. I just wanted people to hear/lean from my experience and know these tires can/will get very unpredictable in certain weather/circumstances. Thanks again for all the posts, even from the skeptics/realists. Except from the trolls from time to time everyone on here is great!
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #28
SS MoFo

Drives: 2014 SS/RS 1LE
Admittedly, road surface friction on bridges can be unpredictable.... Are you going to be selling your 10 spoke wheels ?
SS MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote